1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Hm, I myself am not sure. Re-rolling means adding another random factor, whereas not re-rolling means that the same path stays, no matter whether the path is great or totally dumb.

For the solution of this, I could either imagine a vote, players can vote for a remake on the same path or for a completely new path.
    To prevent the re-rolling until one is happy, maybe add the requirement that the current round has to be ended, the team is defeated. It is not a 100% save, tho, as players could simply wait until some rounds passed and then remake. It could also lead to conflicts if some players want to play on a certain path, but others disagree, ruining gameplay for both sites.

2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For now I'll just make it a simple same-terrain reroll triggered by unanimous vote, only available before wave 5 and after defeat (players might sometimes "gg" when they think they've lost but actually end up surviving).

Rerolling the terrain requires some more work on the terrain generator that isn't priority at the moment.

3. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Nice Map! Seems Promising.

4. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think the fortress bunker has an ability which it shouldn't have :p

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've changed the path generator to join players' paths at more consistent locations:
    Example
    [​IMG]

As you can see, blue goes to the goal, teal joins halfway into blue, purple joins halfway into teal, yellow joins halfway into purple, etc.

This will make the game much easier in multiplayer, as it is unlikely that all of the spawns will reach the goal at the same time.

The downside of this is that the longest path is longer, which means games will be longer.

I might try:
    blue goes to path
    teal and purple join blue
    yellow and orange join teal
    green (and pink, when added) join orange

EDIT: It was easier than expected.
    Examples of new method
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hehe, there have been a few of those gems with the different map versions I've been going between :p (the souls coming out of creeps received the barrage ability, lol)

EDIT2:
    Update 0.42
    changelog
    - New Fortress tower: Mercenary
    - Small adjustment to path difficulty calculation
    - Level 0 creeps don't take lives and provide no bounty
    - Added option to remake game
    - Added "undo" feature for selling a tower - if you sell a tower within 5 seconds of building it, you get 100% refund
    - Voting for extended game fixed to be possible even with leavers or bots
    - Fixed some graphics bugs
    - Difficulty (initial and scaling) calculation based on number of players rebalanced, should be easier for larger groups at low difficulties.
    - Changed path generator to join players' paths at more consistent locations.
    - New ability for City House: Mortgage

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  6. Great job!

I think 5 seconds are a very close time intervall.
    Example: A olayer builds a Gate not on a street ( I don't know whether it still attacks), I need around four seconds to tell the player how to build it and then the undo intervall is over.

I think it might be a good idea to either extend it a bit or, this is a solution I favour, add a system that checks whether the tower already had an effect on creeps or other towers. Much more complicated, but the combination of both could be an interesting solution.

Something else that came to my mind, what about a command to allow players to end a round ? Especially for single player this could be a great addition, for multi player am not sure, voting for it probably takes more time than the creep needs to finish the path ( same for 'ready' command, by the way, for some reason most playere do not use it, but waiting until the timer is expired).

7. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Excellent idea.
    - 30 seconds or ability cast/attack made, whichever comes first

Thanks for mentioning the gate, that's actually something I forgot to add (when placing a gate it should check terrain type)

I've been thinking about this for a while, I just haven't decided on the implementation.

One option I considered was to have the creeps "fast forward" (move at double speed) while not being damaged. I'll probably give this method a shot.

For unreadying players, I'll add the following:
    - column on the multiboard to indicate which players are ready
    - when a player doesn't have gold to build anything, they ready-up automatically
    - every ready-up after the 2nd/3rd one will reduce the timer by a few seconds

Anyway, I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the new difficulty!

EDIT:
    Of course any new feature needs to have some hilarious bugs during creation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mXSm55A7iI
    (Please excuse the unnecessary black borders, only noticed after uploading)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Hm, to be honest, I personally don't like the method as shown in the video, as the creeps movement offer a great possibility for glitches.

I could think of removing the 'Fast Forward' if a creep ( the first creep) comes in a certain range of a player's building.

Example: The creeps stop 'Fast Forward' before they come in attack range of the tower in the video.

By the way, does this work for multi player, too ? Do all creeps move faster then ?

9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The glitched movement is a bug, which has been fixed.

It will work for multiplayer yes, but all creeps share the same cooldown and fast forward. All creeps must be untouched for 5 seconds and then all creeps engage fast forward, and all creeps stop fast forward if any creep is attacked.

EDIT: The margin of error between a fast forward creep entering a tower's range and being attacked is unnoticeable, maybe a distance of about 100 (which is insignificant). The new implementation is smooth and follows the path perfectly.

I'll make it an optional thing.

With the new staggered path method, though, it will be rare for creeps to go unattacked long enough to fast forward.

10. Ah alright, then never mind.

When can we expect new builders, like the hero builder ? I am very excited for it.

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I first want to make the excel formula for tower balancing before adding any new towers. No progress on that since the last graph I posted, unfortunately. Requires a lot of thought and my full concentration.

Next builder will probably be Dwarf, as I haven't figure out exactly how I want make the hero race.

Dwarf builder focus:
    - Bit of micro needed, but not as much as Fortress
    - Artillery with mapwide range and supporting towers
    - Generic gold mine as with goblin

Vague idea of how hero builder will work:
    - 5 or so of the towers are heroes that gain experience from nearby kills
    - 2 of the towers are shops that can sell items to heroes
    - 2 of the towers are shops that can sell abilities to heroes

Alternative:
    - First tower is a tavern that can train heroes
    - 20 or so heroes available, can only have one of each
    - Rest of the towers support heroes, e.g. shops or fountains
    - Heroes can maybe move around

12. Sounds very promising and unique.
    Do you already have plans on how many builders are going to be available in the final version ?

13. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No specific limit planned, I'll just kinda stop when I get bored of the project. I just want to get it in a good state before that happens so that I can hand it over to another mapper for caretaking and further updates.

Other races I have planned:
    Nature - Buildings "grow" from each other, inspired by Sprout TD.
    Spellcasters - No attacks, each tower has a powerful spell that must be manually cast. Some towers can auto-cast the spells for you.
    Chaos/Fusion - Builder has the option of building 4 types of portals, you build several portals close together within a few seconds and a different tower is generated based on the combination.
    Element/Gem - Inspired by Gemcraft TD (the flash/steam game), towers are empty slots for you to place gems in, you can combine gems to make more powerful ones etc.
    Various themed races

14. That sounds very interesting, I hope you do not get bored of this projects soon.

If I am allowed to make a suggestion, what do you think about a builder that build like in Power Towers ?
    If you don't know the TD, it is a TD where you build towers and they have to be supplied with energy (=mana) generated from generators, so they have to be linked to the generator.

I am very excited for new versions.
    If I could suggest something: MakeMeHost has a special feature for map creators to allow them to manage their maps themselves. They state they give priority to the upload, I am not sure what it means, but I suppose you can upload them immediately instead of waiting for a moderator to approve them.
    What do you think about it ? It would make the testing and playing much more easier because, as I said before, before a version is approved you already released a new one meaning the old version is kind of outdated.

15. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be honest it's amazing that I've come so far with this map without abandoning it like many of my other maps :p

You are of course allowed to make suggestions, I very much desire them.

I have played Power Towers before (and even made a similar custom map where players are power utilities that provide mana to houses), and that's definitely a good idea that I'll include.

I'll do the MMH thing, a few more clicks every time I upload a new version is no problem :)

16. Thank you! :) I don't know whether they react to this feature, I experienced some inactivity of them, but I am not experienced with the feature I suggested, so I don't know. I am going to ask Heaven Editor, I suggested him the same.
    Well, isn't this map unique ? I ( and many others) would be very disappointed if you abandon this project, that's for sure :)

Hm, I would have these ideas, well, just some inspiration:

Basics Maps with similar concepts/ Inspiration
    Towers have to be supplied with energy/mana generated by generators Power Towers
    Instead of towers only barracks are built which train units that can move around the map Direct TD; Legion TD
    Elemental Builder: Different building techs, depending on elements. These different elemental towers interfere each other and are influenced by buffs and such ( maybe also towers from other builders)
    Example: A unit with a frost buff takes less damage from fire-based towers
    None as far as I know, maybe Elemental TD, to a certain extend
    Bandits: A builder that can build majorly support towers that are strong against a certain kind, like air or boss, but are weak against mass or normal units.
    -
    'Buff' builder: A builder that has hardly attack towers, but is focused on supporting towers of other players with buffs and auras.
    -
    Well, I don't know how to call this builder, but it is basically a builder that build only one tower, but this tower can use a lot of upgrades and the player can buy new weapons and such
    Unknown TD ( it is called this way)
    The Builder can build only place holder towers and the player has to buy manually weapons for the towers via a workshop or smith
    Paladin TD
    Trap builder: A builder that can only build traps, having many different effects, but being not a major damage dealer
    -
    Swarm Builder: A builder that can build a lot of cheap towers, basically mass towers that become stronger with each tower build ( inspired by the Zerg)
    StarCraft II

Well, I think it is important to focus on a few builders, as I could extend this list into hundreds of ideas.
    This is just a table with ideas I would consider when making a TD, so I don't mind if you just ignore it :)

17. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    I hope there will be new races for every one of these in the future.

18. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really like the changes to the Fortress race!

Three things I have to mention are:

1. The Tactician's 'Order' ability is bugged. Not that it does not swap positions, but the targeted tower looses the 'Auto-Micro' icon.

2. The Berserker seems a bit less useful than the other Fortess towers. For some reason IMO it's much more efficient to save up a bit more money for a Yurt than to upgrade to a Berserker. Thus my bunkers end up as the Kodo-tower every time^^

3. When upgreading the Yurt to Tundra Yurt in the description the attack speed does not change but in it's Attack stats it's attack speed description turns green for some reason as if it has a buff.

19. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Ardenian
    That's a mighty fine list you got there :)

I've just received my mapper's priority upload account on MMH, 0.42 is on there already. From now on I'll upload new versions on there as well as soon as I release a new update.

@jopi
    1. It's got a casting time, worked last time I tried it. I'll have a look and probably change how it's triggered to make it a bit more obvious.

2. I'll have a look at the numbers again.

3. Thought I had fixed this. Meh.

20. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok, a little bit of visualisation, as I have the feeling you got me wrong on the Tactician :)

See the screenshots below.

Attached Files: