1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. I am glad that I could help you :)

I am not sure whether it was in this replay, but my team encountered a bug where the upkeep of the fortress builder was not given to the owner, but to another player ( I am sure it was in the infinite replay I sent you).

2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I noticed that. But I'm not sure if I want to change it or not.

Your income is shared, so for the sake of consistency your upkeep is also shared, as upkeep is just negative income.

I think I'll change it when I add a gold sharing mechanic. You've probably noticed that regular gold giving is disabled. This is done because it would be very OP (and lame) for one or two players to just go pure income and let the other players build all the towers. I'm planning a give mechanic where you're limited to giving X amount of gold to another player per round.

3. That sounds good, I think it is a good idea. So one player could focus on income while the other is building towers and such.

4. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.38

Changelog
    - The first wave can no longer be a flying wave.
    - Increased initial setup time to 2 minutes
    - Fixed some more bugs with the end cinematic
    - Soul Chiller now keeps the Soul Collection ability after upgrade
    - Shadow Gold Mine now collects souls from any players' kills
    - Changed the path generator to limit segment size instead of waiting for each segment to exit the map. This means the path is always generated quickly, and no paths will be exceedingly long, so games will generally be shorter.
    - Added minimap icon for path nodes and changed the creep player to red.
    - Increased player limit to 6
    - Added a ready button and commands list to builders
    - Game length can now be extended to infinite by vote during the game
    - Fixed Fortress buffs not working on allies' towers
    - Implemented SpellEvent (under the bonnet, no effect on gameplay)
    - You can now add computer players in lobby, which can be controlled by other players.
    - When a player leaves, all other players gain control of the leaving player as if it were a bot.
    - Added the ability to give gold to another player, which has a transfer fee.

Expect bugs! :p

Next version will have a few more necessary under-the-bonnet changes, afterwards I'll be fixing the Fortress race.

5. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    need changes :)
    I hope I can test it as soon as possible!

6. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.39
    Nothing notable for the changelog, just trigger system changes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  7. I played v038 and there are a few issues:

• If a player leaves, then his stuff is shared, but the board which shows lifes and income disappears and a new one shows the team resources instead.
    • Shared buildings don't show range ( range ability).
    • There is an issue with the promotions of shared buildings. It sometimes says the player has not enough gold to upgrade it when he has, and sometimes I can upgrade promotions although the player has not enough gold.

Could you change the -n so it shows the next wave while the current one is spawning and could you make it visible to all players ? So if one player types in -n then all players see the next wave information, please ?

8. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Scoreboard - Fixed

Range ability - Not sure if this is fixable with the current implementation without causing too much clutter. The range circle is only visible to the owner of the tower, which is still the leaving player. Showing it to all players would cause range circles for players that probably don't want to see them. I might add an ability for the builder that can target a tower to show its range.

Promotions - the current promotion system will most likely be scrapped, so I won't be fixing this until further progress with the race.

Next wave - I'll upgrade the scoreboard to include this information, the -n command will no longer be needed.

9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.40
    Changelog
    - Fixed scoreboard breaking when a player leaves
    - The next wave now appears on the multiboard
    - Path generator size adjusted, max map size now scales linearly with number of players. Single-player path is smaller (reduce the chance of getting a path without good features)
    - Added repick ability
    - Added tutorial cinematic
    - Fixed new round starting after you've been defeated
    - Replaced minimap path display

10. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like the new visuals and the shorter paths.
    I attached a replay where you can see what I meant with banished units using their abilities multiple time without a cooldown. There was only one wave of it and I did not find any other bug.

Attached Files:

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Fixed.

The problem was related to Auto Micro (as always!), after the "attacked unit" variable is changed, the related unit custom value variable was still set to the previous "attacked unit" value, so creeps were basically taking other creeps' cooldowns.

12. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That actually sounds like a pretty awesome system for something intentional in the future.

13. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your progress is quite impressive.

14. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.41
    Changelog
    - Fixed an issue with creeps' ghost form.
    - Path on minimap now displays path more accurately, and you will no longer see random pieces of blight on the map.
    - You can now pre-skip the tutorial cinematic by pressing Esc at any time before it starts.
    - Reworked Fortress race (credit to Kino)

New focus is on balance.

Currently, towers are balanced empirically (recording damage in a test wave), but this is both slow and not very useful for longer ranged towers.

Once I've made a good equation that can accurately tell me a tower's proper gold cost, adding new content will be much quicker.

15. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hmm, this is fun in single player, but gets more confusing as there are more players (I don't remember how many players does this support?).

Here is my suggestion. Since the creep's path is random, maybe at the beginning (before the first wave) give players times to observe the map first so they can arrange their strategies with friends. But of course players aren't allowed to build towers within the period. Then they may start the first wave by typing "start" or something when ready (up to you). ;)

Good luck with the project btw.

16. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It currently supports 6, and I'll raise this soon.

Yes, I realise it can be a little overwhelming, even with the arrows on the floor.

Thanks for your suggestion, it gives me another idea that would be useful: during preparation time, some "example" creeps (invulnerable ghosts) move along the path to indicate where they go.

17. Hm, I think there is some unbalance at the moment, if more players join.

Example: four players are playing, all four races are chosen -> no problem

Second Example: six players are playing, four players don't listen at all and go city -> leaks for air waves and usually for boss, too

Of course, this is highly dependent on player experience and whether the team mates are listening to what others say. But, more players increase the difficulty and with a certain combination, it becomes impossible to survive, especially for air and boss waves.
    I am not sure, but in the future there could be a tendency that teams only go with four players, no matter how many slots can be filled, as more players make it even for 'pros' hard to not to leak, even with team play and speaking with the other players.

18. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The difficulty scaling based on player count is currently a little arbitrary; your feedback is probably the best data I have to work with at the moment!

I'll reduce the player factor a bit.

Reasoning for the scaling: With more players, it's to easy to simply all build together at the goal. Scaling expects players to do this, and makes creeps tougher to account for this.

Another thing I will work on to improve this is wave timing. The location where paths join is random, so you have anything from all creeps reach the goal at the same time to creeps all come with gaps between. I'll adjust the path join locations to make this more consistent - specifically, I plan to have creeps not arrive at the goal simultaneously (the alternative would make splash damage overpowered).

Please provide any and all feedback when you play multiplayer:
    - Difficulty
    - Number of players
    - How far you got
    - Strategy used
    etc
    Much appreciated.

balancing progress
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Sounds very enjoyable!

Another thing that came to my mind, for some reason there is often a swarm wave as initial wave ( are they random ?, sometimes I have a feeling as if they aren't, but stay the same every game), which makes it hard for especially new players as they might not be aware of the necessity to build splash or immolation buildings.
    This should be fine when experienced players make them aware of the swarm wave and they see the next wave tooltip, but, as Quilnez already said, some time to explore could be a good addition.

A, something else, I am not sure about this, but, what do you think about an in-game remake option ? There are pro's and con's, but it could be a good idea to give players the option to vote for a remake.

20. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They are random, first wave has 3 variations:
    Chicken (normal)
    Rabbit (swarm)
    Dog (fast)

What I'll do is make the first wave take no lives and provide no bounty, so that it's a test wave to show you how the game works.

Brilliant idea, can't believe I haven't thought of this before.

Should the path also be re-rolled? I'm leaning no, it might take too long and minmax players such as myself would keep rerolling until happy with the map lol.