1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the replay.

I think I've found the problem - I recently moved all "on attack" effects into the same trigger, including Auto Micro. The Auto Micro trigger overwrites the "unit id" variables which should be the creep's id to the tower's id, which is why it goes mad like that.

Fix incoming!

2. wcity

wcity

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    what max gold for the haunted mine? it take spirits but don't understand why stop

3. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

I might rework it to have infinite souls but with diminishing returns.

4. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    one single haunted mine has a maximum on 20. The second Mine you build adds 20 to the maximum, and so on.

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.37
    changelog
    - Camera bounds now shrink to the size of the maze
    - Fixed Fortified ability preventing positive buffs
    - Fixed various bugs related to creep abilities
    - Marketplace's cart now aims for a creep instead of picking a random direction
    - Call to Arms now has a militia limit
    - End-game stats now shown on defeat as well
    - New creep ability: Growing Plate
    - Reduced max maze size slightly
    - When a player leaves, their resources are divided among remaining players and they no longer drain income
    - When upgrading a barracks, footmen are now removed
    - New tileset: Ashenvale

Haven't reworked the fortress race yet, still trying to decide how exactly to do it.

6. Could you add a shared control to left players, please ?

As you can see in the infinite replay I sent you, a player built a treasury at an important tile and ruined a bit our build, but he did not listen to the other players.
    Some time later he left and there was this little treasury, blocking our build.
    I would be glad if you think about it.

7. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In the new version, the leaver's towers are given to other players.

8. Ah alright, just knew about income, I am sorry.

9. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For some reason my cathedral was MVT with 825 Damage :D

10. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What a powerful cathedral :p (it was a very silly code error, can't believe I left out that line lol)

11. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I encountered a new bug with the blink ability :)
    Instead of blinking to the next point, some units just leave the path and go to that point.
    After that they walk to the spawn point and stay there.

12. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    :(

Replay please?

EDIT: Found another error with it, hopefully this is the last fix.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  13. Here is a replay of v037, it is available on MakeMeHost now.

One thing I can remember is that one of the abilities of Fire Pit or Banner ( Fortress Builder) states to give bonus to allied buildings, whereas it actually does to player-owned only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  14. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I must say, I really love this.

We need more time in the beginning to see what our builders do and examine the path. Give us an extra 30 seconds.

Air on wave 1 is not cool. Players who start with ground-only towers are then useless. This is artificial difficulty; something that anyone who's played enough will easily counter simply by starting with towers that hit air. Difficulty that affects only new players and not experienced players is not what you want. It's also lame that air waves on round 1 are usually spread out so much that the city builder is completely defenseless against them; its cheapest tower is 30g, hits ground only, and its next tower, 95g with anti-air, is still useless against them because they are spread out more than its splash radius so that it still hits only one enemy (and leaves them with 1-15% health).

I like that the builder moves instantly to build sites or wherever you order him to. I wish every TD would use that, and I don't know why I never thought of it myself. I'll be doing that in my TD as well, thank you.

The Soul Catcher stops gaining damage after you upgrade it. Is this intentional? This is very disappointing. You should make it colored in the tooltip that it stops gaining damage, if that's what you want it to do.

It might be a good idea to change the soul catcher into a tower hero; instead of automatically gaining X amount of damage, it could gain points to spend on bonuses for the owner to choose, such as damage, slow (increasing slow and duration slightly with each point), attack speed, etc.

It seems like, with shared income, you get the income shared by the rest of your team excluding yourself. This is kind of lame, because it essentially means that the people who are producing the most income receive the least amount of shared income, making it so that expensive builders like the city builders aren't actually getting the extra income they're focusing on because while other players are getting half of their high income, they're getting half of the minuscule income generated by other players.

It would be cool if players could still vote for infinite mode during the game.

For some more terrain variety, you could use doodads with replaceable textures to really enhance the randomly generated terrain. You could either do this completely randomly, or you could have the textures they use be dependent on the dominant tileset.

In case you aren't familiar with replaceable textures, here's a tutorial on it:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...odad-without-importing-several-models-222212/

I suppose if the destructibles have pathing, like trees, you'd want to have it check for the distance to the path before placing them so they don't get in players' way.

Edit: I opened up your map. Your 5-second imported audio is 900 KB. You should really compress it and use a different format. You could easily get it to under 100 KB and still sound great. It's also way too loud.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Fair point, I'll change it.

It's intentional.

Balance-wise, Soul Catchers are not valuable if they don't get at least a certain amount of kills. The upgrade was added to give some purpose to Soul Catchers built late game. I don't really mind either way, you're not the first to request this so I think I'll just add the ability for the upgrade as well.

I'll be adding a hero race, and I want to avoid race redundancy. I might add an upgrade for the Soul Catcher or Shadow Gold Mine that can use souls as currency for various things, but not as a hero tower.

To be honest I haven't played in multiplayer enough to have much of an opinion on this. It's shared because too often I've played TDs where it's rewarding for one player to just spam gold mines all throughout the game and have 10x more gold than everyone else by the end, any vast discrepancy in value like that is pretty lame. Many TDs often also devolve into one player at the goal getting all the kills and everyone else thinking it's lame.

Currently, the breakdown is:
    50% to self
    remaining 50% is divided among all players, including yourself

As it is you get more out of it than your team. If other players aren't building any gold mines at all, the problem is not so much the mechanic but rather their lack of teamwork.

If you have another solution, please advise.

Excellent idea, I'll add this.

I've been meaning to look for that tutorial in order to add trees, thanks for the link :)

Hehe, that's one of those spur-of-the-moment things that skipped the QC filter :p (will fix)

16. Funny thing: Around 50% of the games I played had an initial swarm wave. One time we lost as we had no Shadow..

17. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You mean you'd already known of that tutorial before and needed to find it again? Cool! That makes me happy because I actually wrote that tutorial.:ogre_love:
    I didn't realize anyone had even read it.:grin:

If a player wants to spam gold mines, what's the harm in that? That's their decision, and they pay for it by not having the gold they'd spent on the mines for immediate use on towers. You could also fix this by changing it into an upgrade that does the same thing, with the same cost, only with the cost increasing by 5 gold per level. This isn't much of a difference, but it's enough that players who spam gold mines won't be getting absurd profit and players who make a few gold mines won't really be penalized. You could still add 30% of the income to the shared pool, but keep 70% of it for the player. The problem with sharing the gold 50/50 is that it cuts the payment received by the creating player in half. This means that it will take 20 levels just to get their money back, so while they're helping the team, they're really leaving themselves too broke to get their gold's worth for defense. After 20 painstaking levels, they finally get their money back that they'd spent (200 spent, 20 per level, receiving 50% of that), and then make a short profit before the game ends (unless playing infinite levels). Unless they build their banks on round 1, they're not even making profit. You could also help players get their money back faster without making the profit OP by, rather than giving 20 per level as the base, giving 25 until the player has received the cost back for that bank and then giving only 15 for each level afterwards. This would help with both the early-game uselessness of banks and the late-game OPness of banks.

You could also split the gold from kills based on the total damage dealt by each player at the end of each wave. Sure, this doesn't take into account people who help with slows and buffs, but neither do kill rewards; at least this would fix the issue of one person weakening everything and getting no gold because it's all finished off by the person at the back.

18. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yep, it caught my eye when you posted it. Seemed like something I'd have a use for one day, but this day is much later than anticipated!

Btw, formatting error:

( at the end)

19. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

Thanks, I saw this a year ago but didn't bother to fix it for some reason. It's fixed now.

20. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finally had a look at this, thanks for providing it as always :)

Put another 5-10 bugs on the list from watching.

By the way, the Fortress builder will be mostly reworked.