• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I was very unentertained, so I opened up WE and made this. Yes, I used Ashenvale Canopy Trees, I'm sorry! Comments and crits are welcome!

Attachments

• ValleyRiver1.jpg
    ValleyRiver1.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 166
  • ValleyRiver2.jpg
    ValleyRiver2.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 162
  • ValleyRiver3.jpg
    ValleyRiver3.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 175
Level 6
First Pic:
The texture looks stretched, and its also onesided add a second texture.
The place from where the water comes... it doesnt look much realistic but eh just a minor detail.
Also iam not a fan of these angled rocks they doesnt look nice.
You could also add more rocks on the side of the waterfall.
The lower left side looks abit empty~

Second Pic:
This one looks empty... and the waterfall in the small river doesnt look as good as it could be. Add more of these waterfalls it should help.

Third Pic:
This hill is awful, add some more heigh variation to it. And smooth it!
The canopy trees could use some variation in height.

Nice screenshots, but they doesnt look finished. But dont take this serious, i always jugde after the best screens i saw and set those as the minimal standard.

Level 3
Thanks for all of your comments! I really appreciate them and after I fixed what was pointed out, I think it looks a lot better.

I gave the waterfall a souce (I think it looks a bit cheesy, but it's better than it randomly condensing in mid air), I completly redid the mini-waterfall (I really wasn't happy with it to begin with either), and I got rid of all of the canopy trees and smoothed that hill, along with the rest of the terrain around the river.

Once again, suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• ValleyRiver2a.jpg
    ValleyRiver2a.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 142
  • ValleyRiver2b.jpg
    ValleyRiver2b.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 103
  • ValleyRiver2c.jpg
    ValleyRiver2c.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 117
Level 6
Now that looks much better but i think i still find something.

First Pic:
The 2 single rocks on the left side doesnt fit into the picture, they look displaced. But i dont like rocks angled this way.

Second:
Good work i have nothing to say

Third:
You could use alittlebit more the smooth tool on the mountain, also it looks like the trees in the background hover in the air.
Also imho there are way to much cattles on one place.

Level 3
I fixed it up again and I took the pictures from a different (and I think better) angle. One of the "rocks" was part of the spire, so I just rotated it out of sight, and the other was a spire that had been foreshortened, so I got rid of that and replaced it with a larger spire sunk into the ground, which actually looked better anyways. I smoothed out the sides of the valley and gave it a new angle (the cattails turned out to be just a few lined up to look like they were crowded) and I think the new angle looks better anyways.

Thanks for your help, any further suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• ValleyRiver3a.jpg
    ValleyRiver3a.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 96
  • ValleyRiver3b.jpg
    ValleyRiver3b.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 137
Level 6
The first is a realy cool idea, but the most of the screen is blocked by this tree.
The second one looks boring...

Level 3
The first is a realy cool idea, but the most of the screen is blocked by this tree.
The second one looks boring...

Yes and yes.

I think that it's been improved, especially the mini-waterfall, which I really wasn't happy with to begin with. Thanks for all of your help, I really enjoy terraining.

Level 3
Well I'm glad you liked them so much! I'll agree with you that the river scene is pretty plain, I was a bit nervous of spamming doodads, which I really hate. I try to place most of my doodads individually (exempting the trees and the doodads among them) because I think it looks better that way.

Thanks for your comments! They're always welcome, good or bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.