• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Question about the skin rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

After a long break due to real-life issues i started modelling again. Today i finished a model, but i'm not sure if i can upload it. I'm also not aware whether this question belongs here or to the model section, but i am not sure if the model is allowed due to a custom skin it uses. The custom skin it uses is directly imported and converted into .blp from World of Warcraft. After reading the General Resource Rules i thought it will be OK to upload the model, since the skin is a Blizzard Entertainment resource. But after reading the Skin Submission Rules i got somewhat puzzled. On the one hand it's allowed to use Blizzard Resources as long as they're made to fit into WC3 but on the other hand a skin must be 75% own work which would mean this skin is not allowed.

So what rules apply now to my case? Am i allowed to upload the model along with the skin it uses (proper credits are going to be given and i would in case of allowance mention that the skin isn't mine, no question!).

Considering the hive is going to accept WoW RIPs for reforged....

We are going to have 2 more sections though and I would like to keep them separated as good as I can.
Wc3, WOW rips and reforged models that is.

Personally, I would not want any WOW rips in the wc3 section, but as a different section I think it is totally fine.
As a resource maker I would feel 'cheaped-out' if I see WOW rips besides heavy edit or scratch made models. I would really like to prevent that from happening, but I guess that is only a concern that art resource providers have.

Quite honestly, I don't see a big problem in using a heavily edited WOW skin, but we should also not make big exceptions for the rules we have.
I would rather you edit the skin just not only to match the wc3 stlye (and not make it look WOW-ish) but also to make the model fit the rules.
Yeah, though this skin is not edited in any way, it's simply converted. Ok, i guess i'll make the model use an ingame skin, as i always did. I just wanted to use a different skin this time for bringing some variation into the game

Considering the hive is going to accept WoW RIPs for reforged....
Rly? Obviously i missed quite a few things in my absence.... So reforged models will be models that use wow-skins but have a remade mesh and bones made to fit into WC3?

We are going to have 2 more sections though and I would like to keep them separated as good as I can.
Wc3, WOW rips and reforged models that is.

Personally, I would not want any WOW rips in the wc3 section, but as a different section I think it is totally fine.
As a resource maker I would feel 'cheaped-out' if I see WOW rips besides heavy edit or scratch made models. I would really like to prevent that from happening, but I guess that is only a concern that art resource providers have.
I agree with you in this. Warcraft stays Warcraft and the rest is another story on its own.....

True! Same for me. I wanted to use this time a wow skin for bringing some more variation into the game since there are only 2 or 3 standard horse skins, but i guess i will stick to the ingame skins nevertheless. It should be prevented to allow rips from Wow in WC3, they simply don't fit from quality and make other people's work look cheap.....

Thanks for the replies anyways! ;)

Uhhh.. a bit unclear at the moment, probably still debated in the staff section.
I think pure copies will be accepted, your would be in the greyzone, honestly no clue which section to put it in if the sections are seperate.
That's why i asked. I myself am quite puzzled as to what rule applies exactly. I mean, the problem is that the model itself would be allowed as a resource, but the skin is somewhat an issue.......
Anyways i decided to use the ingame horse skins nevertheless, this eliminates the entire problem

Well if FULL rips are accepted, so will yours.
Question is just where it should be placed really.
Yes, maybe.
That's a good question.....maybe it needs a separate fourth category named Half-Rips :p JK! ;)
Anyways, cause there's in this case no real reason for using the rip-skin since there are good ingame substitutes, i remade the model with an ingame skin

Status
Not open for further replies.