• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
This is just a quick and probably stupid question. I've played Warcraft 3 for a long time, but am brand new at any kind of modding, and WE. When I DL custom skins, it says they replace skins. This means it uses the custom skin and not the game skin. Is there any way to use the custom skins and keep the originals, and use both on the same map? IE., in WE just make a custom unit and assign the custom texture to it, while still having the regular unit with the game texture available?

I've looked around the forums & haven't really seen an answer to this.
It's probably common knowledge, but I'm brand new at this. :confused:

Level 11
There are 2 different ways to create/use custom skins/models. The simple is to import and assign a custom skin to a model it fits on. In this case the imported skin simply replaces an existing skin and the old skin ist lost. The complex way and the only one to be able to use different skins for the "same" model ist to create new models and assign the skin to it. You can edit the *.mdl file of an model (assign the new skin) and rename it or you can create a complete new model in 3ds max f.e. There are several tutorials to this theme, go and have a look.

Thy

Level 11
You can do it only with notepad or another texteditor. Just convert the *.mdx-file to a *.mdl. Than open it in the texteditor. In the textfile you search for the line:

Model "nameofthebasemodel"

Edit there the name in whatever you want.

Than search for the line:

Textures 1 {
Bitmap {
Image "Skinofthebasemodel.blp",
}
}

Edit the name of the *.blp to the name of the new skin.

Save the *.mdl-file and convert it back to *.mdx.
Import, assign and test. That should work

Thy

Level 2
Heh, heh. Figured it out. Thanks for the assistance. :thumbs_up:

WC3ScreenShot1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.