• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Projectile & Missile Tutorial

204280-albums7459-picture86406.png

Tools: World Editor, Object Editor.

204280-albums7459-picture86409.png
To start off you must understand what a projectile or a missile is, a missile or projectile is a ranged attack, some sort of object or anything is thrown, pushed or moved at a unit damaging the targeted unit from afar, thus it is called a ranged attack. This tutorial will cover everything you need to know about using and customizing missiles and projectiles for your ranged units.

As you may already know that every ranged unit has projectiles and missiles, some of them are different from each other. But the main thing is still the same in each and every one of them.

Definitions:
204280-albums7459-picture86404.png

Projectile Impact - is a point where the missile will hit the targeted unit.
Ex: Rifleman shoots a peasant, this is the point the peasant will receive a physical missile at (the model of the missile.).

Projectile Launch - is a point where the unit will launch the missile from.
Ex: Rifleman shoots a peasant, in the launch point shall show up a bullet (missile/ projectile) that will head towards the peasant. This is the point where the missile will come from.

130361d1383002986-using-reflections-terraining-240px-coord_system_ca_0.svg.png

Z - (Height) Above/below the unit.
X - (Vertical) In front of/behind the unit.
Y - (Horizontal) Next to the unit.

204280-albums7459-picture86407.png

Scale Projectiles - is an option to scale projectiles and missiles according to the unit's size and scale.
Ex: If you scale Archer to 2.00 her missile/ projectile will also be scaled to match her size.

You can also disable this option to keep the missile's original size.

204280-albums7459-picture86408.png

Projectile Arc - is a value to change projectile's angle.
Projectile Art - is the model of the projectile/ missile this is how the projectile will show itself, it is a physical appearance of the projectile/ missile that will move towards the targeted unit.
Ex: Rifleman starts shooting the peasant, the projectile art otherwise called art will show up onto the target. Imagine it as a bullet.

Projectile Homing Enabled - is an option that enables homing on the target.
Ex: This will auto home-in the targeted unit's current location and will fire the missile at the target precisely. Otherwise if you disabled this option it will fire the missile at the old location of the unit. Another example would be a running peasant, if you disable this and attack the peasant, the missile will hit the old location of the peasant- when it was acquired in the first place.

Projectile Speed - is the speed of the missile/ projectile.
Ex: If you want the bullet or the missile to be fast you can set the speed of it in this field above- the same goes for making it slow.

204280-albums7459-picture86405.png

Weapon Sound - this is the sound that the unit will play once he attacked / hit the targeted unit. Missiles usually don't use any weapon sound, it is mainly for a melee attack.

Weapon Type -
Artillery: missile will be fired up in the sky and will drop down to hit the targeted unit.
Ex: Meat Wagon, Catapult.
Artillery (Line): missile will be fired straight in the line to hit the targeted unit.
Ex: Glaive Thrower, Ballista.

Artillery attacks will also cause units to explode on death.

Missile: normal option for making a ranged attack.
Missile (Splash): missile will deal a bonus of splash AOE damage around the targeted unit.
Missile (Bounce): missile will bounce trough targeted nearby units hitting them like a chain.
Missile (Line): missile will get fired straight in a line.

Last edited:
Level 25
Drop the italics and use a regular font colour.

Z - Height
X - Vertical
Y - Horizontal

Doesn't properly describe it.
Z - above/below the unit
X - in front of/behind the unit
Y - next to the unit

Weapon Type:
Artillery - No, it will hit the ground where the unit was standing when the attack was launched. Artillery attacks will also cause units to explode on death.

Drop the italics and use a regular font colour.

Doesn't properly describe it.
Z - above/below the unit
X - in front of/behind the unit
Y - next to the unit

Weapon Type:
Artillery - No, it will hit the ground where the unit was standing when the attack was launched. Artillery attacks will also cause units to explode on death.

I wont change the style of the tutorial, It was made to match. Artillery attack missile will be thrown in the sky where it will hit the targeted unit and this is not a tutorial about "deaths". For example you can see how Meat Wagon works with Artillery attack type..

I will properly describe Z, X, Y definitions later. :)

Level 25
No, the artillery attack usually won't hit a moving unit.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Artillery and Artillery (Line) are. They have zero to do with the motion of the projectile as you describe. It's the projectile arc, as you mention earlier, which determines whether the projectile will "be thrown in the sky" or be "fired in a straight line".

Artillery attacks are mechanically different.
Artillery: Enables Attack Ground ability, projectiles will land where the unit was when launched, targets will explode.
Artillery (line): As above, with the difference being that you can use Spill Range and Spill Radius to have the attack deal damage in a line behind the point of impact.

Level 1
I am sorry, but I have to report some errors here - not concerning the artillery issue

Let's start with the more important one:
"Projectile Impact" defines NOT the projectile impact point of own missiles towards other targets, BUT defines where projectiles will hit the unit you set the value for.

Example: you edit an Rifleman, Projectile Impact - Z will determine on which height missiles thrown AT THE RIFLEMAN will hit him.

So, there is no option to customize where your edited unit shoots at ... kinda pitty though, sometimes that would come handy :ogre_frown:

The second error in the tutorial is more of systematic kind:
If you write an tut about projectiles missiles etc., it's not very senseful to use in examples exactly the one unit with a ranged attack that DOES NOT fire projectiles -- the riflemans weapon type is "Missile Instant", meaning he attacks, and immediately the target will be hit and take the damage, without any flying Thing - so there is no "bullet" in here on which could be applied the discussed values in this section :x

I am sorry, but I have to report some errors here - not concerning the artillery issue

Let's start with the more important one:
"Projectile Impact" defines NOT the projectile impact point of own missiles towards other targets, BUT defines where projectiles will hit the unit you set the value for.

Example: you edit an Rifleman, Projectile Impact - Z will determine on which height missiles thrown AT THE RIFLEMAN will hit him.

So, there is no option to customize where your edited unit shoots at ... kinda pitty though, sometimes that would come handy :ogre_frown:

The second error in the tutorial is more of systematic kind:
If you write an tut about projectiles missiles etc., it's not very senseful to use in examples exactly the one unit with a ranged attack that DOES NOT fire projectiles -- the riflemans weapon type is "Missile Instant", meaning he attacks, and immediately the target will be hit and take the damage, without any flying Thing - so there is no "bullet" in here on which could be applied the discussed values in this section :x

sorry, your point is irrelevant. Projectile Impact does what it says, it is the value point of impact (location) of the missile (where it will hit).

Can any of this be changed by trigger? For example, if I want to cast Slow Missile. Can we slow all the unit's projectile speed in an area for an amount of time? Or, if I want to change the unit's missile art upon an event? I guess Orbs would work for that. But, what about Arc? Can any of these be changed by trigger?

You can't change missile properties through triggers, so unfortunately no.

The most you can do is create hacky workarounds using orbs, attack 2, and morphing. The best solution (imo) is to trigger missiles and damage completely. That way you have full control over everything.

Level 4
Screenshot_147.png

Can someone pls tell me, what number I need to make it look correct?
Currently, the Projectile starts and the point I framed red.

I changed so much on the projectile launch Numbers, but it seems to don't have an effect.