• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Spotlight: Campaign Splitter - Play Custom Campaigns in Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
frontpagebanner-png.413717

A tool that lets you play Custom Campaigns in

Warcraft III: Reforged

authors-note-png.373439

av.jpg

With the release of Warcraft III: Reforged, some features that have been in the game previously have been cut. This includes Custom Campaigns, which is the feature I care about the most. I thought of a solution to this problem that doesn't require people to install a campaign loader, or modify the game installation. Instead of adding the custom campaign data and assets to the game installation, my idea was to extract the maps of the campaign and to merge the campaign data into every one of them. So players can split the campaign into separate maps that can be opened in the Custom Games menu, both in Classic and in Reforged versions of the game.
upper-quotes-png.375983

About the tool

It can split campaign files (w3n) into separate map files (w3m/w3x) and add all the campaign data inside the map files. It can be used to make Custom Campaigns playable in Reforged. You could even create your own Custom Campaigns in the Reforged World Editor, and the players can split them on their own computer. Everything from the campaign is merged correctly into the map files: custom data (units, items, abilities, upgrades, etc.), gameplay variables, custom interface, imports and strings! The tool requires no installation. It is ready to be used as soon as it is downloaded and extracted. It does require Java 8 to be installed.

Tutorial video

Here is a tutorial video Xetanth87 made which shows how to use the Campaign Splitter.

Features

Game Cache - Just like with normal custom campaigns, game cache data like heroes will be saved between chapters.

Play in HD - Even though playing custom campaigns made for SD graphics in HD isn't recommended (because it can lead to unintended results), it is possible for people to play them that way using this tool.

Map Titles - Maps have their titles changed to campaign button titles and have an added index at the start, so they may appear in order in the Custom Games interface.

223206-212b4258cd23e625144101f7d86310a4.png

Difficulty Selector - There is an option to add a difficulty selector to the extracted maps, since you can't select the difficulty in the Custom Games menu. The text inside the difficulty selector is localized to the language of the player.

228935-657e72ef5dca5929223d13f668d472c4.png
228936-ea52be572af0e147b5e2e1d26e6f7065.png

Map Preview - There is an option to replace the map preview with the campaign preview, hiding the minimap.

223521-f8c0d13f572f19639564c8a432d0d20f.png

Next Level Message - There is an option to show the name of the next map upon victory. This is very useful for campaigns with branching paths, because map transitions are not possible in Reforged, so the player needs to start the next map manually. The text inside the message is localized to the language of the player.

224109-9408daa15a66036afbe38db24fdf10ff.png

Legacy Assets - There is an option to add Legacy Assets (Reign of Chaos icons and models that were removed in Reforged). It also adds HD versions of these icons and models.

223852-f44a049a56145f1d66e12dae1bb81754.png

wc3scrnshot_111122_182523_000-png.413606

Upkeep Removal - There is an option to remove Upkeep from all extracted maps. This option can lead to unintended results and is not recommended (disabled by default), but it is a possibility for players that want a more casual experience.

223849-df9291de6e34a6cbabd1ee4ec39b8f36.png

Planned Features

Archon Mode - If Xetanth87 gets enough support on Patreon, he will start working on adding an Archon/Two-headed Ogre mode option to his Campaign Splitter, that adds 2+ player co-op with full shared unit control to each of the extracted campaign maps. This will enable custom campaigns to be played in co-op.

230509-e3e99d402e73d48d2ed3a923acb67a8b.jpg

More info & Downloads

If you want to learn more, or to download the tool, check Xetanth87's Campaign Splitter's Page.

Need help?

If you have any questions about this tool, you can ask them on the Discord Server, in the "🔪general-splitter" channel.

Last edited:
Interesting tool and very useful! Too bad that the automatic map change does not work. All custom campaigns could use this now and upload folders with the maps.
Uploading separated maps increases upload time, download time and storage space needed by Hive. Letting players split them on their own computers means people can download the same file and choose for themselves if they want to split it or not. Campaign creators can also split their campaign if they want to create multiplayer versions of their maps, though in the future, I want to automate this, so it can be used to create coop versions of any campaign the user wants. Having direct control of the MPQs, means I can edit the number of players, change player properties and triggers to make this possible

Level 9
World Editor still has option to make custom campaigns, therefore also extract maps from them. Then they can be put into custom single player just like in attached video. I'm doing this from... the very beginning? So again: what do I need this tool for? Or am I missing something? No offense. Just asking.

World Editor still has option to make custom campaigns, therefore also extract maps from them. Then they can be put into custom single player just like in attached video. I'm doing this from... the very beginning? So again: what do I need this tool for? Or am I missing something? No offense. Just asking.
Custom campaigns have data and imports that are shared to each map. If you extract the maps from a custom campaign, data and imports added in the Campaign Editor will not show up. This tool extracts the maps and copies all the data, string and imports to all maps. Campaign and map strings have overlapping ids so the tool also has to offset the campaign strings by thr number of map strings and change tooltip values from the campaign to match these values

Level 11
Custom campaigns have data and imports that are shared to each map. If you extract the maps from a custom campaign, data and imports added in the Campaign Editor will not show up. This tool extracts the maps and copies all the data, string and imports to all maps. Campaign and map strings have overlapping ids so the tool also has to offset the campaign strings by thr number of map strings and change tooltip values from the campaign to match these values
So in this case it will load all maps in sequence without losing data or items off the previous map like it always do?

So in this case it will load all maps in sequence without losing data or items off the previous map like it always do?
You play the maps manually, similar to Re-Reforged. And just like in Re-Reforged, items, heroes and other choices that the campaign author made to be saved between maps, will be saved. Since the game doesn't open the next map automatically, I have made it, so the game will tell you what the next map is after you get the victory screen, so you know exactly what you will need to play next!

PS: The data I was referring to in my previous post was referring to custom units and other things defined in the campaign editor. But the game cache data (the one you are talking about, that is saved and loaded between chapters) works just like if you played the original custom campaign with no issues.

Level 9
Custom campaigns have data and imports that are shared to each map. If you extract the maps from a custom campaign, data and imports added in the Campaign Editor will not show up. This tool extracts the maps and copies all the data, string and imports to all maps. Campaign and map strings have overlapping ids so the tool also has to offset the campaign strings by the number of map strings and change tooltip values from the campaign to match these values
I see. Honestly I didn't read deeply first post at first, only after your response. My bad. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.