• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project of the Month #1: July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I dislike the idea of people with threads in the map development section have the ability to gain 30 rep.

I think it would be better if the interview thing be a stand alone kind of thing. Once a month, have an interview with any mapmaker.

This makes no sense. How can you vote for a map that's not even finished and doesn't have a playable version... That's retarded... Both Requiem and Dualism could be shit, how would we know we've only seen screenshots.

I was this close to delete your message, because it's rude and non-contributing, but I will instead reply with cool head (if I was a user, I'd report it).

This event's goal is to bolster the attention to the winning map and to give motivation to its author and his team. Additionally, it will be getting a free ad in the News Section.

This is mostly a community's event, it doesn't directly aim to offer the winner an award.

If you don't get the goal behind it, then you shouldn't be interested in this thread anyway.

Level 22
I was this close to delete your message, because it's rude and non-contributing, but I will instead reply with cool head (if I was a user, I'd report it).

If you don't get the goal behind it, then you shouldn't be interested in this thread anyway.

It's not rude lol, a shame you read it that way.

The other members agree with me, it can't be the best map of July if it isn't released.

I think the thread name should be changed to 'Best Project of July' to imply they are still works in progress, even if they have playable versions released, like my map for example.

But the premise is good, more publicity for the winning map, not like they will need it but, good premise.

It's not rude lol, a shame you read it that way.

The other members agree with me, it can't be the best map of July if it isn't released.

I think the thread name should be changed to 'Best Project of July' to imply they are still works in progress, even if they have playable versions released, like my map for example.

But the premise is good, more publicity for the winning map, not like they will need it but, good premise.

Yes, I am sure the word "retarded" can easily be misinterpreted.
The other members, who? marko9 that posted under you?

As for the "Best project of July", I wish you instantly brought that up, because that's contributing indeed. I also thought of that, but I feared that people would fatally relate it to Hosted Project of the Year. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to mention them.

Level 22
Yes, I am sure the word "retarded" can easily be misinterpreted.
The other members, who? marko9 that posted under you?

As for the "Best project of July", I wish you instantly brought that up, because that's contributing indeed. I also thought of that, but I feared that people would fatally relate it to Hosted Project of the Year. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to mention them.

I throw around expletives willy nilly, it's just my way.

Lourax, Marko9, and I'm sure countless others... It's silly the way the title implies the map is great, because it's without merit, since we've never played half of them.

I think best project of july would work... It's hard to mistake that for something else.

Last edited:

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@RiotZ
RiotZ said:
more publicity for the winning map, not like they will need it but, good premise.

I disagree. Being the creator of Dualism I am in need of daily motivation to push myself to continue working on my map. There are some days where I really can't push myself to work the 3 hours that I promise myself to work every day due to lack of the feeling that what I am working so hard on really matters.

Then the next day I can wake up to having 1 or at most 3 new comments on my development thread. Those days my concentration level is at it's highest and I am able to put out high quality work for the time intended.

Did you know that almost 92% of ALL projects in the Map Development section of our wonderful Hive is being abandoned?

The main reason behind this I think is that the project leaders and team members are not getting enough attention and positive comments.

I say more attention to the map makers of the Development Section. When a map is released into the Map Section without first having a thread in the Development Section it's almost always a 1 week project with just average gameplay while the real beauties like some of the projects mentioned in this very thread are getting close to no attention at all due to being rather "hidden".

Level 22
@RiotZ

I disagree. Being the creator of Dualism I am in need of daily motivation to push myself to continue working on my map. There are some days where I really can't push myself to work the 3 hours that I promise myself to work every day due to lack of the feeling that what I am working so hard on really matters.

Then the next day I can wake up to having 1 or at most 3 new comments on my development thread. Those days my concentration level is at it's highest and I am able to put out high quality work for the time intended.

Did you know that almost 92% of ALL projects in the Map Development section of our wonderful Hive is being abandoned?

The main reason behind this I think is that the project leaders and team members are not getting enough attention and positive comments.

I say more attention to the map makers of the Development Section. When a map is released into the Map Section without first having a thread in the Development Section it's almost always a 1 week project with just average gameplay while the real beauties like some of the projects mentioned in this very thread are getting close to no attention at all due to being rather "hidden".

That's simply the effect of a dying breed. WC3 will always (for the next 8 years maybe) have a community and modding interest, but it is already beginning to decay, if you're doing what you do for personal attention, then in doing it you are just satisfying your ego.

I know no one will ever play my map, but I continue to work on it anyway, why? I don't know, the feeling of accomplishment I suppose.

Level 11
@RiotZ

not getting enough attention and positive comments +1

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

@RiotZ

You are right, most people do lose motivation for making a map because they think nobody shows interest in it.

Level 28
I somewhat agree to Sverk, yup comments are always appreciated on a map project, but not comments like "Oh god this is awesome subscribe!" but comments like this "Hey man good project I suggest that you improve or add bla bla bla"

But sometimes we know we act like this
58.gif
or like this
114.gif
when someone commented on your project but say s**tty things.

Level 19
About the name of the thread (I couldn't help it, had to enter the conversation), I think it should be called "Map Projects of the Month". Without the "map" in it, it kinda implies that the thread is for all of Hive's projects, not only map projects :b

Level 11
About the name of the thread (I couldn't help it, had to enter the conversation), I think it should be called "Map Projects of the Month". Without the "map" in it, it kinda implies that the thread is for all of Hive's projects, not only map projects :b

That will lead us deeper into this conversations that we dont even need, so I think Project of the Month will work fine simply becuse In Hive we mostly refer to a map as a project rather than to a model or texture right.

For a model you would simply say model and so on... the problem here is that most of the map's that are in Progress and still just ''Projects'' and not actual maps so you refer them as projects and not as a map.

So I would say ''Projects of the Month''. Also Pharaoh_ about the pool will there be all the ''alive'' projects that are curently on Hive or just the ones mentioned here becuse I have at least 3 more to report for the pool?

Thanks, peace out.

Level 17
Just thought I'd pop in.

'Project of the Month' establishes what this is. Why change it? I support the idea and hope that this doesn't turn into just a +rep spree for the more established projects. I'd like to see some of the projects which are less well-known but have great ideas be put into the limelight to garner some attention.

I also disagree with the +repping. Some of these well-known projects already rake up +rep. An opportunity in the spotlight is exactly the type of marketing and motivation that a project team needs to keep going. I'd also like to see an experienced modder conduct the interviews and ask some of the more important questions on design and the processes behind it. Yeah, a lot of us are just amateur modders, but we've built enough experience to share with new and upcoming mapmakers and modders who could benefit from our knowledge.

Level 11
Just noticed this and think it's very interesting. When will the polls pop up?

Also, I'd like to nominate Shadows of the Past and Requiem

Level 4
Status
Not open for further replies.