• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Programmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Just curious about you guys...who of you have actual jobs doing programming?

Also, would it be realistic do you think to get a job to do programming eventually from learning about programming by doing it as a hobby as like we see being done here with the JASS programming language?

Level 4
Well obviously it's possible but only up to a certain extent. You could start learning all sorts of different programming languages and in your own findings join a game modding team (most probable and possible). The purpose of this would be to advance further, should it be web-programming, game-engine-programming or anything else. After this you could try forming or joining a small game-making company based of people who came from the mod scene. Not to mention various web-design groups.
Now if you're looking to join some web-design group, you might come in some trouble. While some of them easily accept your personal portfolio work, dismissing any kind of university degree you may or may not have, others are not so keen on it. Also you'd have to have knowledge of not 2 or 4 programming languages, but 7 or even more, especially if you're touching web design and programming sector. While small outside-of-corporate-group work may come in handy in earning money, you might come in trouble in finding and fiddling with customers.
If you have a possibility to join a university or any other high-level teaching institution, it’s advisable to do so (from my own part).
That's all.

Level 15
I, for one, am a programmer by profession.

As for learning...JASS is a start, but far from what you would actually be using in most professions. You would do best to study more of the universal languages like C/C++, Java, or C#. Also, if you can take some introductory programming concept classes at school, that will help quite a bit.

Level 21
There's a difference between learning a language and mastering it. To learn jass, a month without programming experience. To master jass, I'd say about half a year. To master c++, it's several years, if not a lifetime.

And java is essentially c++ with a garbage collector and built-in multithreading, isn't it?

And java is essentially c++ with a garbage collector and built-in multithreading, isn't it?

And no structs or typedefs or any of that weird stuff. Everything's an object.

Oh, and no operator overloading, which kinda sucks.

Personally I prefer java although I'm learning C++ now. As far as I know those are the two most used languages for most programming. If you can learn one of those then you've got a very good start, as many languages are C-based.

Level 11
Actually, other programming languages (depending on the language) are potentially easier to learn that JASS simply because there are better tutorials available for them. Many of the common programming languages are very similar so by learning one, you will know the majority of the features in many others. Personally, I'd recommend giving Ruby a try. You might even find it easier to learn than JASS due to the tutorials available for it. Here are some tutorials you might want to try:

Level 24
actually, other programming languages (depending on the language) are potentially easier to learn that jass simply because there are better tutorials available for them. Many of the common programming languages are very similar so by learning one, you will know the majority of the features in many others. Personally, i'd recommend giving ruby a try. You might even find it easier to learn than jass due to the tutorials available for it. Here are some tutorials you might want to try:

bad wyrm. Bad.

Level 19
To be honest C-based scripting languages have always seemed easy and understandable and it is but remembering everything and mastering it is NOT something that will happen over night. Takes a lifetime as someone has already said. With C++ you can virtually do anything, the entire world is in your grasp.

I'm pretty lazy and haven't even tried to learn more than how to operate Console forms in C++.

Level 17
Actually, other programming languages (depending on the language) are potentially easier to learn that JASS simply because there are better tutorials available for them. Many of the common programming languages are very similar so by learning one, you will know the majority of the features in many others. Personally, I'd recommend giving Ruby a try. You might even find it easier to learn than JASS due to the tutorials available for it. Here are some tutorials you might want to try:
Ruby actually looks pretty cool, I might give a try.

Stick to C languages if your hoping to program professionally, or at least get hired by some company.

I agree with this, but a language like ruby is more of a fun language than C-based ones are. So C-based for important projects, ruby/etc for fun little things. :>

I agree with this, but a language like ruby is more of a fun language than C-based ones are. So C-based for important projects, ruby/etc for fun little things. :>

Yep, I rarely code in C, well C#, but thats about it.

Ever since I got delphi, i always use it to make interfaces, since it requires no .NET Framework.

Level 15
First, I feel obliged to say. Python is teh sex. Go learn it. You too wyrm.

But really. C++ is just that awesome.

Meh, Python is great, but i wouldn't call it teh sex. :p

I'm kind of a programmer by profession, i do a lot of freelance work for people.

I usually use C++, as it is the most prevalent language in the world of graphics programming.

I use Python for doing smaller things.

Status
Not open for further replies.