• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Writing in C

Status
Not open for further replies.
After learning some of the magic of JASS I want to take my programming to a new level (maybe enable a future as a real programmer). +REP (big time!) to someone who can link me to a very simple, free program that converts C programming language into an executable format. I just want to try out very simple commands such as "hello world" or arithmatic, for now.

Please! =D

Level 23
I would recommend Visual Studio if anything when it comes to C/C++
To be honest, together with Visual Assist, it is more reliable and shows exact problems immediately without a hazzle.

The con about Visual Studio is that it takes alot of space on your computer. And I really mean alot, compared to other C/C++ tools.

Some other choices anyway:
Codeblocks
Eclipse
Netbeans

The latter one, netbeans is a bitch to setup with C/C++, but as I've done it, a recommended compiler and builder is Cygwn. When it comes to Codeblocks and Eclipse I have no personal expierience, just that a friend of mine is working with Codeblocks and tells me constanttly that it is horrible. Eclipse was something I tried a couple of months ago, and I guess I didnt stet it up correctly (my guesses is that it needs something similar to netbeans build and make files/compiler/stuff)

I would still chose Visual Studio.

Link to Visual Studio 2010 RC
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9b-4964-4906-94c6-60ad8a429690&displaylang=en
Link to Visual Assist (press the Get the beta now for:)
http://www.wholetomato.com/

Level 23
Well, yes... You cant expect all tools to be crossplatform. Then again, you can still work with crossplatform features such as SDL and OpenGL later on.

Okay so then, I would recommend Visual Studio if you run a windows computer. I do not know about Mac or Linux because I dont have one... It's pretty obvious that I only can recommend what I know:p?

Well, yes... You cant expect all tools to be crossplatform. Then again, you can still work with crossplatform features such as SDL and OpenGL later on.

Okay so then, I would recommend Visual Studio if you run a windows computer. I do not know about Mac or Linux because I dont have one... It's pretty obvious that I only can recommend what I know:p?

Code::Blocks is best for Linux, gedit is second.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

@up, gedit is an advanced notepad, not a compiler.

On a Windows system, I'd suggest you use Cygwin, as it is easily set up (pretty much works out of the box, as they say) - just combine it with for example Notepad++.

On Linux, and distros, the GNU C Compiler should already be ready to use; you compile with the command gcc or cc, depending a bit on the setup.

As for IDEs, if you're running Windows, it's a bitch no matter how you throw it, but I think Visual Studio is the easiest to set up. On Linux, Eclipse works pretty neatly, but you might get some trouble with the mouse (at least my fellow students and I do), meaning you'll have to use TAB a lot, and hit buttons with ENTER/RETURN. Much fun. No experience with NetBeans.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Programmers use java nowdays for most normal tasks and programs. It is easier to program than C/C++ and the automatic garbage collector keeps you safe from the leaks which plague C/C++. It also has better debugging support as it runs in an environment which handles the code unlike C/C++ where you have to manually program that in or use external debugger tools to latch onto the program.

If you are after game development or programming micro controlers, you will have to learn C/C++, keep in mind its dreadfully painful to program with and is the reason why games like WC3 are plagued with leaks, errors and bugs.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

What is most comfortable to code with depends on what one learns first, I suppose. I learned Java first, and in comparison to that, C seems difficult (I'm learning both), because you have to take care of all the leaks and access the system resources much more directly. On the other hand, C is much more concise and executes faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.