• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Problems with the trigger compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi there,

So, i encountered an interesting error when working on a project of mine.

So, i revised a system of mine to reduce the amount of object editor data on my map. Granted, i got a bunch of triggers in GUI that are in dire need of merging. So i know that i got a big amount of triggers to clean up.

Now, in the progress of doing it and adding some of the functions of 1.29, on saving i encountered the error in the screenshot. Yes, in a section that feeds variable tables with data, nothing more.

For me personally, it looks like i hit some border of the editor. may it be amount of lines (#46394 in the screenshot. yes, i need to clean up the code and it will require me to move that project to jass, which should be done long ago...). Because i got synthax errors in simple definitions, which lead me to believe that the editor just stopped at a certain point.

Nowe, i got it sorted out by removing some variable definitons that got obsolete due to the changes i made to my map. But i needed also to remove 3-4 lines at a completely different position which worked with icon and tooltip changes. So these new functions could also be the culprit. Even more so since i can without problems copy some of these data defining variables, which normally bloat the amount of lines. Because of this, i don't think that was due to the amount of lines or triggers in the editor. Heck, i already had removed bunch of triggers before by replacing them with better systems before 1.29

So, what i wanted to ask is if someone got an idea how this compiler error can be casued, since i want to dodge problems like that as best as possible.

On the other hand, that troubleshooting could be problematic since im working on 1.29, since i believe that 1.32 will be more stable and thus skip 1.31

Edit: Well, looks like its a memory issue on my part. Just got a crash due to that while deleting a bunch of abilities.

Edit 2: Now, i can even reproduce that crash. Deleting around 9 abilities with 3 stages each cause quite regulary a crash of the editor. but by saving inbetween i can work my way down in the OE amount.

Edit 3: now that i cut down around 60 abilities, i can work without any problems anymore. looks like it was a memory issue with too much OE data and bad written triggers.

Attachments

• Unknown crash.png
    Unknown crash.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Level 39
In the future you should show the highlighted problem line in the bottom half of the error window and scroll up a little further so the few lines preceding it are also visible. Right now none of the things we can see are line 43690. From your edits it sounds like it was an OE data problem, but my intuition was an actual bad symbol somewhere the editor didn't know how to process, or something like '' instead of " for a string, etc.

Level 10
Thanks for the tips on there. I will take a look at that, since i had the same error on another occasion of tooltip changing functions, which also used the same "\" for the tooltip. I will change that up and keep that issue in mind when i work with these kind of functions, thanks you.

It could be that it stopped the string at a point, even more since i had the editor on german before and switched to the english version some months ago. This could also shot why that error didn't happened before. I keep an eye on it and look what needs to be changed up.

Edit: While working with these functions, it looks like my editor got problems with the lenght of the strings. I get errors and crashes of the editor when the lenght of the strings (due to color coding) hits a certain lenght.

Edit 2: Yes, i see in an rather old thread that the maximum sting lenght in GUI is 255 (maximum string length? - Wc3C.net), so i believe i hit that limit with some of the strings entered in the system unfortunaly.

Edit 3: From the looks of it, some of my crashes were OE related. I found this old thred (World Editor Error with Deleting Units. - Wc3C.net) Which exactly has the same errors i had when deleting custom abilities. This seems to be memory related with too many custom data. Good that i currently delete custom objects by making many of them obsolete with new systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.