• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

problem with USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
so i just bought a new USB from a store, im not sure if its working well.
i tried to put my map, warcraft, newgen, pictures and documents. when i opened the usb from another computer.. the world editor and newgen doesnt work (a command prompt sort of program opens). when i tried to open warcraft.. a blank screen opens. then i tried again to another computer which already has a warcraft world editor.. then.. the map woudnt open, error : main map could not be opened. so i tried to open the pictures, but there was no problem.

so is there a problem with the USB? or warcraft files cannot be transported using USB?

and also.. im having a little problem deciding if this is the right place to post this thread, so if im wrong.. kindly move this please.

Level 7
Only thing I can think of is that the JNGP runs on a registry file that's link'd with the editor. An usb does not have registry files really so I'm not sure if it will do justice.

If you transfered to the usb then to the new computer the whole files not just plugging it in theres not much reason that it should not work. Running the world editor would most likely generate the registry keys.

Level 9
the brand is Transcend
well yea, i transferred the whole folder, still not working. anyways, any possible reason why the map file has been damaged?

Level 22
Transcend how much GBs 16GB? With this brand for some reason I couldnt make a Windows 7 installation on it, which worked fine with my 3GB flash. The 16GB one was fine.. so I dont think all Transcend sticks are bad.

I've a completely defective USB stick (not transcend) that is from the early ones and although 8GB basically corrupts all files if you put more than 512MB on it so it was technically like 512MB execept it corrupted all files even the ones you added before 512 MB. Changing the file system from FAT32 to FAT to NTFS also didn't solve it so you may be having a defective USB stick.

Level 9
Transcend how much GBs 16GB? With this brand for some reason I couldnt make a Windows 7 installation on it, which worked fine with my 3GB flash. The 16GB one was fine.. so I dont think all Transcend sticks are bad.

I've a completely defective USB stick (not transcend) that is from the early ones and although 8GB basically corrupts all files if you put more than 512MB on it so it was technically like 512MB execept it corrupted all files even the ones you added before 512 MB. Changing the file system from FAT32 to FAT to NTFS also didn't solve it so you may be having a defective USB stick.

how about a 8GB transcend?

"although 8GB basically corrupts...." do you meant all USB's in general? or just the type of brand your referring to?

Level 22
The one that corrupts files is not Transcend, it is unknown brand and I have it since 2005 or so. Transcend are fine but sometimes all usbs have errors, usually when viruses or corrupted files. The brand doesnt matter, I just dont know, sometimes things go wrong with too high capacity sticks.

Also the simplest you can do is format the stick from time to time, it ensures that things will work at least to some point. Often the usbs ask for format or fixing errors. Formats can fix things but always backup maps and files from it, you can't rely on USBs much, as something may always happen.

Often some files are turned into CHK files when corrupted, they can be seen if you type CHK in the search, if you know what kind of formats the CHK files are supposed to be, you can rename the CHK to their actual formats and open them in case you ever come across such files.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You will need to buy a storage stick. USB ports by themselves are completly usless at storing files.

USB is a standard. USB storage sticks are flash storage units that communicate via the USB standard. There are thousands of USB standard devices ranging from phones to microscopes so please mention the device you are refering to and not the standard.

Storage sticks are prety reliable nowdays. Just follow the below steps.

To store files to a USB storage device...
1. Make sure the device is plugged in and formated in an appropiate way (so the receiving device can use it).
2. Copy the desired folder structure and files into the partition representing the USB storage device.
3. Wait for copying process to finish.
4. Eject the storage device.*
5. Unplug the USB storage device.

* It is very important you tell your opperating system to first eject a USB storage device before you unplug it. Just because copying appears to have concluded does not nescescarilly mean the data is actually written yet. Data may still be present in buffers that have yet to be flushed to storage. Ejecting forces all buffers to be flushed to storage and will only report the device as "Safe to Remove" once the opperation complets. Unpluging the USB storage device before ejecting it runs the risk of data curroption and event loss. It is not uncommon for a USB storage device to require reformating if you unplug at the wrong time.

To read files from a USB storage device...
1. Plug in a formated USB storage device.
2. Browse the file structure contained in the partition the USB storage device represents.
3. Find the files you need.
4. Use the files you need*. For efficiency it is recommended to copy regually changed files to local storage (USB is slow).

* Be aware that the the storage partition is identified as foreign by modern opperating systems. It is possible it will execute programs located on it at a restricted security permission which may be inaduquit to allow the program to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.