• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer Thinks it Needs to Format USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So I try plugging a USB into my computer. A new USB normally works once, then the second time or third it doesn't. My computer can't read the USB and believes it needs to format the USB. Trouble is, every other computer can read the USB fine. It's not the USB. It's my computer...

The USB has the default format from the shop (FAT32). I haven't formatted the USB like it says because I don't think the USB is the problem and I don't want to erase my brother's data off his USB.

Any ideas on a fix? Under device manager, it seems there's heaps of drivers involved with a USB, so I'm not sure which one to uninstall/reinstall. Is the driver even the problem?

This is the only related information I could find. His problem seems to be similar to mine. Conveniently, there is no answer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278518-32-windows-format-flash-drive#.

Edit: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
Level 16
Have you tried different ports?

Wow, I did this and it started to work, so I'm an idiot for not trying it earlier. But now it works on both USB's. I've tried a couple of USB and don't safety remove and I can't replicate the problem I was having before. It seems like it just fixed itself randomly.

I'm sorry it makes no sense, but I'll post later if the problem returns. Sorry to bother you.

Wow, I did this and it started to work, so I'm an idiot for not trying it earlier. But now it works on both USB's. I've tried a couple of USB and don't safety remove and I can't replicate the problem I was having before. It seems like it just fixed itself randomly.

I'm sorry it makes no sense, but I'll post later if the problem returns. Sorry to bother you.

No problem, glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.