• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Problem with unit response for players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello,

I made a pretty complex Map. I have been sitting for years on it and recently a very nasty Bug appeard, which makes the entire map unplayable with more than 1 Player: When I play it with a friend, usually only one of us can move his/her unit or only one Player at once.

Like Player 1 has a unit. Player 2 has a unit.
Only Player 1 OR Player 2 can move his/her own unit at once. The other Player can not move the Unit at all, although it belongs to him/her. It simply isnt responsive.
When sharing units its the same thing. And it even gets weirder: Sometimes the unit NOT selected by the Player is moving e.g. Player 1 is moving his/her Unit, but Player 2's unit is moving.

It seems sometimes the units are not responsive at all but I have not got that much units on the map overall that should cause this kind of problem.

Its very depressing for me because this just screws up my entire Map :(

Can someone help me?

Level 13
You'll have to give us more to work with, such as triggers you think are causing the problems, or the map itself.

Based on your description, it will be tough to give any useful feedback.

Level 1
First, Thank you for showing interest in helping me :)

Well I am not sure at all which trigger might be responsible for this Problem, I tryed to disenable those with moving commands in them but it didnt make any change yet.

We found a little trick to allow a Player moving the own unit: Selecting another unit than selecting the own unit again and it will follow commands, but this will force the other player to do the same so its not a solution at all.

Well I havent uploaded my Map yet as it isnt finished at all and has some bugs into it. Also it has very much and very... complicated triggers. And as I said, the Bug is only present when more than one Player is playing so someone who is so kind to want to look into would have to do it in multiplayer.

I am not sure, if I am allowed to upload an unfinished Map here in the Hiveworkshop. Its not Alpha, but still under construction.

Level 1
Hello,

Looks like I found the triggers responsible for that.

Do you have an enormous number of triggers running with waits? Something similar happened in a map of mine with that, and I fixed it by moving everything to use timers instead.

• Some of my triggers use "every 0,X Seconds", followed by a "Set UnitGroup" and several actions to picked units. I have some with waiting across my triggers I guess, but deleting triggers and checking showed, that it is somehow connectec to the triggers i mentioned.

Example for a trigger that I deleted for testing and then had no/less Problems with unit responsibility:

Note: Unfornately it didnt took text formation, I am trying to make it bette --> Uploaded txt with 3 triggers, which when deleted "solved" the Problem".
Since I have similiar Triggers running (and deleted them before deleting those) it could be that they are causing this Problem too.

I have a few more triggers like that running, anyone knows why it interferes with Unit response/ how I could make the trigger work better?

Attachments

• Triggers causing Problems.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Level 11
It's almost certainly the grow eat loop one. Instead of generating the unit group every singe time the trigger is run, I'd suggest updating a global unit group every time the appropriate unit types enter/leave the map. That should cut down quite a bit on how much work the trigger has to do.

Level 1
Thank you very much for your help!

I will try your suggestion, but I might need some time.^^

But wouldnt it made the unit Group very big at some point as no unit would be removed from it? Will it cause problems when a group is too full?

Level 11
Well you'd only want to add your dragon units to it. Also you will want to remove them from the group when they leave the map (via dying, or unit - remove unit from game triggers).

I don't know of any upper limit to unit group size, but if you were to hit any hypothetical maximum you certainly have too many units on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.