• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Private servers, raepd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
If you like WoW, can't afford retail, or just don't want to pay, you're most likely playing on a private server.

Well, Blizzard has just metaphorically rammed an unpleasantly shaped object into a region where it doesn't fit of every private server out there.

This is news, so I'll break it down as simple as possible, Toxic WoW, Ani-WoW Chaos Crusade, and about 65% (last time I checked, more were brought down in the past couple of hours, I guess) of other private servers out there have received an e-mail from Blizzard (it's been verified) to take their server down, or they will be sued for breaking the Terms of Agreement (we all know it's illegal).

Scapegaming is awaiting shutdown as I'm typing this.

Anyway, seems as if Blizz plans to shut the private servers off, once and for all.

So bye-bye WoW. I'm not ranting on Blizzard, since they have the full right to do this. I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier.

Yes, this is true. But they have only hit the top ones pretty much. I mean, there are still good servers out there. Even though they haven't been voted for on the top private server sites, there are still some good servers.

Just wait a while, I think most servers are going down to "hide" and elude this event. I think they are temporarily shutting everything down, and making a few back-ups.

I've heard that all these servers are down:
  • chaoscrusade
  • toxic-wow
  • Ani-wow
  • wowfusion
  • wowgasm
  • wowscape

But I haven't played on any of those servers. =P I think it is fine to list them because they are most likely going down anyway.

Yeah, I never thought Blizz would ever make an act against private servers, but I guess they just did. xP

Level 34
I'd do it if I were them. It's like stealing resources on this site. But it's stealing resources that took decades to make (or however long it took).

Level 13
I wonder why they decided to take down the private servers now, when they have tolerated them for years. Take my word, they are planning something.

Level 34
So this means that you need an account (that requires payments) to play any Blizzard game online? Like steam, only more greedy?

Level 4
Blizzard isnt very smart... Shutting private servers down will only make the private server players (Over a million) become pissed at blizzard and will not buy ANY of their future games. Once a person goes to a private server thats it, they will never pay for WoW again. Even if Blizzard did shut down all of the servers. I really dont see the point of private servers, you get everything with out trying.

Level 34
That is indeed the deal, but Valve have always been less greedy than Blizz.

As well as a superior company overall.
My beloved company, what have you become? Has EA bought you out in secret?

Blizzard isnt very smart... Shutting private servers down will only make the private server players (Over a million) become pissed at blizzard and will not buy ANY of their future games. Once a person goes to a private server thats it, they will never pay for WoW again. Even if Blizzard did shut down all of the servers. I really dont see the point of private servers, you get everything with out trying.
You're kidding right? You know when D3 hits the shelf all those players will rush to the store. They can't resist it.

As well, it is smart since they've lost a lot of players to private servers. Although arguably those people would have quit anyways.

Level 25
But to get access to the other games, you need to pay a WoW fee?

I don't know if its been said yet, but that'd be stupid if Blizzard made that like that. It'd be smarter if they made a version that could play the other two games but not WoW that you didn't have to pay monthly, because, well, that's smart

Its to protect their company rights. Seeing as the private server players don't play their servers anyway, why should they give a damn about them anyway? Its their fault for playing an illegal thing and getting called on it

Level 6
Check [THREAD=109586]this[/THREAD] thread. They counted the beans. :(

Don't be pessimistic people, like Mecheon said in the other topic, it doesn't say anything about having to pay for SC2 or D3 on it's own.

They said in an interview(click) that SC2 and D3 will still be free but there will be pay type features(like, making removing the size limit of maps when hosting?).

I can imagine it'd be like this, each account will have a "flag" or "check" or "status" which says whether it's "WoW" enabled or not.

If it's yes, then the player could play WoW.

If not, the player can play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 free.

Also, it's basically the same thing as they've been doing with Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 2, and Warcraft 3(I think) accounts, the exact same account can be used for any of the games.

They're just adding WoW to the list.

Having worked in the private server community for years, its pitiful they'd stoop so low. They have every right to do it, trust me, but its more annoying that they seek such actions against us when the majority of us are no more different than a hive workshop author, we're just artists.

I first entered the private server scene in order to recreate things I loved about Warcraft 3 in WoW, I brought lore and history to many through dozens of items which hit tens of thousands of downloads through WoW-V. But over time its become harder and harder for us to update our site, and our tools are becoming outdated because of the annoying wrenches Blizzard throws in our gears every damn patch.

The taking down of private servers will only hurt Blizzard in the end, I for one kept up a retail account the entire time I was working on WoW-V (and I still do), and I know of many people who do as well, because Private Servers aren't Retail and never will be, they are like a demo basically or a modded version that allows people to do things they never could on retail because of restrictions (Guilds, numbers, levels).

I won't defend what we were doing as being "right", but it is really mean for them to hurt the only modding community WoW has. The people making money off of Private Servers deserved to be shut down, but the one's that were just making them to be modding, its a completely different story.

What if Blizzard shut down Hive for hosting Warcraft 3 Textures that had been geomerged or rewrapped around new models? Its the same concept, a good 50% of most of the Emulator cores out there were hand-crafted by the various staffs, the only thing that was Blizzard that was used was the models, spells, and client-side things.

Its a sad day honestly, I'll miss making custom lore-related items, and playing around with friends on them when not raiding on retail.

~Shadowclaimer
Admin of WoW-V

Level 1

Yeah right, Private servers are the worst... they bore me after like 10 hours.. at least real WoW can keep me interested for a couple more hours than that..

Level 4
Having worked in the private server community for years, its pitiful they'd stoop so low. They have every right to do it, trust me, but its more annoying that they seek such actions against us when the majority of us are no more different than a hive workshop author, we're just artists.

I first entered the private server scene in order to recreate things I loved about Warcraft 3 in WoW, I brought lore and history to many through dozens of items which hit tens of thousands of downloads through WoW-V. But over time its become harder and harder for us to update our site, and our tools are becoming outdated because of the annoying wrenches Blizzard throws in our gears every damn patch.

The taking down of private servers will only hurt Blizzard in the end, I for one kept up a retail account the entire time I was working on WoW-V (and I still do), and I know of many people who do as well, because Private Servers aren't Retail and never will be, they are like a demo basically or a modded version that allows people to do things they never could on retail because of restrictions (Guilds, numbers, levels).

I won't defend what we were doing as being "right", but it is really mean for them to hurt the only modding community WoW has. The people making money off of Private Servers deserved to be shut down, but the one's that were just making them to be modding, its a completely different story.

What if Blizzard shut down Hive for hosting Warcraft 3 Textures that had been geomerged or rewrapped around new models? Its the same concept, a good 50% of most of the Emulator cores out there were hand-crafted by the various staffs, the only thing that was Blizzard that was used was the models, spells, and client-side things.

Its a sad day honestly, I'll miss making custom lore-related items, and playing around with friends on them when not raiding on retail.

~Shadowclaimer
Admin of WoW-V

LOL. How will it hurt them? "Most" of the people on private servers don't pay and never will. The people who do...well, Blizzard won't really care. They make enough money as it is and don't care about you whiney private server people. (Not all of you, but I've seen too many these past days.) It's a sad for you because you wasted time doing stuff that was illegal. Blizzard has every damn right to shut down private servers and I'm glad they did. And if the Hive was shut down due to those reasons, so what? Do you know how many people play Warcraft 3 and DON'T visit the Hive or have an account...or really don't care about it. I can keep repeating this over and over, but you won't get the point. Blizzard Doesn't Care what people on Private Servers have to whine about.

I don't know about anyone else, but reading their Terms Of Use might prove that Private Server owns have no right period to host WoW. So what if blizzard employee's visit a private server site or whatever? It's THEIR game and THEY have every right to punish you. There's no way you can prove that you had some what of a right to host the game.

Yes that's too much words but It's annoying see those kind of posts. Also, the Account Merge thing would be pretty awesome. I, for one, am surely buying Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

Level 12
Bleh. A certain server, which I will not name gets more than 10.000$ monthly from donations and it's still up and running. Most of the money goes straight to the administrators pocket too.

Level 18

~Shadowclaimer
Admin of WoW-V

S-s-hadowclaimer!? O.O :eek:

S-s-hadowclaimer!? O.O :eek:

Aye, the one and only. Why what name do I know you by ;)

And as to those bashing on the community, you gotta remember, not ALL OF US were making money on it, on the contrary a large amount of us lose money in renting out servers or even our own computers to Mod WoW. They have the right to do it, as I said, but a lot of us weren't intending any harm other than to bring to life the World that WoW destroyed. (Warcraft 3 is where Lore ended imo, after that it all went downhill and still continues to spiral)

@Lioness, we are not discussing anything that could cause legal problems, no one is advertising nor making guides, we're discussing the event of them shutting it down and how it makes us feel. My apologies if I'm stepping out of place, but its just a discussion of the events =/ I'll edit out any reference to the website I use in my original post if it violates rules and might get this locked <.< I enjoy this conversation.

@Smartman, my post was a little emotion-filled so a few things I said weren't meant, it won't hurt them in the end, no, but it does hurt people who just want to mod the game they love, as well as the idiots making money off of it.

In general, its another case of "the loudest not representing the majority", a generally large portion of the Private Server community are NOT out to make money off the thing, coincidentally the ones doing the most illegal action are the ones who are, yet we will all be destroyed for it in the end.

Generally speaking, modifying WoW is not an illegal action, publicly distributing the resources and generating an income off of it is. The creation of items/mobs is raw sql coding, so therefor we are distributing our home made code to create the creatures/items, plugging them into the actual game gives them the model/icons determined by the numbers in the code, thus we never distribute anything belonging to Blizzard (outside of naming of some items or references in quotes).

Also, to clear up something, I do NOT run a public private server, I create Items/Mobs and scripts for them that are lorebased and follow the story more adequately then Blizzard managed to do with WoW.

Those of you with a bias against Private Servers because of the Legality of them, need to look at the fact of what they were, modified WoW, and stop looking at them as some horribly evil thing that people are basing them as. There were good and bad private servers, period, some of them were out for money and to exploit money out of other people's creations, there were some who were in it for the fun of modifying a game they loved. BIG Difference there, so please stop treating it like we're all horrible monsters because we even touched or worked on modding WoW.

It should be noted as well, if you are against the artistic modding aspect of WoW Private Servers, you are also against the modding of any game that did not provide a "allowed to mod" TOS, Warcraft 3's only difference between it and WoW is the clause when you start up World Edit that tells you its legal, and even then extracting files from an MPQ violates the TOS for Warcraft 3. Thus meaning none of you are any different from any of us.

Last edited:
Level 24
@Lioness, we are not discussing anything that could cause legal problems, no one is advertising nor making guides, we're discussing the event of them shutting it down and how it makes us feel. My apologies if I'm stepping out of place, but its just a discussion of the events =/ I'll edit out any reference to the website I use in my original post if it violates rules and might get this locked <.< I enjoy this conversation.

nah, the shutdown and crap is okay. But posts like:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/933786-post16.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/935045-post23.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/940607-post29.html
violate the rule

Nightbane, from WoW-V.

Haha you bastard, didn't know you hung out here xD

But yea, my point is just remaining, I'd prefer to not be looked upon any different from any other modder just because I deal with WoW, its a game, its against TOS to modify the files just as much as ANY other game.

Lioness, yea those posts need to get wiped before this whole topic suffers from it ><

abi

abi

Level 2
why troll :O
okay, opinion: private servers gone? no biggie. most of them are still up, blizzard hit the most popular only.
but pservers can never be as good as the good old retail. and the fee is not too high

Level 1
50% true what're u saying...but i don't agree with tihs last thing that they get everything with no trying. You see, when wotlk came out and when every1 get it, that day (first day of playing) better guilds killed Lich. Now it's funny to talk about dps, damage, PVP or PVE because crits are 15k-20k no less no more, because everything now is easy to get on blizz. They ruined the game with DK, they became strongest class in wow even u think it's balanced. Now range rulz in wotlk. Now that's game for kidz with 4 years old. Every1 now can complete naxxramas in 3-4h or buyout T7 with badges << most stupid thing they did.

BTW: WoW Scape still running, only i know that the ToxicWoW is down.
Reason: Blizz wanna earn more money, and toxic made a mistake because they were first pv server witch updated blizzlike server to 3.0.3. PV server must wait 5 months to update servers because my first words, MONEY = Greedy blozz as**oles.

Status
Not open for further replies.