• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Potential fix for playing on the free WC3 version with GameRanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi !

I started playing the map with a couple of friends. Firstly, I have to say: very impressive work, absolutely amazing ! I've just been playing with Dalaran, Forsaken and Nightborne so far. Nightborne lacks an OP unit but then again, I've just played with it like twice or thrice so maybe I didn't get to see all the units more closely.

There are definitely a couple minor bugs like the text on the gold mine or items being displayed in a different position on the screen. Also, I've noticed that choosing Bandit, Legion or Faceless for the AI doesn't work: the workers for the races just mine gold and don't do anything else.

Regarding the fix: we're playing on 1.26a, we're using GameRanger, the free version of WC3 (I personally have Reforged bought) and it's been going great, with no drops or lagspikes. On 1.27b we're experiencing a lot of drops and just general lag. For 1.26a, we managed to override the old map size limit by adding 2 files in the WC3 folder and thus we can also play the map together. Normally, without fixing the issue with the map size limit, we could only have played this map separately, in singleplayer. There is a thread explaining how to add those 2 files and how to make them work for everyone wanting to play this map multiplayer on 1.26a (or any other map that has a bigger size than 8MB, iirc).

1.27b causes massive lag and from 1.28 onward you can only play WC3 from a launcher so it kinda eliminates the access GameRanger used to have with older versions. For these reasons, I hope some players might find this insight, and the thread that comes with it, a bit useful.

Level 14
Maybe I should try that map in 1.26 according to your description.
Where can I get earlier patches?
Anyway Dalaran is hard to play (the units are so frail to feedback for example) so congratulations for playing it.
I prefer playing the scarlet crusade because it is easy to micro it sufficiently well for crushing the computers.

"Also, I've noticed that choosing Bandit, Legion or Faceless for the AI doesn't work: the workers for the races just mine gold and don't do anything else."

Those three races does not work for the ai because ais have not been made for those.
Essentially races with ais are often races for which the original creators made an ai or that are conceptually easy to ai.

Level 1
Maybe I should try that map in 1.26 according to your description.
Where can I get earlier patches?
Anyway Dalaran is hard to play (the units are so frail to feedback for example) so congratulations for playing it.
I prefer playing the scarlet crusade because it is easy to micro it sufficiently well for crushing the computers.

Thanks ! everyone has their preference I guess :D
Regarding the earlier patches.. like 1.26 ? You can try downloading it from here:

➜ Warcraft 3 Patch 1.26a ++ Download & Changelog ++

"Also, I've noticed that choosing Bandit, Legion or Faceless for the AI doesn't work: the workers for the races just mine gold and don't do anything else."

Those three races does not work for the ai because ais have not been made for those.
Essentially races with ais are often races for which the original creators made an ai or that are conceptually easy to ai.

I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.