• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Political Hive: Religions and their influence in societies and politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
As i said, i find the idea of a god as ridiculous as stories about dragons and such. (Sure i find them fun but if you think dragons are real you're quite stupid. Get it?)
Yes, I do get it. Fully.
However, while there is evidence against dragons, there is not evidence against the existence of God.

Technically Komodo Dragons are real, but I'm pretty sure you were talking about the mystical kind.

Level 11
Anyway, there is no reason for the rules to be bad just because they're old. The Constitution is old, the Magna Carta is old, albeit not as old as the Bible, but still.

No, you are right. I should have typed: "We shouldn't use rules that do not fit in in this time. Like tech, you don't rub sticks against each other to get fire, there are better ways. But we still use the wheel, but we pimped it a bit to make it work in this time. And chairs, they have been in use, in the same way for centuries. In this way we should not cling to old rules because they have worked. They should evolve with along with the society."

Better?

I personally think that the Bible has adapted well to the times. Remember the Reformation? or the Counter-Reformation?

Did they re-write the Bible? No. The words in the Bible are holy, and they are not to be edited, and they haven't been in modern time (300 AD-2008 AD), and if I am wrong, correct me. But Christianity has adapted, and doesn't follow every rule in the Good Book (thank God).

Level 14
Did they re-write the Bible? No. The words in the Bible are holy, and they are not to be edited, and they haven't been in modern time (300 AD-2008 AD), and if I am wrong, correct me. But Christianity has adapted, and doesn't follow every rule in the Good Book (thank God).

No they didn't rewrite the Bible but the Church, after the Reformation, realized that people didn't want services in all Latin. People wanted to be able to actually read the Bible, so in a way, yes, they did re-write the Bible.

Realize when I say "the Church" I mean the Catholic Church. Protestants (Martin Luther in particular) did not like the way the Church was operating, and thus made their own church, and were promptly excommunicated.

You're right, Christians have adapted and do not follow every rule in the Bible. If we did we wouldn't be allowed to eat ham.. and that's not possible for me.. I fucking love ham.

Level 24
Uh, Dead Sea Scrolls? The bible has been rewritten, or at the least stories were selectively chosen to be in the bible.

Level 14
Well yeah. There is that. I was speaking in general terms, not going into much detail lol

There was a council that decided which books got to be in the Bible and which ones were not allowed to be in the Bible. So yes, it technically was re-written from it's original meaning.. possibly.

Level 13
Someone wise said that the only way to kill a god is making all those who believes in him or her forget the deity... So no, I suppose a god would need believers as much as the believers need the god.

Level 14
Well assuming that God is real, then yes, it is us who need him more than he needs us. God will continue to exist whether or not humans believe in him or not. Just because people don't believe doesn't make God any less real.

That's all assuming that God is real. If we assume he isn't then yes, he only exists as long as we believe he does.

Once again, one of those things we cannot prove/disprove completely.

Level 5
Like most intellectual things, the bible is for you to interpret to yourself, and like most things, if you do not believe in God he will not exist to You. You won't understand complicated things like the bible to the fullest if you only know what others say it to be. Fact(or fiction) is naught if you cannot understand it to its fullest. As long as the essential message is true to the translations of the bible, it is not a true re-write.

Because there are many common ideas among interpretations of the bible, there are many subgroups and denominations within christianity(and other religions that reference the bible) which emphisize or ignore certain aspects of the bible, the Gospels, Acts, the Epistles, and Revelation, Such as the Pentacost.
Though this causes slight divisions within the christian church, as long as they don't Explicitly conflict christianity wont split into its own "religions." Examples of a explicit conflict is between Catholicism and Christianity, the Most notable is the "godification" of the virgin mary. Although christians believe mary to have been the holy mother of jesus christ, she is nothing more to christians. Catholics, however, seemingly worship the virgin mary as a near equality to Jesus Christ himself.

Then there are the Divisions of the bible concerning Islam and Judaism.

...But i don't think this thread is about the bible or diferences within reliegions concerning bible material, is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.