• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Political Hive: Religions and their influence in societies and politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
What does religion mean to you? Is it the answer to any question? Is it something that should be forggoten in the sake of progress? Anyone who doubts of the existance of the God of any religion should be burn in sacred flames?
Until which point does religion affect politics? Must be justice influenced by it (if someone kills someone, saying that his god told him to do it, should be left free?) Express your opinion here.

Level 13
[Offtopic] We could, but a thread gives more activity rate and more acces to other members of the Hive, not only the members of the group [Offtopic]

Level 21
religion is satisfying a basic human need to try and understand our surroundings and existance. it is a seearch for fact and understanding in our world. that is why i believe almost all communities, from modern, to acient, all over the world, have had some sort of religious belief; in an attempt to explain their own existance. it will always effect politics, and almost everything done in life, because as basic need and a defining point to all communities, it is important to the way those communities are governed.

Level 9
And State and Religion MUST remain separate.
If a law collides with a religion, it must be samely respected.

The reason why the Muslim religion has harder rules and its acolytes are more violent is because it didn't evolve over centuries. And it didn't evolve over centuries because progress hasn't come in islamic areas yet.
The more a population is poor and primitive, the more it will have a strong faith and hard, violent laws related to it.
Muslims in rich countries are in fact usually moderated.

Level 13
In my opinion, some governments are too based on religion. Anyways, I think that religion will cease to exist soon in the developed areas, because science and religion can't coexist.
It can be easily seen that the amount of "inactive believers" is increasing generation after generation, while more and more religious ideas and beliefs are questioned (and proven wrong) by science.

Level 27
Sorry, but i do think that money do kill more people than fanatic terrorists

Wtf are you talking about, difference of religion is a great excuse to butcher eachother. Just because they believe in another god. Sure some religions claim they want peace, but they also want everyone to believe in what they believe. For example the christian crusades and so on, most religions (especially christianity and islam) have a bloody past with lots of people getting killed just because of that stupid 'god'. Why couldn't they want to do it again?

Sure some religions may be based of spiritualism and stuff, but you can't take that risk in my opinion religion should perish. That is the first step to a world without war, oh yes... there will always be violence... but we can at least prevent some of it by manipulating some of the outcomes. But we won't do that, because were all fucked.

And what you said, money? When is money going to kill people? Fanatic muslim, who are terrorists (thus extremists) are in conflict with they're own fucking quaran if i should believe good willing muslims. But in either way or another religious people could NOT want to be hostile against people that DONT believe in a god, but they're holy books surely ARE hostile against us and people who are different. And im not judging because of skin of color. We're all human.

Maybe you meant like, people with money want more power and more money? And they search a good excuse for expanding they're territory and granting themselves more riches. Probably you will think about bush, i don't know what to think about bush. Bush being evil is ridiculous because he could've already nuked europe by now... My point is that religion is also ONE of the main reasons for violence... thus should be banned.

Level 9
Wtf are you talking about, difference of religion is a great excuse to butcher eachother. Just because they believe in another god.
I don't think so, there aren't religious WARS, today,
war between Israel and Palestine started because the Jews created a nation where another was there before, Israel is fighting against Palestine to survive (and they aren't there because of religious reasons, Israel is just America's outpost in the Middle East), and palestinians aren't fighting a "war", theirs is just terrorism. And terrorism is a secondary problem compared to war.

And The_Silent is right about the fact that religions give a moral to people. That's a very good thing.
I hope religions don't perish, but they always remain weaker that the State.

Level 24
science and religion can't coexist.
On the contrary, it has been proven that they can and do. Religion explains why, and science explains how. When religion and science do not coexist peacefully, it is generally because purists and fundamentalists on both sides of the argument refuse to coexist.

It can be easily seen that the amount of "inactive believers" is increasing generation after generation, while more and more religious ideas and beliefs are questioned (and proven wrong) by science.
Excuse me, what? I'd like to know exactly what significant aspects of what religions have been proven wrong by science.

Please post constructive ideas D:
Constructive ideas? This thread is almost certainly destined to become another ridiculous science versus religion shithole. The_wand_mirror certainly seems intent on at least making it an anti-religion discussion.

Wtf are you talking about, difference of religion is a great excuse to butcher eachother. Just because they believe in another god. Sure some religions claim they want peace, but they also want everyone to believe in what they believe. For example the christian crusades and so on, most religions (especially christianity and islam) have a bloody past with lots of people getting killed just because of that stupid 'god'. Why couldn't they want to do it again?

Sure some religions may be based of spiritualism and stuff, but you can't take that risk in my opinion religion should perish. That is the first step to a world without war, oh yes... there will always be violence... but we can at least prevent some of it by manipulating some of the outcomes. But we won't do that, because were all fucked.

And what you said, money? When is money going to kill people? Fanatic muslim, who are terrorists (thus extremists) are in conflict with they're own fucking quaran if i should believe good willing muslims. But in either way or another religious people could NOT want to be hostile against people that DONT believe in a god, but they're holy books surely ARE hostile against us and people who are different. And im not judging because of skin of color. We're all human.

Maybe you meant like, people with money want more power and more money? And they search a good excuse for expanding they're territory and granting themselves more riches. Probably you will think about bush, i don't know what to think about bush. Bush being evil is ridiculous because he could've already nuked europe by now... My point is that religion is also ONE of the main reasons for violence... thus should be banned.
Oh, so religion is the source of every single problem on the face of the planet? Suck that, global warming!

Listen fuckface, every single long-lasting powerful organisation or collective in the history of the earth has had corrupted members and periods of widespread corruption. Just because it's conspicuous when it happens to religion does not mean it only happens to religion. Some people need somewhere or something to turn to, for support and guidance and whatever else, and those people almost never have the option of turning to people. As many evils as organised religion has brought into the world, it has brought at least tenfold good.

One last little thing, you have as much of an idea about the differences and the significance of the differences between Shiite and Sunni Muslims, what fucking right do you have to criticize that it has become violent? Every single divisive issue creates extremism; eco-terrorists much? So close to being reported for massive fucking idiocy, trolling, and spam.

Level 13
On the contrary, it has been proven that they can and do. Religion explains why, and science explains how.
Examples please. I would really like to know where can you put a scientist and a priest in a small room without them fighting or holding a debate.

Excuse me, what? I'd like to know exactly what significant aspects of what religions have been proven wrong by science.
Erm... Splitting up seas, ressurection, omnipotence, omnipresence... Do I need to continue?

Constructive ideas? This thread is almost certainly destined to become another ridiculous science versus religion shithole. The_wand_mirror certainly seems intent on at least making it an anti-religion discussion.
This thread will become what it has to become, and probably what posters want to do with it.

Listen fuckface
fucking right do you have
I will quote you as an answer:
So close to being reported for massive fucking idiocy, trolling, and spam.
Please respect everyone, it's just a debate.

Level 14
Examples please. I would really like to know where can you put a scientist and a priest in a small room without them fighting or holding a debate.

Erm... Splitting up seas, ressurection, omnipotence, omnipresence... Do I need to continue?

Actually it would be nice, because SCIENCE has proven that the splitting of seas is possble. Cells can regenerate and people can come out of comas. Omnipotence and omnipresence are around us. So your argument is impeccably wrong.

Masiah said:
This thread will become what it has to become, and probably what posters want to do with it.

It's your thread, you steer it in the correct direction.

Masiah said:

And you in turn have to respect them back, and from what I have seen this thread has been disrespect by one side and none from the other, and then when Teh_Ephy blows giant holes in your theories you think he's being disrespectful.

Level 27
The reason why the Muslim religion has harder rules and its acolytes are more violent is because it didn't evolve over centuries. And it didn't evolve over centuries because progress hasn't come in islamic areas yet.
The more a population is poor and primitive, the more it will have a strong faith and hard, violent laws related to it.
You know, I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. It kinda presents the same dilemma when asked, "Do your parents know you're gay?"
In my opinion, some governments are too based on religion. Anyways, I think that religion will cease to exist soon in the developed areas, because science and religion can't coexist.
You know what? Why don't I give you an impossible task?
Find where Islam conflicts with science.
Hint: It doesn't. The scientific method was practically made by Muslims.
Science and religion are definitely not mutually exclusive.
You want to attack a certain religion, be my guest, but don't say all religions are the opposite of science, because it is blatantly false.
IMO religion is a waste of time and it holds people back.
How so? Doesn't hold me back.
For example the christian crusades and so on, most religions (especially christianity and islam) have a bloody past with lots of people getting killed just because of that stupid 'god'.
Leaders wage war. Religion was not the reason for the Crusades.
Sure some religions may be based of spiritualism and stuff, but you can't take that risk in my opinion religion should perish.
Take no risks? Do I need to elaborate on this or is it obvious?
That is the first step to a world without war
Leaders wage war. As long as we keep our leaders in check war should not happen.
My point is that religion is also ONE of the main reasons for violence... thus should be banned.
I hope that by simply quoting this, you realize how stupid of an idea this is.

Level 12
Erm... Splitting up seas, ressurection, omnipotence, omnipresence... Do I need to continue?.
well, considering the thought that there is a god, wouldnt he be able to bend the rules of physics, and even let other people do it aswell?

Only becouse a God exist doesnt mean Science doesnt

Leaders wage war
sadly enough, it doesnt have to be that way :S

Level 9
You know, I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. It kinda presents the same dilemma when asked, "Do your parents know you're gay?"

What do you mean? Do you think my post was offensive because I called "primitive" islamic populations?
It's not their fault. Capitalism was born elsewhere and capitalists didn't want to share the benefits of their economic system with Africa, Asia, and the middle East.
In Kenya people still burn witches...

Level 24
I'll give an example of our very own Elenai. He used to be a huge fucking religious zealot, and has recently began trying to reconcile his religious beliefs with science. Also, there's a difference between holding a debate and being unable to coexist (as you even say later in your post, lol).

Splitting up seas
As a matter of fact, that one in particular was proven true. The sea split on its own because of a low tide and a high underwater ridge, but it still split.

ressurection omnipotence, omnipresence...
And how have those been disproven? Omnipotence and omnipresence aren't something that can be tested one way or another, and there are all sorts of theories as to how Jesus came back, but it's relatively certain that he somehow did.
Do I need to continue?
Yes, as a matter of fact, you do. Stories aren't a part of religious beliefs, they are the justification for them.

Fair enough.

Why should I respect someone who isn't showing proper respect himself?

Please do not insult people in the threads of our group.
See above.

Of course not. Wait, I'm missing something here.

Leaders wage war. Religion was not the reason for the Crusades.
As a matter of fact, the reason for the Crusades was a Pope on a power trip, which is ironically not religious.

What do you mean? Do you think my post was offensive because I called "primitive" islamic populations?
It's not their fault. Capitalism was born elsewhere and capitalists didn't want to share the benefits of their economic system with Africa, Asia, and the middle East.
In Kenya people still burn witches...

I hope you're well aware that for several many centuries (a millennium or so, even?), the Middle and Far East were centuries more advanced than the West, and capitalism is not the source of innovation, it merely provides larger incentive. Just because the tables turned does not make those areas any less valuable.

I think this post is getting out of control, it's like crossfire, total chaos of one attacking one anouther, without much reason, (i think i'm gonna get attacked now)
Didn't I already call that?
This thread is almost certainly destined to become another ridiculous science versus religion shithole.

lets just say, i would attack cristian:
In the bible is writen than the world have excisted in mearly 5000 years, that's defenently proven wrong (it also said that adam (from adam and eva) became about 1000 years, and sons nearly as much, that don't make sence if the world is only 5000 years old.)

That don't mean the cristian god don't exist, but that people somtimes don't listen when god says 50 billion year (Can't say for sure if it was 50 million)

Tell me if i'm wrong, but don't attack or flame plz

Level 14
I guess that everyone completely forgets that science stemmed out of religion.
So they are always going to be tied together, whether you believe it or not.

On the contrary, it has been proven that they can and do. Religion explains why, and science explains how. When religion and science do not coexist peacefully, it is generally because purists and fundamentalists on both sides of the argument refuse to coexist.

QFT.

Level 13
Actually it would be nice, because SCIENCE has proven that the splitting of seas is possble.
Indeed it is. By a man guiding people with a stick? I doubt it.
As a matter of fact, that one in particular was proven true. The sea split on its own because of a low tide and a high underwater ridge, but it still split.
Proven by who?
Cells can regenerate and people can come out of comas.
Get a corpse a few days after it died. If you ressurect it, I will believe you. Don't compare a come to death...
Omnipotence and omnipresence are around us.
It gives me the impression that you think we are heading the way to turn into Gods. I think it will be fun... but no. Try this:
Imagine that you go walking one day, and you meet God on your way. You say:
- Hey, God? How are you doing?
He will probably answer that everything is going allright. (He is God, right?) Then you say:
- Hey God, I've got a challenge for you! Could you make me knot with a string that no one can untie, even you.
Well, God claps his hands and a string with a knot on it will appear out of thin air. He hands it to you, daring you to untie it. You check that it is impossible to untie, hand it back to God and ask him (or her?) to untie it. And here is the most interesting part of the story; which gives us 2 possibles solutions:
a) God unties the knot, meaning that he can't create something that can't be destroyed.
b) God isn't able to untie the knot, meaning that... he (or she) can't do it.

There goes your omnipotence, with science or without it. All kind of absolutes are nonsense, because even this absolute has it's own exeption: itself. And yes, I know that God hasn't to be omnipotent and omniconscient, I have had this argument loads of times, 75% (aproximately) of my friends are believers.

So your argument is impeccably wrong.
Maybe it is, but it hasn't been proven wrong... yet.

It's your thread, you steer it in the correct direction.
The whole idea is to give liberty to everyone so he or she can express opinions, I will limit no one.

And you in turn have to respect them back, and from what I have seen this thread has been disrespect by one side and none from the other, and then when Teh_Ephy blows giant holes in your theories you think he's being disrespectful.
Teh_Ephy has all the right to critise and find faults in my theories, that is what debates are made for. I completely respect him, as any other member of this community or any other. But, I believe, I haven't called no-one "fuckface" yet.

lets just say, i would attack cristian:
In the bible is writen than the world have excisted in mearly 5000 years, that's defenently proven wrong (it also said that adam (from adam and eva) became about 1000 years, and sons nearly as much, that don't make sence if the world is only 5000 years old.)

That don't mean the cristian god don't exist, but that people somtimes don't listen when god says 50 billion year (Can't say for sure if it was 50 million)

Tell me if i'm wrong, but don't attack or flame plz

One more example. And quoted for truth.

Level 9
I hope you're well aware that for several many centuries (a millennium or so, even?), the Middle and Far East were centuries more advanced than the West,
That's it, they were more advanced and so was their religion compared to the christian church. Now it's the countrary.
and capitalism is not the source of innovation, it merely provides larger incentive.
that larger incentive is what makes the difference between those countries where islamic terrorism is more powerful, where most of the people don't have electricity at home, and those where religion is more moderated, where capitalism has deeper roots.
Just because the tables turned does not make those areas any less valuable.
absolutely.

Level 14
That's it, they were more advanced and so was their religion compared to the christian church. Now it's the countrary.

that larger incentive is what makes the difference between those countries where islamic terrorism is more powerful, where most of the people don't have electricity at home, and those where religion is more moderated, where capitalism has deeper roots.

Don't give me that crap that the Arab countries aren't as rich/advanced as other capitalists.

Look at the UAE or Saudi Arabia the amount of money that those people have is frightening.

Science and religion have nothing to do with money. The end.

Level 14
And that is pertinent to this discussion how?
I was disproving HorizonTal. Anyway it's not one person. That doesn't matter here though.

Science and religion are forever tied together.

Level 24
Proven by who?
I don't know, and if I did manage to find the article in Discover Magazine that mentioned it, I don't think it said who anyways. Also in that same article, they said that the place where Jesus walked on water can have ice form under the proper conditions.

It gives me the impression that you think we are heading the way to turn into Gods. I think it will be fun... but no. Try this:
He will probably answer that everything is going allright. (He is God, right?) Then you say:
- Hey God, I've got a challenge for you! Could you make me knot with a string that no one can untie, even you.
Well, God claps his hands and a string with a knot on it will appear out of thin air. He hands it to you, daring you to untie it. You check that it is impossible to untie, hand it back to God and ask him (or her?) to untie it. And here is the most interesting part of the story; which gives us 2 possibles solutions:
a) God unties the knot, meaning that he can't create something that can't be destroyed.

There goes your omnipotence, with science or without it. All kind of absolutes are nonsense, because even this absolute has it's own exeption: itself. And yes, I know that God hasn't to be omnipotent and omniconscient, I have had this argument loads of times, 75% (aproximately) of my friends are believers.
Omnipotence defies all logic, just as the Christian god does.

Maybe it is, but it hasn't been proven wrong... yet.
And religion hasn't been proven wrong yet. Do you see the circular logic, there?

Teh_Ephy has all the right to critise and find faults in my theories, that is what debates are made for. I completely respect him, as any other member of this community or any other. But, I believe, I haven't called no-one "fuckface" yet.
If someone told you that everything you truly believed in, something that had changed your God-damned life, was outrightly wrong, was bad, deserved to be wiped off of the face of the earth, would you be offended? I go out of my way like that, and what The_wand_mirror did is exactly that; completely denounce something that can changes peoples' lives for the better. Yes, religion has brought suffering into the world, but it has brought joy than sorrow. To deny that joy is to spit in the face of everyone that has ever benefited from it, which is a whole fucking lot.

you know about oil don't you... Making single people get extreamly amounts of momey
And you don't know about oil in oil-rich regions, do you? The oil gets taxed and everybody benefits from it.

Level 12

there is nothing that actually says that god actually did a tie that is untie-able. Maybe he fooled you with one of his tricks :p

and if god could do anything, he could make a tie that he couldnt untie, and untie at the same time, considering the thought that he would be able to do anything

and we really cant say anything about this, since we dont actually know how a person who can do anything would or can do

that's what i would call backfire^^
Of cause i meant thread, i'm just begun my coffein-zombie mode for to night.

and now i seems i will get attacked, lets see how that goes :p

the second riches man is rich because of oil, its not split propper enoug to benefit that much, that they have the same standarts as we have

i think the world is a bit to complex of only one man to rule, i'll gues he got a lots of archangles helping him doing it, the other thing whould be to got damn big in consideration that the nearest star is 40k lightyears away, thats a lot of space looking over

Level 13
If someone told you that everything you truly believed in, something that had changed your God-damned life, was outrightly wrong, was bad, deserved to be wiped off of the face of the earth, would you be offended? I go out of my way like that, and what The_wand_mirror did is exactly that; completely denounce something that can changes peoples' lives for the better. Yes, religion has brought suffering into the world, but it has brought joy than sorrow. To deny that joy is to spit in the face of everyone that has ever benefited from it, which is a whole fucking lot.

I believe I offended you... my experience failed me. Many of my friends believe in God, but I have discussed the same topics with them (but they still remain neutral and unconcluded D:), but I have never offended someone in a debate like this. If I somehow hurt your feelings, please excuse me. I mean harm and I am only expressing my view on the world.

I quit argumenting against your points of view, because I see it's impossible without flaming in some way (even if it's not my intention).

Level 24
Oh, I wasn't offended personally. I was offended on the behalf of religious persons, and not by you, but by The_wand_mirror. I go out of my way like that. You can continue your counter-argument, you've been doing a pretty good job of not being offensive. At least, you haven't ever called religion bad.

Level 13
And I won't. If people do good things in name of religion or any kind of God, how can I criticise them? It goes against logic.

Level 27
Classic.

God, being able to do anything, would create the knot.
He would then be unable to tie it because in creating the knot he removed his omnipotence.
Of course, just because you ask him to do something does not mean he will. Why limit his own power?

Level 13
To give us something to talk about. It is a very important thing.
It's just a way to prove that absolutes are nonsense. We could quote the Simpsons to give the same effect:
Homer to Flanders said:
"Could Jesus prepare a curry so hot that even he couldn't eat it?"

Level 14
Mortal man cannot and will never be able to comprehend God. Man uses science to try to disprove the existence of God, but in doing so, they prove the existence of God.

Assuming/Believing that God is, then that explains science. There is no valid argument for the creation of the world/universe, so is it so hard to believe that there is some external force that created it?

Why would God care about some stupid knot anyway? Fuck the knot, just use scissors.

Level 9
Don't give me that crap that the Arab countries aren't as rich/advanced as other capitalists.
Look at the UAE or Saudi Arabia the amount of money that those people have is frightening.
Science and religion have nothing to do with money. The end.
I challenge you to find ONE rich terrorist.
And those 2 are the only arabian states whit a "decent" economy, 5% of the population is VERY, VERY rich.
What I'm trying to say is that islamic terrorism exists because muslims are poor. Do you have another explaination? Are they an "inferiour race" ? I think not.
(Also, EVERYTHING has to do with money)

Level 14
Uh. Last time I checked, all terrorists were rich >.>
They get money from governments to fund their terrorist acts...

1? ok. Hamas, Al Queda (though that's not true anymore.. we kinda butt fucked their organization), Hezbollah.... etc..

Do I have to go on?

Level 24
Mortal man cannot and will never be able to comprehend God. Man uses science to try to disprove the existence of God, but in doing so, they prove the existence of God.
Uh, no. Idiots use science to try to disprove the existence of God. No data can be gathered in either direction, so science must remain neutral.

Assuming/Believing that God is, then that explains science. There is no valid argument for the creation of the world/universe, so is it so hard to believe that there is some external force that created it?
There's valid explanations, but the justification for them are slightly less than.

Uh. Last time I checked, all terrorists were rich >.>
They get money from governments to fund their terrorist acts...

1? ok. Hamas, Al Queda (though that's not true anymore.. we kinda butt fucked their organization), Hezbollah.... etc..

Do I have to go on?

The people that they recruit to actually go out and suicide bomb are generally dirt poor.

Level 13
The people that they recruit to actually go out and suicide bomb are generally dirt poor.

Agreed. Terrorist use these people, most whom are in a desperate situation, to suicide "in the name of Alah", washing their brains with evil reeditions of the Quoran and intentionaly making they misunderstand the teachings of islam to make them believe that everyone who isn't an extremist is someone who should be "purged".

Agreed. Terrorist use these people, most whom are in a desperate situation, to suicide "in the name of Alah", washing their brains with evil reeditions of the Quoran and intentionaly making they misunderstand the teachings of islam to make them believe that everyone who isn't an extremist is someone who should be "purged".

When you got nothing, brainwash isen't nesesary

Level 13
Maybe, but if you are poor it doesn't mean you don't have a family, and many suicide-bombers leave family behind... They need to be brainwashed for that. I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.