• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pokemon RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Ok, but you must the say the order of the terrainers, like:

1- TDHX
2- HFR
3- LoS
4- A random guy.

Also, you should specify which areas someone must terrain.

NOTE: If you saw that a user named ''RAPER" replied to this thread, but when you check it and the post doesn't appears, remember, he's globally ignored for being a new user, so, don't be afraid, he's not a hacker...

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Yep. And I'll start the "process" tomorrow. TDHX already said the instructions and I'll not use blizzard cliffs!

Also, if any member of the team would like to give suggestions, of course, they must be... smart, I'll hear them all.

Level 35
lol, that explains quite a bit about RAPER.

But to answer his question, I got to be honest and say it irritates me when someone asks that. I mean, come on, this thread is in the Project Development forums, not the 'Completed Projects That People Like To Pretend Are Theirs And Talk About What They'd Do In Developing It' forums. Any versions of the map are in the pre-pre-beta stages, and only we will be looking at them in the current moment. When we feel as if we have enough for a post-beta-beta sample, we may or may not reveal the map to the public. If we do, it will only be a select few people of our choice who are not strictly in the group but have contributed to our forums more than enough (for example LTGH and Versaigen and such other contributing characters). But we won't be giving samples to people who just decide they're going to spam a few messages here about how they like Mudkip (I'm talking to you, Adolfukin) and then expect to receive a copy of the map in its beta stages because they 'deserve' it.

On that note, I'm glad to see that no one has (as far as I am aware) decided they are going to ask the common and VERY irritating question that I call the 'What about this one?' genre. An example of this question would be 'What about Growlithe? Come on, give the little guy a break, he may not be great, but he should be included.' FFS!!! We've specified what Pokemon we're including, that's it! Is Growlithe one of the first 251? Yes? Then he may be included. Is he one of the first 151? Yes? Then he's definitely included!! Anyway, thank god we haven't had any more questions like that, they piss me off to a whole new level.

Oh, speaking of spam, can someone tell HFR no? He PMed me this:

HFR said:
Your breathe feels so wonderful down my neck. Or so I imagine. Never having met you in person allows my fantasies to go to where no man has gone before. I'm wearing my spandex, in case you wanted to know. Here's a picture of me naked.

*Shudders*

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Holy Fuck I'm naked!!!

Really Wazzz, those PMs are getting stranger. That was for HC and only him!

As I said I'll stop spamming, well I'll stop spamming, so, to make at least a constructive post, I... I... Okey dokey, I think I can make a list of Dos and Don'ts here. So, let's start:

1. Thou shall never ask if we gonna add a certain pokemon.
  2. Thou shall not Flame at the thread
  3. Thou shall never ask for a beta.
  4. Thou shall only post something here after reading the whole thread.
  5. Thou shall never ask for rep here (i.e. Adolfuckin, he asked and got fucked)
  6. Thou shall only ask something with the permission of one of the team members. Otherwise, we'll report you.
  7. Thou shall kick our balls if this project dies.
  8. Thou shall never spam the thread.

Level 1
Ok people xD
Don't be angry about my questions pls)
And the last thing i want to ask you it is about geography oh this map. Players will start from Alabastia or not?)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
But it's not a common dance. It's the Safety Dance!

Just to say that I'll start it tomorrow (busy, busy, busy...)

So, if you guys have some notes to say about (details, how I should make something, etc...), say now. You have 2 hours.

Level 38
As far as the terrain is going, this is what I know from re-doing the R/B/Y terrain in WC3 - basically half of the map is interior environments, like caves, miscellaneous houses, gyms, buildings, etc. And from looking at your terrain and reading your posts it seems you are going for a first-person view camera.

Anyways, what I propose is that you have different camera systems for the exterior and interior environments in your map so that you can get a better feel for buildings/caves without having to adjust the terrain to one type of camera system. I was thinking perhaps just transition to an overhead view for these regions, or if you were feeling up to it do a sort of Final-Fantasy take on these locations and place a network of cameras for these regions, were their field of view would cover were your character could go for that camera, and if you exit the camera's field of view your view would be changed to the camera that did cover the location, or back to the first-person view when you exit these regions. I feel like I did a really shitty job explaining that and only people that played Final Fantasy will have any idea about what I said.

Anyways, I just wanted to throw out ideas for dealing with the terrain based on the camera system you are going to use, as it can have a great effect on how the terrain is made. You should defiantly have subterranean environments and be able to go inside buildings, so this is something you should defiantly consider ;)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
As far as I know, the map will use a RPG camera, that's like WoW camera. About the different cameras, I really don't know, as I'll do the exteriors (beaches, forests, fields, etc.).

Also, if the others agree, I think importing your RPG tiles would not be a bad idea.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Edit: Well, I worked on it a lil bit (lil' bit = 2 hours) And here's the basic layout of the town:

Before I show it, I have some small questions:

1) The town is a rustic, village-like one or a rich and modern small vity, with roads (cityscape tiles)?
2) The houses must be modern-like or I can use the UTM ones? I finished some with the UTM ones and they look alright.
3) I'm allowed to import some lil things? (Well, I already imported some :p)

59961d1247024658-pokemon-rpg-pokemap-1.jpg

59962d1247024658-pokemon-rpg-pokemap-2.jpg

Note: The Paladin is there just for scaling purposes.

Attachments

• Pokemap 1.jpg
    Pokemap 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Pokemap 2.jpg
    Pokemap 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 1
As far as I know, the map will use a RPG camera, that's like WoW camera. About the different cameras, I really don't know, as I'll do the exteriors (beaches, forests, fields, etc.).

And if it will be so, player will controll his charactar by mouse or arrows?

{EDIT}
Argh...
People i really want to play it)))
Tell me pls when you will finigh it? In that periods?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
If you mean the hometown:
A rustic village with very few houses. One of them must be big(ger) (Lab),,

If you mean first city:
A big village with lots of houses, among them big houses. Must include Pokécenter and Pokémart.

But those houses look really awesome!

Level 38
Also, if the others agree, I think importing your RPG tiles would not be a bad idea.

:D

The principal behind that tileset is basically what revived my interest in pokemon again, I wanted to see if I could re-create an old-school game with square tiles, worked out OK. You could also replace a few tiles in that tileset if you use it, I noted that in it's terms of use/whatever so you could add carpet and concrete tiles or something useful over some of the tiles you will never have a use for. As for the other tilesets your using it isn't particularly hard to set up different tilesets if you need them, especially ones with only 2 texture variations, so if you need something else in that sense you can always keep that in mind. Making tilesets just screams CnP as well, so it requires almost no effort to do. I think I remeber Darkxs saying he was working with CnP a good deal still, so you might even be able to get him to do some tilesets for you if you feel your in dire need of something.

As for the terrain, well... I always thought pokemon was set in a more modern setting, at least were you set out. Those buildings all look very old and medieval, I think the angled wooden beams, tiny windows and stone walls really give that impression. That would look good for a town like lavender town that has a haunted tower/mansion, but idk. Solid, colorful walls, colorful posters, and large/at least normal sized windows would make it look better ;).
Of course, if your importing skins for those you won't have to worry about file size increases if you modify the skins to make them more colorful/fit your theme. And pokemon is all about being colorful; I mean the games are all named after a color (red, blue, yellow, gold, etc) and every town except pallet town is a color in R/B/Y as well. Of course a pallet is also something painters use to pick and set colors on, and is the town you can pick your starter from. So you need to make it more colorful :D

Off-topic: I think all the cities/towns in gold/silver are named after types of trees/bushes, with the starting town being New Bark Town. You should pick a theme for naming all of you cities/towns as well :D (/me adds another mostly trivial topic to increase spam count XD)

Anyways, good work so far, scaling and placement of everything works out pretty well :D

Level 16
Well, we decided the map to be warcraft style,, so tiles that are only squares really dont appeal to me that much if i think about what we said.

Now names are always a subject of struggle, because do we name the towns with a theme or do we just give them cool random names? And is goldenrod a tree?

And yeah, good job HFR ;)

Level 38
Well, we decided the map to be warcraft style,, so tiles that are only squares really dont appeal to me that much if i think about what we said.

Oh, woops - what I meant for creating new tiles was you can CnP together a new WC3 tileset without much effort, you don't have to set them up the way I did.

As for my tileset it is geared towards the insides of buildings, so it shouldn't look out of place there, and if used under a tile with edges it can still be used outside. Mostly I have found WC3 tiles do look out of place inside.

Now names are always a subject of struggle, because do we name the towns with a theme or do we just give them cool random names? And is goldenrod a tree?

And yeah, good job HFR ;)

I think it's a type of bush. Maybe it was just plants in general for silver/gold now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure Azelia is a type of flower.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Back at the first 10 pages, when the crew was a lot smaller, me, Wazzz and Yixx had this discussion about city names, just some that I remember:

- Silverplate
- Hundrel
- Castelia

I forgot, but there are more. Also, thanks for the replies guys!

BTW, TDHX, I'm making the first town or the home town? If I'm making the home town, the big building with green roof will be the lab.

Level 16

News Flash

During the last week the leader of the Project Pokémon RPG has tried to contact
a member named Zerox, not to be confused with Zeron, a member of the team.
Yixx, the leader of the Project got a new message from Zerox today, and has had
some more contact and discussed a subject which concerned the whole Pokémon
RPG team. Yixx has had contact with HappyCockroach before about the fact that
more people are needed on Model resources of the project. For that, Yixx sent
Zerox an invitation to the Team. Zerox has sent a message back and Yixx came
to the following conclusion:

New Member!

Name: --- Zerox ---
Task: -- Modelling --

Invitation: Accepted!

Please Welcome our new Team Member: Zerox!

P.S. Zerox will not be online much due to holidays and vacation.

@ Zeron: I can look into it ;)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Welcome, Zerox.

Ok, Zeron, as you must know about the map, well, I'll explain:

The current (and "official" map) is with me now. I'm terraining the first 2/3 areas. As I don't know who's the next to terrain... Well, ask TDHX :p

BTW, I finished some more things, like this "Fisherman's House".

Note: The Arthas is there just for scale purposes, as he's a doodad, he's bigger at one image.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pokemap 3.jpg
    Pokemap 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Pokemap 4.jpg
    Pokemap 4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 217
Level 13
Actually the lastest terrain looks so badass that I could help too with this great project. I can do spells for pokemon in GUI. They should be something simple and Im not interested to do all the spells just some when i have time and motivation.

Anyway if you interested you can check my maps and tell what kind of spells you want. Synergy? Dota like skills or what. Personally I think they should be synergy skills with some required "skill" to use. Nothing too complicated. Maybe something like missiles and novas with different types of effects. I think I have some ideas.

Level 16
Triggering/scripting is almost all done by me, mainly because i still want to have to do something myself xD,, and i want everything to be clean. Also, i have been suggested, by Source(X), to convert everything to Jass, for efficiency meanings,, and to organize code, so it wont be a combo of GUI and Jass,,

kewlthis, I'm pretty sure you're good, but our team had 2 recent additions in the last few days and I believe we are going to be more stable for a while. The game codes are in JASS, and Yixx is responsible for them. He is the project leader, therefore he's the one who's supposed to say whether you may join or not... if he needs help he will tell you.

Btw, HFR, I gotta admit, this terrain looks pretty badass. I assume you didn't start the tile variation and grass doodads, right? So far the houses look awesome.

The only complaint I got is that you guys beg me to lower the models filesize, "80kb is big", and give some other filesize critics while you use the UTM doodad models. This makes little sense. I'll keep on trying to make models of low filesize, but if something needs to be cut off, it is certainly the doodads.

EDIT: Yixx posted before me xD

Level 16
I know we are. But i also thought about that. I do not want HFR, TDHX or any of the other terrainers to use all of the UTM possibilitys, because 4MB for doodads is just insane! All unneeded imports will be deleted after we finish the terrain, therefor i want you guys to not use too much UTM stuff,, just trees, houses, fences etc, but not the things like glasses, books, etc. Those will be deleted

I just think that a doodad shitstorm is someway disrespectful to all the sweat and blood I've put to reduce models filesize. Although 8MB are allowed, no one would wait for such a long download.

The small doodads are the smallest in filesize. Just these houses have taken up a bunch.

But I can't end HFR's joy like that. Let's just keep going and cut off what we need to cut off in the end.

Level 18
i dont wanna rip a big whole in anybody but....

The UTM Import section with all the models, is iextremely complicated when you tamper with it.
Many models in the UTM have textures that tie together alot. So i suggest you keep the doodads that are in there, and most lilkly, we are gonna use them....i mean everything.

and we terrainers hate the fact that its almost impossible to reduce that size, and unluckly for us, we cant remove them most of the time.

But the UTM wasn't made to playable multiplayer maps. You can import doodads one by one. I mean, wtf. I have put a lot of effort on the filesize when doing my models and you guys just load freaking 4MB into the map at once, as nothing was wrong.
And models can always be erased with no loss of any other file, unless they are reference to Particle Emitters 1, what I doubt that any terraining model has.

I don't know what to think. We can just accept it, cause you guys got a goddamn progress, and that's worth it, or ask to import only useful doodads.

And TDHX, give me a break... extremely complicated to delete resources? LOL. I can do it in half an hour with no loss of used texture, or model. Really.

I just ask HFR to repeat as much the doodads as he can, so there are more that we can delete. Keep in mind that I had to cut off many details and effects to the models to save only 10-20kb per model.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, to start, I didn't started the tile work (yet). Also, small doodads, such as glasses, plates, books, etc are very useful at indoor areas, such as the interior of the Pokemarts, houses and such.

Also, a lot of doodads aren't necessary not because of the fact that they're big, but they doesn't fit at all, for example, the several orc doodads, like orc walls, fortress, paliçades, etc.

But, really, I'll not make the map a doodad extravaganza, but I must a lot of them, because the pokemon games have a lot pf different environments, like deserts, forests and caves.

Last edited:
Delete all the pedestal models, many of the wall models, and everything useless, even before continuing the terrain. If the filesize of the model is big, delete unless it is damn necessary.
Then, when you got only the ones you think that are required select 'Export All Files', put them inside a zip/rar and I'm gonna squish/optimize them. If you are unsure about which textures are required, send all of them to me and I'll delete the unused ones.
By doing all of this I'm pretty sure the doodads won't be bigger than 1MB. (what is already outrageous and crazy big)
Please do it before working on the terrain further, HFR. You can keep on working on it before I finish, since they won't have their name changed.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Of course, every level 3 or above terrainer uses the UTM 3.0. The n00b users or import the models themselves or terrain only with melee doodads ;P

I almost forgot DON'T download the 4x version. It's a "light" version, with less imports. For short, don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.