• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Please change the Author Column

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Plz moderators do something to this site, do you know that the author list column is huge 110 kbites?

Each time we browse any file on this site we must download 200-300 kbites of html page and 110 of them are used ONLY by the column that lists all authors.

I don't think anyone really uses it to select a random author from the list soo i propose to change it with a simple text form (like the one used for "search") where you can type the name (or part of it) of authors. This would be easier then scrolling the list too...

If you can do this you will half our file browsing time on wc3sear.ch....

Level 25
Bibendus, anyone but you I would go at for this

I'm getting frustrated by it, mainly because we, as the moderators, can't do anything about it. None of us have the expertise which Darky commands of the site, and thus we're blind as cave salamanders when it comes to the workings of the site

So while we'd love to do something, we can't

Level 7
Really i said this because it's simple to modify it. It needs low knowledges of SQL commands and low knowledge of html.

Open index.php and:

1) Remove the big javascript that allows author scrolling and replace it with a simple textbox.
To do this you must:

a) Delete this line
'<input type="hidden" name="Authors" value="">'

b) Delete the big loop that adds all the authors name.

c) Replacing the loop with this
'<input type="text" name="Authors" value="" style="border-color:#CBA300;border-width:1px;border-style:solid;width:120px;">'

2) Change the author condition in WHERE part when you query the database for the file lists.
Change the (DB_Author = 'Author_Name') with (DB_Author LIKE '%Author_Name%')
You can copy this from the "Search" condition that already exists.

Level 7
OMFG darky is a nerd!
He got all reputation to exalted with all WoW factions and was able to go at minimum reputation with booty bay to buy the pirate's hat you see in one of the 2 screens and raise again this reputation to return neutral...

For people that doesnt know what does it mean... 24 hours of WoW playing every day O_O

Cmon he'll not come back until he won't bore of WoW and on september the new expansion will come out soo don't expect he will do something for this site.

Level 9
Darky is not a nerd, not once have i seen him act like a nerd in the little amount of posts of his ive seen. Even if he is his still better then you any day so thats just putting yourself down by calling him a nerd.

Level 6
although Bibendus was starting to get out of line, i must agree with his complaint - map listing and search screens take forever to load for poor dial-up wimps like me...

while darky did a good job with the site at start, the fact remains he miscalculated the speed at which author listboxes will grow. and that is not difficult to fix, if anyone could contact him.

we are not talking serious html/php development here - we want a feature deleted, not created. or at least the entire table row containing the author box could be moved BELOW the map/model/skin thumbnail grid. that way, we could stop the loading of main page and start opening resource pages without having to wait for the UTTERLY USELESS 100+ KB author box.

Status
Not open for further replies.