• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Change map "Author" to real "Author"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
There are currently 3 places on a map resource on hive workshop where a name of a person is attached to a map.

1. Top left corner of resource, under "submitted".

upload_2018-10-28_19-12-28.png

2. Top right corner of resource, under "author".

upload_2018-10-28_19-15-7.png

3. Above resource comment section, under "author".

upload_2018-10-28_19-15-45.png

Currently, #2 does not represent the real author, but just the account name of the person who submitted the resource. The real author's name is only shown at #3. I was wondering if the resource submitter's name at #2 could be replaced by the real author's name. Currently very few people will bother looking at #3, since the box in #2 provides all the information that the box in #3 does. As a result, where the resource submitter and the true author are different people (i.e someone is posting the map on another person's behalf), most people will automatically assume the submitter is the real author because of #2, which is very wrong.

Since on hiveworkshop, most resources are submitted by the real author's themselves, this seems to not be so much of an issue, but I think as different Warcraft 3 communities come together over time, and more resources are shared between them, there will be more and more cases where the submitter does not equal the true owner, and the confusion described above will become more and more common. I know that there is probably already a list of future changes to implement for the website, and this request is probably not seen as a high priority request, but could this suggestion be at least be added to that list? There are ways to mitigate this confusion, such as stating the true author's name on the map description and so on, but this is often not enough, as most people will assume #2 is the official statement of map ownership.

Because this is a question about map ownership, hopefully people can view this as a serious issue, even though this kind of problem is currently not arising very often~~

Reactions: pyf
Level 23
It is an issue when the username has minor or any difference from the author's.

I see this as an excess, zeal. The description mentions the reality and so does the campaign in most cases.
The issue with minor difference between author and submitter should be ok, since #1 still shows the submitter's name.

If this matter could be dealt with in staff contact, I would have just asked there, since most people probably do not upload things on other people's behalf, but I assumed since the name is hyper linked in #2, that it must be a real account, so staff contact could not in theory help me add in a name there for an account that does not exist.

Even if the description mentions it, people just look at the top right box, since that has the download button. And it shows the submitter as the "author". Actually, the box at #2 contains all the information as box in #3, it is just missing the real author's name.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If this matter could be dealt with in staff contact, I would have just asked there, since most people probably do not upload things on other people's behalf, but I assumed since the name is hyper linked in #2, that it must be a real account, so staff contact could not in theory help me add in a name there for an account that does not exist.
They can replace it with a text that says Public Resource Provider. It's not an account. I think they could change that text to match the author's name. You just have to ask Ralle.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
It's not really that simple. The author text field from maps/campaigns cannot really be used for anything. You can't click it and get other maps by the person and you cannot contact the person either.

I am not 100% sharp on the map rules right now but if you submit a map made by someone else I'm pretty sure you have to also write that it's not yours in the description. You can even be disowned in the author fields while maintain powers to update it.

A lot of the code is also re-used between models, icons, textures, tools and those don't come with author fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.