• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Piracy Fines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, recently in the news some guy in Australia got fined US$1,300,000 for uploading a pirated version of 'Super Smash Brothers: Brawl'. Now, he uploaded the game a week ahead of its Australian release date and got caught by Nintendo who sued him and won.

The sum is 1.3 mil because supposedly that's the amount of potential games they could have sold. In my eyes it seems extreme to fine someone such insane amounts of money for a crime that is not horrible.

It seems however that a lot of people seem to think this fine to be more than justified and actually want more and harsher fines like this.

I made up a few key arguments as to why this is unjustified, feel free to rebuttal them or make your own:

1. This man will never be able to amass that much money. Most people make about a million dollars in a lifetime so essentially this punishment is slavery, or murder if he chooses to take his life. Both of these punishments are outlawed in civilized countries.

2. I understand that Nintendo lost potential customers, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that 90% of the people who downloaded this torrent won't buy the game. In order to play cracked games you need to chip your Wii for money and I'm assuming people who have already done that don't intend to buy in the first place.
Furthermore, a lot of people buy games after they pirate them in order to get online access or support the company. I personally know of 5 such occurrences in just the last two weeks.

3. A lot of people argue that Nintendo is just making an example and this is to deter pirates. However, I see more pirated titles more often with even earlier release dates. Also, by the same logic, would executing a person for smoking encourage the rest of the world to stop smoking? Fuck no! The only thing this is achieving is that companies are breeding smarter and better crackers who are harder to get caught and make more cracks faster and better.

4. Another argument is that these people are basically stealing from the employees and not just the company. That is true. But as I said, this guy definitely did not cost Nintendo 1.3 million dollars. Maybe 50,000 and you can fine him that, he'll learn a lesson and stop. More importantly though, the titles that are getting pirated and sued for are all major titles. I just can't feel sympathetic for Infinity Ward when they lose a bit of money after already making literally 1 billion dollars profit. SSBB was a major release too and probably made a LOT of profit, it's not like this guy was stealing from a game that's already struggling.

5. Much harsher crimes get off with a lot less than these fines. Rape, attempted murder, assault, grand theft get punished less than piracy. What kind of fucked up priorities are that?

6. "If someone stole 1.3 million dollars from you, you'd have them pay it back, right?" -I don't see it that way. First of all, these are 1.3 million THEORETICAL dollars we are talking about. Just like Nintendo assumes every person who downloaded the game was a customer lost I can assume that every one of those people wasn't going to buy the game.
Furthermore, I do believe that it matters from where you stole the money. Stealing 50,000 dollars from an orphanage and then having all the kids die of malnutrition is much worse in my eyes than stealing money from a corporation that already made several millions in profit (note: profit is earnings minus what you spent on paying employees etc).

Anyhow, those are just my opinions on why such hefty fines on piracy are not justified in any way. What do you think. Did the man deserve to be fined this sum or do you think he should be fined less or even more?

Level 13
Not really going to battle the argument, but what the guy did is wrong, nothing will justify his action.
he/she should be punished for it.

His fine is harsh and you are correct about that, perhaps you could check how many downloads were actually downloaded, and X that with the game price; or perhaps let him get a task punishment in amount of seconds for the amount of KB's downloaded caused of his upload ^^, seems fair say the game is 1GB and it has been downloaded 10.000 times, thats 10.240.000 thats around 2800 hours of punnishement, or something in that matter, I mean he should get something not too lightly for it either.

@Elenai: Thats bollux really, a woman once sued mc-donalds cause she spilled hot coffee from mc-donalds over herself and suffered burns from it.
She got like 3 million dollars for that, so that kinda proved you don't always win eventho you have millions or billions of dollars.

Level 13
That's a rather poor excuse for trying to make me look stupid cause I express my opinion, you are free to do so with yours, and I reply yours with constructive criticism, would be fair trading if you'd do the same.

I do understand the underlying thought of your expression, but on the other hand I find that those comments often come from people whom often criticize the government, laws and Jurisdiction.
There is allot of things you can win without without needing allot of money and winning them from people or companies whom do.
Surely I'd be in denial if I'd say that companies/rich people wouldn't win more than the not so rich ones, but I think you are exaggerating the whole thing a bit, cause you basically say, that rich people always win and poor people never do.
Perhaps you can look over your own statement again, literally interpret it and then see if your chuckle was really that necessary.

People kill, rape, and don't get harsh punishments such as these. BTW, I always hated Nintendo since I was a kid. (I was Sega's fan)

We must rise as one and destroy the gaming-industry.
I feel for the guy, sure. But just what are we going to do about it?

Let's retaliate the gamming industries! Lets start downloading lots of pirated nintendo games, so they can fall! No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Level 4
1. This man will never be able to amass that much money. Most people make about a million dollars in a lifetime so essentially this punishment is slavery, or murder if he chooses to take his life. Both of these punishments are outlawed in civilized countries.
I wouldn't go as far as telling what he did was an act of murder, or an involuntary slavery, just because a large sum of money is trying to sway a rope around his neck. Money has no value whatsoever. It's only based off a mutual agreement. You can freely make your own currency (would it be one of the precious metals, a simple copper alloy or now-usual paper money). Trading one ton of rice to, lets say, a few bills of this new-found trading currency (for example 3 paper pieces) looks more than ridiculous, especially when compared to a guy trying to exchange a couple of chicks into a fully-grown dairy cow.
Anyways, the topic's not about money, so my statement kind of falls bland.

5. Much harsher crimes get off with a lot less than these fines. Rape, attempted murder, assault, grand theft get punished less than piracy. What kind of fucked up priorities are that?
Priorities to serve the business first. Count it as a side effect of capitalism. Where funds play a higher role than human morale. Oh and post the link to the source next time (I'm looking at you also future-news posters!) as now it seems, from what you presented, that he was not sentenced to jail. So comparing jail sentencing to receiving cash fines seems kind of off-boat.

Oh and, as far as I'm in-known of the situation of lost profits... Software programmers (employees) do not get their paychecks cut just because a few imaginary numbers were lost in the cyberspace. For example, in shops personnel get their payment cut back, depending on the worth of the stolen goods. So there's a clear line in between two different "stealing" methods and how they affect employees. But maybe I'm simply short-handed. Go, dare to scold me. I deserve it! *slaps himself*

@Elenai: Thats bollux really, a woman once sued mc-donalds cause she spilled hot coffee from mc-donalds over herself and suffered burns from it.
She got like 3 million dollars for that, so that kinda proved you don't always win eventho you have millions or billions of dollars.

Please check your facts before spilling the beans... I'm not implying that 480,000$ was the "correct" and "factful" sum. You should really harness some information about the events and dismiss at times your own possible "claims" or small, pixelated overview of the situation obstructed by your own vantage point. Of course, only if you’re handling situations outside of your spectrum.

I chuckle at your naivety.
Good thing you're SO much more upperhanded than he is... Or maybe you meant it in plural?
Probably in plural afterall...

Level 34
(I think we should dump the tautologous roleplay-Elf and get a real educated person that studied/has experience in rights, but that's just my opinion.)

I don't recall it's possible for a US/Japanese)/non-European based corporation to sue an European based person. If not, then big yes for me. If possible, then the chance for me being spotted as a obvious Somalian* is near to nil.

Besides, one other reason -aside of money- is that people first like to try the game, since these free demo's they are handing out are too short to let you fully understand the game.

* Read: Pirate

Level 12
lol @ nintendo. They tried competing with the big boys by releasing the Wii. They could have atleast gave it a better name.

Older guy: Wanna come play with my wii?
Small child: Ok!

See the problem there.

Oh ya, sue me too. I downloaded a mario game for my GBA emulator. They could have made 1.3 mill for that too.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unfortunatly the laws of computer logic state that someone must upload inorder for you to be able to download in the first place...
Anyway, I strongly believe that you should pay for what you get. If you get nothing out of a game (1 hour then you have recycled it) then you should not have to pay. If you get like 1000 hours out of it (like a lot of people with WC3) then you should have paid for it (or pay for it if you have not).

As long as you buy the game, game companies will not care if you played for a few hours before the purchase (as long as you do not drag it out so long the game loses value in which case you are a criminal cheating game companies out of their money).

Level 9
I guess the punishment is a bit severe, would something like that occur in your own country? Hard to say really, Austrailia has its own way of doing things, its illegal to not vote in the country. The government provides a day off of work so people can go and vote. Ahem, but in any case, it is a fine too severe that I doubt such a person would ever be able to pay within his lifetime and will likely haunt him forever. I just wonder if Nintendo was thinking about their image at all when fining so much, it may have cost them more than what they'd get from the court case in terms of how people will view them in the future. I don't think they should just treat piracy of their products with a slap on the wrist, but certainly not go to the other extreme and just take the whole arm away, nevermind the freakin wrist. Anyway if you provide a source to this story, I won't say much more, if it turns out to be true my opinion of Nintendo will certainly be altered greatly, as I grew up playing their video games... perhaps to the point where I'd willingly pirate their games, and mind you I don't do that with any as of late, as my choice for games ranges in the few but good and therefore leaves me with enough cash to afford what I think will keep me entertained, WC3 being one of the best investments to date. In any case thats all I have to say.

Yeah right, but when politicians and managers with their clientelistic corrupt business along with not covered loans almost bring the whole economy to bankrupcy, making billions dollars damage while putting missing money in their pockets, nobody even thinks to punish them, they are even awarded.

And then they fine some guy who earns barely for living with millions, which this person wouldn't earn even a small part of a million in his whole life. And for what? Just by uploading some shitty game from a shitty jap company, who wouldn't no one even hear of it, if not for this guy.

Level 13
This guy got owned.

He stole, and should be punished. Sure, he didn't steal that much money, but Nintendo doesn't catch all pirates, so he has to pay for the rest of them too. It's more logical than giving him a tap on the head and sending him along, really.

Of course, this won't strike the pirate pricks without moral values, but who cares? The guy got what he deserved (and more).

Level 8
He shouldn't pay for everyone else, that's just like someone stealing from walmart and getting caught and then having to pay for everyone that had gotten away with stealing from walmart.
As for the case at hand, the punishment is too severe, though he shouldn't have let himself get caught.

Level 13
he shouldn't have let himself get caught.

He shouldn't have stolen like a worthless douchebag in the first place.

that's just like someone stealing from walmart and getting caught and then having to pay for everyone that had gotten away with stealing from walmart.

I think that's a good idea; it'd make stealing less attractive.

Last edited:
Level 9

So if you get pulled over and get a ticket for speeding/talking on a cell phone, should you pay for all the times everyone else got away with it? Everyone makes at least one stupid mistake in their life and gets caught for it, minor or severe, but that doesn't mean you have to shoulder all the blame for everyone else. Iyou say you're not one of those people, then either you're very young or very conceited. And besides by the logic of someone paying for someone elses crime wouldn't that mean that everyone else that mirrored such a crime gets a free pass? A broken system such as that would make a country barbaric and tyrannical, a place no one would enjoy living in.

Level 10
I think one of the most important things here is the scale of the punishment. He literally cannot repay that much money in a lifetime!
I mean, the guy has to be punished, though I don't see piracy as a horrible crime as most potential customers don't pirate in the first place and then those who do buy the game anyways.
A lot of people would have simply pirated the game because they didn't want to wait for release date a week later.

Level 4

Actually he didnt steal anything, he bought a legit copy then put that out on the internet for other people to steal, that's why he's in in so much trouble. If all he had done was download it, he probably wouldnt have been caught and would have went on pirating.

And no it wouldnt, people that want something bad enough but cant A) afford it, or B) cant find it will continue to steal, the only thing that would change is that stealing would become more elaborate. One thing I find funny about Anti-Piracy groups is the fact that they never like to talk about the Piracy Insurance that every film, game, and music company has... Millions of Dollars set aside to cover any loss they might have from piracy, so all those people that talk about how they lose money... are really actually lying. Nobody has had to have taken a paycut to cover losses due to piracy.

Perhaps it's time that pirates start acting like pirates, instead of just downloading the game they should attack the game store, kill the clerk(s), rape the women, steal the games, then burn the place down... ya know... then they could actually say that they lost something noticeable to pirating XP

Level 6
I love debate cause there is this little thing called cross examination where i get to ask my opponent questions. In this case i would ask...
Me: "If i stole 1.3 million dollars from you would you like it?"
You: "NO!"
Me: "So what your saying is you want people that make games for us to lose money ... let me remind you the youth of this age thrive on these games, thus if you take money away from them that means you will not get to play as many games because they will not have as much money to make games"
You: "OH SHIT I just got owned"

^^That is exactly what i would say, stealing is stealing it doesn't matter if its 1$ or 1.3$ I'm Sure that you don't want someone stealing your money, and nor does Nintendo.

also we have gotten into this debate about how this guy has to cover the costs of all the other pirates... I don't know where you got this from but have you ever thought that people downloaded 1.3Million dollars worth of SSBB, and he is simply just paying back the deficit that he caused?

Level 10
Me: "If i stole 1.3 million dollars from you would you like it?"

First of all, this is not stealing. Stealing is when you steal something from someone. This man bought the copy of SSBB and made no profit whatsoever of any of his actions. He paid for the product. He didn't steal a thing.

If you sold paintings and I bought one of your paintings and photocopied it and then gave copies to several people, I would not have committed a crime. It's only a crime if your work is copyrighted. And even then it's not theft, it's copyright infringement.

he is simply just paying back the deficit that he caused?

He didn't cause any provable deficit. Those guys at Wall Street caused billions of deficit, made profit and got away with it. I don't see you getting pissed at them. You cannot claim that a person caused you a deficit.

Saying that this person caused them a deficit is like suing your neighbors cause their shitty houses make the neighborhood look bad and degrade your property value. It's probably true, but you cannot prove it. The only way you could would be if you asked every person that downloaded the game whether they ever even considered buying the game and then charge him the price of the game for every person that said yes.

Level 6
fine let me reword it then...
"If i took your winning lotto ticket and made copies of it and gave it to people so you would make a shit ton less money would you like it?"
Your answer: "No" and if its anything besides that I'm wondering how crazy you are.

2nd... i loled at your response you make a claim that I'm not getting pissed at wallstreet... this thread is not about wallstreet so of course i didn't talk about it. (by the way i don't like wall street shit heads, nor do 303 million Americans)You said? "He didn't cause any provable deficit." bull shit I guess wall street didnt cause any provable deficit.
(on topic) Do you know how many people out there are like Dr. Super Good? I'm willing to bet no one would actually go out and buy the game when they can get it for free. I would say that maybe 5 people 5 PEOPLE MAX ... out of the thousands(assuming a good number of people dled it) who downloaded it would actually go out and spend money on a game that they already have, it just makes no scene as to why you would spend money when you could get it for free.

Level 10
Oh, i forgot to include a source, but here is just one I quickly googled up:
http://www.n4g.com/wii/News-474188.aspx
There are several more.

If i took your winning lotto ticket and made copies of it and gave it to people so you would make a shit ton less money would you like it?

A winning lottery ticket is equivalent to money. It's like a cheque. The money Nintendo lost however is THEORETICAL. They assumed that every person who downloaded the game would 100% have bought the game if no one had uploaded it. That's like charging me millions for the painting I mentioned in the example before because you assumed that every person who I handed a copy to would have otherwise paid for it, even though most people will take anything simply because it's free.

5 PEOPLE MAX ... out of the thousands(assuming a good number of people dled it) who downloaded it would actually go out and spend money on a game that they already have

I can literally disprove that. Well not for this game, but for a lot of others. Most of my friends actually pirate games before they buy them. Just with Modern Warfare 2 we had 8 people pirating the game (with working multiplayer) and 6 of them bought the game afterwards while the others stopped playing, cause they didn't like it too much.
None of these people would have bought the game without pirating it first. I have no proof for Wii games as all of my friends are male, straight and 18+ so no one owns a Wii, but I am assuming it would be similar.

Level 13
And no it wouldnt, people that want something bad enough but cant A) afford it, or B) cant find it will continue to steal, the only thing that would change is

Or C) is a worthless, egocentrical piece of shit who thinks his/her income is worth too much to spend on games.

Level 6
A winning lottery ticket is equivalent to money. It's like a cheque. The money Nintendo lost however is THEORETICAL. They assumed that every person who downloaded the game would 100% have bought the game if no one had uploaded it. That's like charging me millions for the painting I mentioned in the example before because you assumed that every person who I handed a copy to would have otherwise paid for it, even though most people will take anything simply because it's free.

pictures are much easier to upload... it would be literally impossible to regulate the pictures uploaded to the internet. It is much harder to upload a game to the internet. second no one cares for a picture printed out of a printer with ink, they are only worth big money when they are painted.
Now technically we have no real debate here because Hoernchen you think that this punishment was too harsh, but if this man agreed to pay 1.3million dollars he probably thought that was a good deal for what he had done IF HE AGREED TO IT!

P.S. are you from the U.S.A.? cause we are not friendly people, I do not think many Americans would spend money on something they can get for free, especially in this economy.

Level 10
Here are some more sources:
http://burn360.net/game-news/nintendo-sues-pirate-verdict-15-million-piracy-fail/
http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2852190
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...-super-mario-bros-wii-piracy-lawsuit-2010029/

No single other source says that the man agreed to it, so I am fair to assume that the first choice simply picked a bad way to word it. If by 'agreed to' they mean he had no other damn choice then to shut up and take his punishment. I didn't even know that you can't punish the defendant unless he agrees with the punishment?

PS: No I am not from the US. And yes, from what I've seen/heard you guys are not friendly people at all. Neither are most Australians, but you can find alright people.

Level 16
Damn faceless corporations, it seems pretty unrealistic to fine some one that much money for cracking the game a week ahead of its release cause come on who in the world other then the filthy rich would have that much money? I got a feeling he will never really be able to work up that much money to pay off the fine.

At least it is not as bad as the freaking music corporations fining teenagers for downloading some free song or so. If they like the bands music they are more likely to spend there money going out to buy a concert ticket.

Level 4
Or C) is a worthless, egocentrical piece of shit who thinks his/her income is worth too much to spend on games.

not a very friendly person are ya? XD pretty much every thread I've ever seen you post in since I've joined you're saying rude things. :p

Most likely the guy will file for bankruptcy, his credit will be destroyed and will never recover (short of getting a huge donation or winning a butt load of money)... but he'll end up only have to pay about 10% of that actual fine, still 130K, but a more realistic debt XP

Level 5
there are countless worse crimes than piracy and this is just completely malicious on nintendo's part to fine that man THAT much money. he'll obviously never recover; if you murder someone you might get 20-40 years if you're lucky, paying over 1 million dollars back over the span of your life can be worse for some and just absolutely ruin their life forever

Status
Not open for further replies.