• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Permanent (base) Armor Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I was playing some DotA recently, and wondering about DK's dragon-blood ability, where he permanently increases base armor

I know this could be re-created for a single by setting up a research item and its icons to just "appear" as if his base armor increased

But could a system be JASS-ed up to make one able to edit the base armor of any unit?

If there is already a system for it, please add the link

(Offtopic - If you know where a better version of SetUnitMaxState() is, a URL to that would be awesome too)

Level 37
The only way i know is in GUI, but its just add unit ability. Like wen a unit learns an ability(something like endurance aura that gives you buff an a icon) than you edit the tooltips/icons. And when this ability is learnd just give an (item ability, armor) to learning unit, and for more levels just set the level of (item armor ability) to level of that based ability. This is how i would do it, but it would look like (ingame) 5+4 <--- how would look if i add a item ability with 4 bonus armor

Level 12
Yeah that is the way I do not want to do it

I could always settle for the normal add ability and get the green item bonus, but I still want to know if there is a base armor changing system

Level 12
That is what I had suggested at the top of the thread

"Research Item" was referring to a single configured upgrade, but that would be a pain to do for every unit in the game (to make it generic)

Level 12
yes, we all know that its done with upgrades in dota, and he knows that, and that is not what he wants

he is asking if there is a way to make an upgrade work on individual units with JASS or a system that can add armor to a unit and not make the UI show +4 or how much he want the armor to be increased by

to my knowledge there is no such function in JASS, but my knowledge of JASS is somewhat average(counting those that actually know JASS)

Level 12
Now that I think about it I should probably PM PurplePoot, although hes not coming back from Spain for a while ><

Level 19
its not about jass
that system is based on adding +1 armor bonus to a unit many times
and since its an item ability you can add it multiple times
(it doesnt add +1 it adds like if you want +42 it adds 4 +10 and 2 +1 kinda)

Level 12
its not about jass
that system is based on adding +1 armor bonus to a unit many times
and since its an item ability you can add it multiple times
(it doesnt add +1 it adds like if you want +42 it adds 4 +10 and 2 +1 kinda)
not all item abilities if i remeber correctly :S

EDIT : Oh, wait, sorry, forgot you were talking about JASS, and that work in my experience :p

Level 19
umm I didnt call u nub I just said it as dummy
sorry for missunderstandings
like +lulcutebunniez

Level 12
Oh...
Wait, why didn't anyone else think of that ...
Ah, yes. Because the whole topic, from the start, is about modifying armor with no green +# appearing and doing it without upgrades.

Level 14
...Chaos abuse.

But really, the problems with that are MASSIVE. Insanely so. So much so that I wouldn't do it; the requirement to remove all buffs to do it safely (I do believe) would render effective usage in most cases impossible anyway.

Besides upgrades, you'll have to stick with the +green.

Level 12
...Chaos abuse.

But really, the problems with that are MASSIVE. Insanely so. So much so that I wouldn't do it; the requirement to remove all buffs to do it safely (I do believe) would render effective usage in most cases impossible anyway.

Besides upgrades, you'll have to stick with the +green.

Well, if I am using it solely as an armor increase, the buffs and such shouldn't be necessary

It wouldn't be a problem to rig it up with just a few abilities either, I'll just follow the binary system of adding abilities (each ability is either levels 0 or 1, if I make them all powers of two 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024...) I can make quite a large number of possibilities for armor increase / decrease

Thank you all kindly for the Spiked Carapace reminder :thumbs_up:

Level 14
Well, if I am using it solely as an armor increase, the buffs and such shouldn't be necessary

It is if you're messing with chaos, I think. Chaos is screwed up, hence why you can abuse it, but also why it's tricky to do so properly. But it's really not a good idea.

It wouldn't be a problem to rig it up with just a few abilities either, I'll just follow the binary system of adding abilities (each ability is either levels 0 or 1, if I make them all powers of two 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024...) I can make quite a large number of possibilities for armor increase / decrease

Thank you all kindly for the Spiked Carapace reminder :thumbs_up:

Bonus mod.

Level 7
If you know already how many upgrades you will need to have, it could be an idea to make several copies of the same unit just with different armor values, and each time you need to increase the armor then replace the older one with the new unit with upgraded armor

Level 12
Uhh
@Majin
For instance 10 units types with 20 levels of armor
Your way:
20*10 = 200 units and 0 upgrades
With upgrades:
10 units and 10 upgrades(with 20 levels)
Guess which one is less work.

Level 12
The reason why Herman didn't want upgrades, is because of the number of upgrades that would be required. And since what you suggested involved more work ;)

Level 12
Bonus mod.

Jerk-boy smartypants knows his sh*t :razz: :gg:

It is if you're messing with chaos, I think. Chaos is screwed up, hence why you can abuse it, but also why it's tricky to do so properly. But it's really not a good idea.

I don't see it, I think you mean chaos ignores armor, but if your using spiked carapace, the game automatically..........

Oh damn, I see, the buff works with the game internally, if you use a bonus-mod system, you cannot have 9 buffs on one unit

Well, maybe I could just warn not to use chaos? (After all, WE can avoid it)

Level 12
I don't see it, I think you mean chaos ignores armor, but if your using spiked carapace, the game automatically..........

Chaos damage does not ignore armor. It simply is not affected by armor type(default settings).

I think he was referring to the chaos ability.

Level 14
EF's implementation of BonusMod requires CnP and one line to change the armour, whenever you want. Enjoy.

Oh damn, I see, the buff works with the game internally, if you use a bonus-mod system, you cannot have 9 buffs on one unit

Well, maybe I could just warn not to use chaos? (After all, WE can avoid it)

...the Chaos ability. It can be abused to give permament bonuses without green +s. And negatives. But it can also give unwanted changes. BonusMod is a far easier, more reliable, more efficient solution, and Chaos has lots of problems for which the work arounds would have undesired side effects.

Level 7
The reason why Herman didn't want upgrades, is because of the number of upgrades that would be required. And since what you suggested involved more work ;)

what i meant is that maybe it could've given some hint to some more experienced player, even with my little experience i never thought that it could've been the final solution. Also, while we are at it, i was thinking about Glyph of Fortification, but it works just like upgrades so nvm

Level 7
I know a way. But u have to done it with an aura.. Use ''Devotion AURA''. Just untick everything in targets allowed and add only self(untick everything else just self) and it'll work youl see.. Only You will have the buff and the armor increasement. Try this i think it'll work

Level 12
EF's implementation of BonusMod requires CnP and one line to change the armour, whenever you want. Enjoy.

...the Chaos ability. It can be abused to give permament bonuses without green +s. And negatives. But it can also give unwanted changes. BonusMod is a far easier, more reliable, more efficient solution, and Chaos has lots of problems for which the work arounds would have undesired side effects.

Ohhh, gotcha

EF = EarthFury?

Ok, I think I will go look that up, except, how can it only be CnP? I thought bonusmod used abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.