• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to manipulate armor system further

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
There seems to be only 1 field to manipulate the armor system: "Armor damage reduction multiplier"

... but what if i want my armor system based in flat numbers?

what if i want my armor system to have custom values per point of armor like how i can make for xp per level?

what if i want my armor system to be based in a flat percent increase per point in armor? (1=5%, 2=10%, 3=15%, 4=20% ect)

is there an easy way to go about manipulating the armor system without using stoneskin ability from the stone giant? I would really like for this value to display under the armor icon and have the number or percent of reduced damage displayed as normal. Stone skin doesnt do that

While im here, im having trouble figuring out how to change the description for attack types. i have changed the attack types around a bit in gameplay constants, but in game the description for attack types displays normal wc3 information, which is now incorrect for what im doing. how do i change this display info?

thx :)

Level 4
I think you need a damage engine for that (Damage Engine 5.7.1.2).
Then simply trigger your wanted effects.

Check Advanced - Game Interface - for all weapon/armor type texts and more.
oof.. ok. i actually have the damage engine as im using it for other purposes. i should probably read up on it to see if i can get it to display in the armor field as thats a pretty important facet to me. Thx :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 is hard coded so that armor increases effective toughness linearly per point with regard to attack damage. With the default value of 0.06 (6%) this means that a unit gains 6% more effective toughness again attack damage per point in armor. A unit with 100 HP and 10 armor would be able to take 160 attack damage, or 60% (6% x 10) additional damage from attacks. In this regard there are no diminishing returns to armor. There is also a nominal minimum damage of 1 applied before type reductions so in theory there is a hard cap on armor based on the size of the damage taken past which it cannot reduce the damage any further.

Players of Diablo III will recognize this since it is exactly how the armor and resistance system works in Diablo III.

If you want any other behaviour you will have to resort to triggers. If using newer versions of Warcraft III such systems are fairly easy to implement thanks to the many new natives that were added to aid with manipulating or obtaining damage. Legacy versions of Warcraft III will have a significantly more difficult time implementing such systems.

Level 11
The armor system isn't linear in Warcraft III. From the Classic Battle.net page on armor:
Damage Reduction or Increases for Armor
For positive Armor, damage reduction =((armor)*0.06)/(1+0.06*(armor))
For negative Armor, it is damage increase = 2-0.94^(-armor) since you take more damage for negative armor scores.

In the Gameplay Constants, we have the ability to configure "Combat - Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier", which is the "0.06" in the equations above, but that's the only control we have over the armor system. As suggested above, it's easiest to use a damage system to modify the behavior of armor beyond this.

Level 4
WC3 is hard coded so that armor increases effective toughness linearly per point with regard to attack damage. With the default value of 0.06 (6%) this means that a unit gains 6% more effective toughness again attack damage per point in armor. A unit with 100 HP and 10 armor would be able to take 160 attack damage, or 60% (6% x 10) additional damage from attacks. In this regard there are no diminishing returns to armor. There is also a nominal minimum damage of 1 applied before type reductions so in theory there is a hard cap on armor based on the size of the damage taken past which it cannot reduce the damage any further.

Players of Diablo III will recognize this since it is exactly how the armor and resistance system works in Diablo III.

If you want any other behaviour you will have to resort to triggers. If using newer versions of Warcraft III such systems are fairly easy to implement thanks to the many new natives that were added to aid with manipulating or obtaining damage. Legacy versions of Warcraft III will have a significantly more difficult time implementing such systems.
cool. thx

Level 4
The armor system isn't linear in Warcraft III. From the Classic Battle.net page on armor:

In the Gameplay Constants, we have the ability to configure "Combat - Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier", which is the "0.06" in the equations above, but that's the only control we have over the armor system. As suggested above, it's easiest to use a damage system to modify the behavior of armor beyond this.
thx for link. will check out

Level 4
Only for positive armor. Although it would appear that it would also work for the negative armor it does not with the implicit (1-0.06) involved there being hard coded and unable to be modified. Or so people have reported...
so i have most definitely used this damage engine for "negative armor" as i nneded an amplify damage spell for my mini game im making... im positive i can use it for normal armor too, its just idk how to get it to display in the armor field where i would want it to

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
so i have most definitely used this damage engine for "negative armor" as i nneded an amplify damage spell for my mini game im making... im positive i can use it for normal armor too, its just idk how to get it to display in the armor field where i would want it to
That comment was in response to the standard WC3 armor mechanics.

With triggers you can make armor act however you want. If you want to change the UI to match your new mechanics then you will need to look at how UI modifications work in Warcraft III. The recent patches added a lot of functionality with respect to modifying the UI so it might be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.