• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pathing wierdness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its due to how SC2 uses pathing helpers to optimize searches rather than actually brute forcing the shortest route.

The advantage is that unlike WC3 which did attempt to brute force a shortest solution (the algerthim though was optimized so the results were not always the best) but perodically per player per moving unit so that units often exibited lagged movement, SC2 allows fluid movement near instantly of any number of units. The disadvantage is that complex terrain or terrain that flaws the helper algerthim result in strange movement patterns. Additionally units that do not use the right pathing helper system for their movement type exibit illogical and annoying routes.

Such illogical routes I have incountered are... well your one. The burrowed unit thinks it is a land unit and so exibits the usual avoid land unpathable movement helper routes but actually is not land and can just walk straight.

Additionally someone who placed air blockers around islands with boats as air units saw the boats trying to head straight for the desternation and acted as if the blockers were not present at all (but instead they just stuck there cause it is unpathabe).

I advise checking under unit and under movers for any field that interfears with what sort of pathing movement is used.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Movement piority generally is about the same for all units with a few exceptions.

For example marines will block in ultralisks and thors can not walk through an army of marines well. It is to stop you just running through a mob of units if surrounded.

You can however alter the units piority in the data editor under the unit's data object. For example the trains in the campaign would just bulldoze unslowed through whole armies. I also made a mobile crane which could just push straight through an army of zerglings like there was nothing there.

I think the mass field also has something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.