• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Air pathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I wanted my air units to go around buildings, so i set collide structures. This works but air units dont know how to go around the buildings. They seems to only beable to go in a derect path from point A to B. Any one know a way to get air units to act more like ground units when it comes to pathing?

Also if a air unit runs into a building when the building is in space(lowests cliff hight on a space map) it gets stuck on troop of the building.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is because SC2 uses a pathing mesh to get routes rather than computing based on terrain geometry. Unlike land, air probably lacks some functionality so does not work as well as ground.

Unfortunatly my editor is asking me to validate it now so I can not look up stuff until Tuesday next week. However I do suggest trying to use land units instead.

Level 5
well i did make my air units into ground units but while in space i still had this same problem.

Also if a air unit runs into a building when the building is in space(lowests cliff hight on a space map) it gets stuck on troop of the building.

with groung units, its more like stuck inside the building

Level 5
The problem is air can pass over any type of pathing (even No Pathing) so because I need to block air I have to use air no-fly zones, which arent computed in pathing, resulting in idiotic ships trying to sail through Turkey.

I could use land units with a bit of tinkering, but that wouldn't quite work as well, they would be limited to little distance offshore.

Level 5
Technicalities here, on the scale I'm talking about the distance they would be limited would be negligible, also for terms of gameplay the closer ships can get to the shore the better as they are vulnerable to some of shortish ranged land units. Also, this problem is exacerbated when larger ships are around as bumps and dents on the coastline mean they can hardly get to the shore at all.

But I probably will change them to ground units just for the sake of pathing, I suppose i can lose shore hugging ships for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.