• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Pathing Map Tutorial

I noticed there is no tutorial about Pathing Maps so I decided to make one.It is quite easy and it is very simple.

What are pathing maps? Those are areas that can be either walkable or not.
They prevent you from going through the building or closed gate.They are only required for static units and they are usually not walkable.

The pathing map looks like this:
View attachment 51678 View attachment 51679 View attachment 51680 View attachment 51681

The blue means walkable,purple means non ground walkable,while white means non air flyable.This is what pathing blockers are made of.
Here is an example:
View attachment 51682
Of course you can edit these maps and make your owns this would be cool for the modelers to make when they are making new buildings so they can make pathing map as well.You can see pathing by pressing P while in world editor.

Tools that you are going to need are

-Magos model editor:War3 Model Editor - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
-Paint,or some other picture editing material.

First you open the paint then draw the desired shape shape of the map,then paint with normal blue walkable paths,with purple ground unwalkabe paths and with white air unwalkabe paths.
Example:
View attachment 51683
Then you resize it to 12x12(you can use any size you want but this is universal) and then save this image as tga.And import it on the map.The file path is:(PathTextures\...)

In world editor it should look like this:
View attachment 51685

I hope that you understood this tutorial and good luck.:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Um, I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere where it showed what all of the different pathing map colors mean. Red, teal, yellow, green, etc. Those all mean something too.

Also you should make a step-by-step guide of how to make a pathing map. You should be working in the small size, not starting large and then resizing, as you can see how the pathing map messes up ingame.

Level 24
Needs better formatting such as a title and headers/sub-headers, use the

and

tags for these. Other than that, this tutorial seems a tad bit too simple for approval, in it's current state, at least. It isn't really easy for the reader to follow this if he/she has no previous knowledge about this stuff, needs to be more detailed, I'd say.