• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I never downloaded a patch, I need to know what is a patch? What is it for? How can I play Warcraft 3 Online? Why can't the maps I download don't work?

Some guy told me that 98% of people have patches, that makes me a retard.

I won't download the patch until you say what does it do? Why would I need one? For what?

I got to say that I have no bugs or anything, my warcraft never crashed (I play warcraft for 5 years). Should I need one? Is it for only people who have problems or those who want to upgrade something?

If I upload a map will it work because I have no patch and why do downloaded maps from Hive don't work?

Example I downloaded and when click it in warcraft it dissapears.

I have downloaded the patch sucessfully. Works

Last edited:
Level 13
type in google.ca warcraft 3 Patch notes
you should see a blizzard site go to it and download the patch from there to get to 124.4 I think its the newest but IDK

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Think of a patch like this.

A patch is like a patch you sew (or glue) onto your trousers when they develop holes (if you are some old guy who can not afford new ones that is lol).

Basically, proper software development is an expensive and time consuming process. Due to the complexity of games it can easilly result in mistakes. Inorder to make perfect software, a near infinite ammount of money must be pumped into its development which is impracticle seeing as how it is being created by profit driven companies. As such they will spend a sizable ammount fixing faults before realase but many factors may have been overlooked so the game gets released with faults. Additionally rushed games may only be half finished, in which case some of the nearly finished content only is completed after the game is released.

Inorder to get around these two problems. In the process of software maintence, developers create "patches" which basically patch (fix) bugs in the code or add new stuff to the code which was not finished.

Patches also may fix design flaws, which are not really bugs but usibility problems. This is usually considered adding content cause of the design itteration needed.

The end result is that in almost all cases, a game + patches is better than the standard game. Many crashes may be fixed and even new stuff added.

WC3 is a good example of this, where new natives were added that all new maps use (so old WC3 can not play them). Thus patching is always advisable.

To patch WC3, try and connect to battlenet with a valid CDKey (which you should have). If you are sharing a CDKey with a family or friend, connect to a different realm. If your CDKey is inuse, then complain to blizzard cause all copies of the game should be sold with a unique CDKey and you are entitled to a free new one if someone has stolen your key (new purchases only, not second hand).

If for some reason you can not connect to battlenet (restrictive government, OS bug, restrictive internet service) then you can download all patches from blizzard's technical support site.

Have fun playing WC3.

Level 22
All this is completely needless DSG. War3 is so old that you can probably find lists of valid keys. In fact Blizzard dont care about this game anymore, so saying he needs one unique key, to have purchased, etc sounds ludicrous in the year 2011 esp when there is no reason to want to use bnet... it's not a deal anymore. Who uses this bs bnet?

Garena is 10000 times better, if someone plays dota or any non melee there you have 10+ channels full of 225 people each, better connection as it simulates LAN, some are for any RPG i.e non melee. This also brings to the point - lol @ someone advertising some random private server, private server o rly? Do these still exist? Garena is what all use nowadays. Bnet has gone to empty inactive and dumb. Just spam the name of your map in the chat room to join and there will be people to join.

Also the download and doubleclick as I said it is faster than the wait to patch from In Game. Have tested it.

Level 19
All this is completely needless DSG. War3 is so old that you can probably find lists of valid keys. In fact Blizzard dont care about this game anymore, so saying he needs one unique key, to have purchased, etc sounds ludicrous in the year 2011 esp when there is no reason to want to use bnet... it's not a deal anymore. Who uses this bs bnet?

Garena is 10000 times better, if someone plays dota or any non melee there you have 10+ channels full of 225 people each, better connection as it simulates LAN, some are for any RPG i.e non melee. This also brings to the point - lol @ someone advertising some random private server, private server o rly? Do these still exist? Garena is what all use nowadays. Bnet has gone to empty inactive and dumb. Just spam the name of your map in the chat room to join and there will be people to join.

Also the download and doubleclick as I said it is faster than the wait to patch from In Game. Have tested it.

Not exactly though, Blizzard in fact does still care about the game as they mentioned in the note and they plan to upgrade Battle.Net to ensure that even with Garena (Right as I speak right now, there's a 100k population count in Battle.Net), they can get more players. Now, as for the patch thing, the version switcher would be useful too.

We still shouldn't be promoting piracy here though.

Level 17
Patches are to add more definition to the game's quality and improve the elements of fun when you play online.
But if you are referring to smoking patches, this isn't the best place to ask.

Level 22
We still shouldn't be promoting piracy here though.

Yes, sorry if it sounded Im promoting it.

So OP, you must buy it, Blizzard sues people nowadays and they can find your location. /;-)/. Then probably choose Garena when you see bnet first.

Not exactly though, Blizzard in fact does still care about the game as they mentioned in the note and they plan to upgrade Battle.Net to ensure that even with Garena (Right as I speak right now, there's a 100k population count in Battle.Net), they can get more players. Now, as for the patch thing, the version switcher would be useful too.

I love your optimism but I don't know what blue post you mean, nothing points out to anything other than war3's wiping the dust. Anyway bb

Last edited:
Level 21
Well its just up to you, if you want a updated Warcraft III to play custom campaigns, be up to date with stuff, and the patches help out with the errors and glitches that people found out in the game.

Level 22
A PTR patch came out today. :D

Hahahah balance changes after 3-4 years of nothing. I know there are still people playing war3 but I dont think they will getr back to the game. So many quit it.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27797299539&postId=277946980235&sid=3000#0

Guard tower nerf. Wolf riders will do extra to them. So this is to nerf TRush. But elf is gg
Siege Tank nerf as lvl 3 from 2 means more exp when killed.
Rifleman increased nice! Was needed vs dryads.

My good old Human has been buffed even more.

Warden Shadow strike not as much of a prob asthe fact that in late game Warden lvl 6 = gg human, and undead. But NE was getting terribly imba lately. They even decreased Venom duration wow.

Faerie fire duration would not affect NE vs Orc as they keep the mana for cyclones. Well a little in minus for elf, since BM could have it.

Windwalk duration reduced :D :D
Ensnare cooldown GG :D

Some very small nerf in ivory tower, makes no diff. They could've kept Tome of EXP the same exp gain, but umm now there wont be fast lvl 2 elemental in Hu v Hu on TM.

Ehh replays, I had some vs good players, guess I will still keep them as Version switchers exist. Well whoever made the patch loves Human :D Too bad Im done with this game.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I love all the hate about human gaurd tower fortified armor....(sarcasim) Yes it means early units suck (cause fortified take massive reduced damage against most early attack types available) but they are also more vulndrable late game (now siege and chaos totally destroy them).

Level 22
But im not hating it, I love it! I am/was/am (do I still play war3?) Human player and vs orc it didnt matter if the tower has fortified defence or not - demos or wolf riders were able to destroy them either way fast. The thing is they are too scared to come in battle of casters and towers so they leave the towers untouched. Otherwise they could be focused and killed even if not fortified.

Vs Undead is perfect - oh yeah. Human fast expands and undead comes to cancel the towers or even destroy them. We know that the patch that nerfed repair rate on towers does repairing a tower under the focus of DK+ Crypt fiends - impossible. Now UD will have a hard time owning expand towers.

Not to say elf - decides to mass hunts or dryads - with increased Rifleman life and harder to damage towers <3 <3 <3

Status
Not open for further replies.