• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

Level 2
@Razorclaw_X i download 1.31.1 from here and then i try to install it, but because its been years since the last time i install it and i'm also noob @how to install stuff when i open WE it had reforged graphics.
so i might have click on something that install them

Last edited:
Level 20
@anduin lothar

There's a detailed instruction how to install in the first post, including tips on how to avoid the game being updated to Reforged (check the update/additional tips section towards the end of that post). You should find everything you need there - if you don't understand a step and/or have any extra questions, feel free to ask.

Regardless, since 1.31 doesn't contain any Reforged files, including the new models, it's literally impossible to experience the issue you described without updating to 1.32+. This means that either you messed up with the installation somewhere and you allowed the game to update or you have a separate Reforged installation.

The best tip I can give you right now is - just check how big your W3 folder is. I can bet it's going to be a lot bigger than 2-3 GBs, which means that you updated to 1.32. In this case, you have to uninstall the game, remove all game files and registry keys, and do a fresh install of 1.31 following the instruction above and some additional tips below to make sure that the game doesn't update.

To prevent updating:

- turn on the Battle.Net app and turn off automatic updates before installing 1.31 (details on how to do that are in the original post), this should work, but there's a chance that something will bug out and the app might start the update - just to be sure, the first time you launch Battle.Net app after installing 1.31, instantly click on W3 on the list of games and if you see that it's updating, immidiately pause the update and keep it that way
- launch the game using the .exe file listed in the instruction
- don't try logging in to battle.net from inside the game
- if prompted that an update is available - click "no"

Level 20
For the record, you should put campaigns in C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns not in the main Warcraft III directory.

Other than that, happy to hear that it works. Have fun! :)

Level 2
Thanks MasterBlaster for sharing. a quick and effective method is to use the system's firewall to Prevent programs("Warcraft III Launcher" and "Warcraft III") from accessing the Internet(not Intranet). this will not affect the games on LAN.

Level 6
How much should I download. Im allowed to download 1gb only :(
Google Drive wont show the size of the file.

Edit: Nevermind. since this Reforged f---cked up everything, I lost my motivation to play WC3.

Last edited:
Level 20
Welp, it seems that the main download has been hit with a DMCA strike and blocked by Google.

I've already updated the OP and I'll reupload a bit later, possibly along with a mirror - if anyone knows a good site for that, I'd really appreciate a tip.

For now, the alternative download links (8x250 MB parts) appear to be working, so if anyone wants to download and can't be asked to wait, feel free to use that.

P.S. Thanks to @jonathan ross for reporting the issue.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I've already updated the OP and I'll reupload a bit later, possibly along with a mirror - if anyone knows a good site for that, I'd really appreciate a tip.

For now, the alternative download links (8x250 MB parts) appear to be working, so if anyone wants to download and can't be asked to wait, feel free to use that.
Dropbox and stuff like this, any cloud storage site.
Feel free to add this link too: 1.94 GB file on MEGA
You're doing things the wrong way, guys...
:slp:

Welp, it seems that the main download has been hit with a DMCA strike and blocked by Google. [...]
The question here is: why.

Level 20
You're doing things the wrong way, guys...
No offence, but you know what - you're being annoying with this cryptic routine you adopted recently.

If you want to help and provide some tips, how about you actually do it instead of posting some weird riddles or whatever? It will save us all a lot of time.

---

Also @jonathan ross - I've checked the parts and they're working just fine, but... it might be a wild guess, but try unpacking the files in the same directory you downloaded them to and if it works, move the folder to Program Files manually.

Last edited:
Level 20
Maybe, you reported it?
My guess is that I've originally named the file "Warcraft III.zip", so maybe the company that striked my upload has some way of scanning uploads and looking for ones that match known game names, in which case it automatically reports it. Thus, I've thought about giving the file a less obvious name and I wanted to start the upload now, but then @pyf came in with his riddles and so I'm waiting until he decides to tell us what he meant, so that I don't upload it the wrong way again.

@jonathan ross Check my post above. Some Windows versions treat Program Files as a protected folder and might block unpacking software from accessing it. This may be why you're getting errors. Move the parts to desktop or some other directory and try unpacking it there. If it works, move the folder to Program Files manually.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Maybe, you reported it?
No, because in all honesty I would not have limited myself to that.

Welp, it seems that the main download has been hit with a DMCA strike and blocked by Google. [...]
No offence, but you know what - you're being annoying with this cryptic routine you adopted recently.

If you want to help and provide some tips, how about you actually do it instead of posting some weird riddles or whatever? It will save us all a lot of time.
My guess is that I've originally named the file "Warcraft III.zip", so maybe the company that striked my upload has some way of scanning uploads and looking for ones that match known game names, in which case it automatically reports it. Thus, I've thought about giving the file a less obvious name and I wanted to start the upload now, but then @pyf came in with his riddles and so I'm waiting until he decides to tell us what he meant, so that I don't upload it the wrong way again.
Probably just "I told you so". He's firmly against sharing these files and thinks it's unequivocally illegal.
The question which could have preceded "why" is: what is a DMCA strike.

Level 4

@jonathan ross Check my post above. Some Windows versions treat Program Files as a protected folder and might block unpacking software from accessing it. This may be why you're getting errors. Move the parts to desktop or some other directory and try unpacking it there. If it works, move the folder to Program Files manually.
seem to have it working so far thanks

Level 4
So everything worked perfectly for me except one thing. namely the flat terrain shows up black in world editor. cliffs and everything shows up except flat terrain.
upload_2020-9-9_5-1-1.png

Level 2
Everytime I try to open the World Editor it crashes on startup, anyone have any solutions?

Level 10
You need to do registry stuff for it. For some reason Reforged does some stuff to the "Tool Windows" key that doesn't play well with previous versions which ends up with that crash.
Proper path of it is at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit' Deleting the 'Tool Windows' should be enough but i'm not sure, i usually just delete the whole WorldEdit key.

Level 2
You need to do registry stuff for it. For some reason Reforged does some stuff to the "Tool Windows" key that doesn't play well with previous versions which ends up with that crash.
Proper path of it is at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit' Deleting the 'Tool Windows' should be enough but i'm not sure, i usually just delete the whole WorldEdit key.
It worked! Thank you very much.

Level 1
I downloaded it and it worked the first time i used it - however now every time i use it it crashes on startup, is there a fix to this? I haven't deleted any of the reforged files so that could be the issue i guess i am just living in hope it will be sorted soon so i can play custom campaigns

Level 20
dropbox has 404 error
Yeah, I've looked into that and the link was suspended, because it... generated too much traffic :D

I'll try to sort this out by the end of the week.

@Chris_MD try deleting the registry keys:

- I've also chosen to remove all Warcraft III related registry keys. It's better to do this as the game will re-create all needed keys anyway and having leftover/shared keys with other versions might cause problems, but it's up to you whether you want to do it or not. If you do, here's how:

- Press Windows Key + R, type in "regedit" (without quotes) and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, nagivate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment.
- The folders I removed were called "Classic Launcher", "Warcraft III" and "WorldEdit".

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] For some reason Reforged does some stuff to the "Tool Windows" key that doesn't play well with previous versions which ends up with that crash. [...]
@Whitewolf8: Blizzard is only supporting the latest official installed release (1.32.8 as of this writing), along with any current PTR (1.32.9 as of this writing) afaik. Any other setup of whatever combination of any previous versions is a FrankenInstall, that might lead to unexpected results.

dropbox has 404 error
:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 1
Thanks bro I was looking for portable version and got this thread , now I can play curse of the forsaken very well , just extracted and put the cd key , only roc key was needed and the game launched ... helpful post !!!

Level 4
Reactions: pyf