• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Passive with cooldown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Ok, i've encountered a problem again. When playing DotA i was impressed by the Nerubian Weaver and his Geminative attack again.
For those who don't know, it is a passive that allows him to attack twice every few seconds, and when the effect is used a cooldown appears to show how much time there is before the next double attack, just like an active spell or Reincarnation.

Now i wanted to make a skill like that(cooldown, not effect). The spell was supposed to trigger when attacked, and give the hero a shield. I first thought of berserk as dummy ability, and giving it a requirement for a special dummy unit. When the hero was attacked, i would simply add a unit, order the hero to use berserk, and remove the unit. This made the skill look ugly though as the icon became active for 0.10 every time someone attacks.

Should i import the disabled button and use as a normal button so that it wont be noticed(haven't tried that), or is there a better way?

Level 12
the way it works in DotA is that its an Orb, which will cast any Target spell on the unit you are attacking(you can set it to have an %chance to proc, but anyway) if its supposed to add a shield to the attacker, you should use triggers

now, is this going to happend Every time someone attacks or should it be a %chance, and you want it to show cooldown aswell?

Level 12
Yes - an orb based skill with some cooldown seems to be the case in Dota.
But I wonder if ...
Oh, I will experiment these days, and will say if I find anything interesting.

Level 12
I will be experimenting will cooldown groups on passives - have a passive and an active to be in the same cd group.
Activate the active.
I hope this will start the cd of the passive :D

Level 12
well, here is what i know atleast

if you have Dodge on 1 item and Spell Shield on another, whenever the unit dodges(or is hit, cant remember) the Spell Shield item will for some reason get a 1 sec cooldown(im not sure its really a cooldown, it just shows that) :p

EDIT : Oh wait, that might have to do with the fact that they are in spellbooks in my map, but im not sure that will make any difference :p

Status
Not open for further replies.