• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORPG questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
hi, i just started a OPRG a few days ago and i wanna ask some questions this means if you wanna help me i will edit this threat and ask more questions but i am not gonna spam threats

question 1:how to make stats like resictance,cd reduction,magicpower....

question 2:how to make good tooltips?

question 3:whats the doodad limit again?

question 4:how to make a level requirement on an item

question 5:how to make a multiboard with your stats on

question 6:item drop system actually the same like 4 but i know its easy to find but i did not find one that was working with all armor types

also i am looking to these qestions too so i do not only wait for you guys to answer so if the question is solved i will sign it

Last edited:
Level 24
keep variables for each unit type, individual unit, item, ability, buff, etc, etc, etc.
Make a method that calculates the total values for a given unit calling an event on which items, buffs, abilities run to adjust the values to give the desired stats... after that, you still have to put those stats to use.

Dont use CAPS.
Use [enter]s.
Use colored text for !!!ONLY!!! the really important parts.
Dont try to tell a story in one.

Use JNGP.

Trigger the effect and put a boolean expression (condition, if statement, etc) to check if the unit has the required level.
(Triggering is the key to control of behavior.)

Create a multiboard, fill it with some nice texts, put the numbers from the variables (#1) of a given unit (you decide how that given unit is defined), and update it when necessary.

item drop system with armor types?

Level 4
Q1 - Array variables for players, I guess each player will only have 1 heroes?
MagicResistance[1] = x // For player 1
MagicResistance[2] = x // For player 2
Repeat for each stats.
Be aware that (for Magic Resistance atleast) you will need some damage system or trigger every damage to actually make use of that statistic.

Q2 - Short and precise. Coming for a MMORPG player and MOBA player, we want numbers.

Don't:
'Deal damages to all enemies hit in line.'

Do:
'Deal 150 damages to all enemies hit in line. Cooldown : 3 seconds.'
You can also add range, travel speed, aoe size... Anything you can add.
You also need to polish your tooltips, make them all look the same. Effect comes first, cooldown, and then AOE if there is.

Q3 - Dunno, 8192 if I'm right.

Q4 - Simple solution would be to set a level to the Item (Stats - Level) and check upon acquiring an item if hero's level is greater or equal to item level.

Q5 - Stats are just variables. Use Q1 and repeat for each stats. Add icons, it makes multiboard eye-candy.

Q6 - wut ?

What I'm about to say should not be taken as offensive, but I think you should be aware of a few things; an ORPG requires a lot of time to be decent. There's a reason there is only a few good ORPGs, they are probably the most difficult maps to create.
If you're asking those questions, I'm afraid you'll have trouble into creating your ORPG, however, such a big project is the best way to learn.

Level 5
Just browse tutorials.
Basic Triggering
All About Multiboards
Making an Open Rpg
Item-drop-system
Tooltip Tutorial
You have to learn triggering or jass, based on your questions you're a beginner. I also started with RPG map and simmilar knowlage. Not the best map to start your journey with map-making if you want to publish it soon, but great way to learn, as it uses all types of systems.

Doodad limit can be turned off by Jass New Gen WE, or WE Unlimited and/or simmilar software. I can't really think of an RPG map that doesn't surpass the limit.

And I don't understand last question. I'm using armor types(light,medium,heavy) in my map, but it's all arranged in custom inventory so it's a little bit diffrent. If that's what you mean by armor types I can help.

Level 10
hey i have new questions:

1.importing triggerhappy's MMO system(pls help i do not need a login but i do need 2 factions with all one computer player and i have a game launcher already but i cant upload him pls help question 3)

2.importing a better save/load(optional but still i need a file where poeple can see the code for they char)

3.need a game launcher that i can open because i can only open it via visual basic so far it only launches War3

Level 4
1) If I'm right, TriggerHappy's MMO System is still in dev. you should not try to make a map around this *yet* (Main raison is obviously 'still in dev.' the other one being you seem a bit new to World editing)
2) Look around tutorials, it's about the preload function.
3) No idea

Level 5
If you don't have much knowlage - don't import other people systems if said systems are very advanced.

I don't really understand, what do you mean by random events or quests to buy?
You can create some dummy items and then add them randomly to your "shop" via triggers, each item will cause quest to start when picked up.

Last edited:
Level 4
No offense my friend, but it's not because you need it that you know how to use it. Those systems, as MooNek said, are advanced. Regarding the questions you've previously asked, trying to use those systems will result in asking more and more questions that we might not be able to answer. However, if you really WANT those systems, you might have to experience by yourself, because I'm afraid none of us really tried to them.

Edit: Concerning your random events or quests, you first need to create all your quests and event, and find a way to give them to players (shop, abilities, time based..)

Last thing, you might have to code your own systems sometimes, you won't find systems for everything you want...

Level 10
but the MMO system its not easy to code!why cant i never get a system i have never imported a system properly i mean a good system
i am a good(...) terrainer thats all

i quess it wont take long until i quit

Last edited:
Level 5
Don't quit just because you can't import a system. As good terrainer you don't need to have trigger/jass knowlage, that's why it can be hard for you. Either start learning, I bet your terrains were not perfect from the start, so you'll have to learn coding just like you had to learn about terrains. If you don't feel like learning coding, you have to team up with somebody who knows triggers/jass and is willing to code your map. Importing systems in WC3 isn't just copy and paste - done, there is a lot of congiguration especially if you want them to suit your map. You can ask questions, as you see there are a lot of people here who are willing to answer them, but most of your questions are pretty basic, that's why we really encourage you to start learning from the basics instead of going straight to advanced stuff. ORPG is the hardest map type in my opinion, beacuse it incorporates elements from every other map genre.

In conclusion: Find someone with trigger/jass knowlage to code your map or start learning coding from the basics.

Cheers, and don't take too much offence in what we say :)

Level 11
MMO system is out of war3 capability, that requires you to have knowledge in coding, as well as decent experience in software developing skill. For now you could try to stick with current war3 system.

ORPG is known to be the map type that takes the longest time to make, so patient is definitely needed in order to develop a playable ORPG map.

For ORPG Systems, they are definitely advance, so they would definitely takes longest time to complete them at early-developing stage. But once you completed them, unless you are going to modify (add more functions, remove functions, or improve efficiency), you basically don't need to touch them anymore.

For mid-developing ORPG stage, what you need to do is basically coding spells only, rest are terraning, object editors stuff. That time, the development can be a real fast progress, and soon you will reach its late-developing/beta stage. So just be patient on working with it, the day will comes :)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
@sluk
I was trying to post this to your VM but max length reached. And sorry for late response.

I see you are very curious about these matters. I hope this will give you some sort of starting point.

I use VB.net in Visual Studio to make it. You can use c# too. Basically, you need to learn some cmd commands and learn how it works e.g. command to open other programs. Then you need the launcher app to execute that command when start/play button is pressed. To open the map directly from launcher you can use "start war3.exe -loadfile path\to\your_map.w3x". But frankly, such simple launcher program is completely unnecessary.

Making MMO is on completely different level. My map is not MMO neither. First, you need a server computer with good internet connection and have to stay up /all the time/, you can probably rent one server provider (whatever they call it) tho but you have to pay. Then you need Sharpcraft and create a networking plugin to allow your map communicate with your server. TriggerHappy must already have it somewhere in his program folder, you can probably use it. Then the server's task is to receive data sent from clients and transmit it to other clients in corresponding map area. I might be wrong on some parts here.

If that sounds so much, in reality, it's a lot more complicated.

Now I just read your conversations here. You must have a good coding fundamental to do it. And I believe TriggerHappy isn't making a system for public use, he's making it for his own game. Frankly, there is no way you can fully import the system to work with your map.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
You can just send me a screenshot tho.

No, you have to move to your warcraft directory first. So the commands look like:
D:
cd Warcraft III
start war3.exe -loadfile "path\to\map.w3x"

(my Warcraft is installed in disk D)

Anyway, I will repeat, a simple launcher program is completely unnecessary, people will less likely interested to play your map. And I don't have the time to guide you per step.

so basicly i know now that my map is offically gargbage
Why do you conclude so? Don't be too pessimistic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.