• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORPG Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey there guys! Just wated to say that, this is my first post, but I've been visiting this site for around a year now, and it's looking good.

Now to the topic, I've been playing around with WE for about 3 years now, and I think I should actually make something worth playing. The only really thing that comes to mind is an ORPG (I was going to try and RPG but to be honest, the storyline was cliche), but with an ORPG, you can do anything you want, and that to me, gives me more freedom. Side question, ORPG stands for Open Role Playing Game or Online Role Playing Game in context with Warcraft 3 maps?

Onto the map, I've been practicing terraining for a bit now (as this was my major problem before), and I think I can do it all now (My terraining is making every thing water, and using raise/lower to get things right, and it working better then the old style). Triggering and Object Creating is all easy, I will have no trouble with that.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on, what would you want in an ORPG, that you would want to reply again and again? The only things that come to my mind are professions, such as fishing and mining. I don't know yet how I would implement them, but this might break away from the traditional (O)RPG games where it's almost all hack-and-slash.

So, what say you?

Level 13
1 thing is giving players choices. Cause really if your stuck doing the same thing over and over it gets boring quick
heres a quick idea for professions, if its up to the players on which one(s) they get
if you allow them to have more than 1 profession, make it so some work better together than others. maybe even put in so that if a player picks fishing and cooking they can cook some fish that other cooks can't cook.
Only handing you ideas

Level 5
*lottery system = addiction = waste their money = they earn it back = again and again
*jobs like fishing and mining for fun stuff (good time waster)
*awesome spells (maybe some random spells like when u cast it 15% chance to cast fire, or water)
*great terrain = epicness
*super strong almost impossible bosses
*100+ level
*quests where u have options.
*CREATIVITY
i dont like much rpgs but i have played a few and i hope these ideas will help you lol

Level 2
I've already read that guide several times now, but thanks for sharing it.

As for choice, I was going to go out on a limb, and make it that you could be a human archer, human mage, human fighter and elf archer, elf mage and elf fighter. That would require a tiny bit of model editing, but should be all good. What you think

Those are some pretty handy ides Acyong. Thanks!

Level 3
The best part of any rpg/orpg has to be the dungeons. A good dungeon with traps, puzzles, difficult bosses that are not just tank and spank, and a variety of enemies are the cornerstone of any rpg/orpg.

Good luck with your map! :thumbs_up:

Level 15
Just had a look through Ulduar boss fights... If u impliment some of those, it would be epic. IMHO, non-"tank'n'nspank" bosses are what makes a nice RPG nicer =))

Level 6
Storyline is actually very limited in an ORPG, and must be told through playing. In other words you cant think of a super big back story plot, you just need to think about what happens to the players.

However, in a campagin you can do whatever you want because its on a much larger scale (and because there is only one player you can make changes to the entire world), and campaigns arent about completing quests from questgivers and getting gear, they are about playing the game.

Level 5
I reccommend the Baldur's Gate games if you want some ideas, there be a huge variety of ideas in their, some combat, some non-combat. Don't know where you'd get them though, if you're in the UK, Gamestation might have a copy in.

Level 2
These are great ideas, guys! Thanks heaps!

Mun'ki, I actually have all of the Baldur's Gate games, even though I live in Australia. One of the best rpg games ever my in my honest opinion. I might load it up, and see what I can see. Thanks!

Level 2
id love to be part of a orpg , so basicly id love to help you in any way i can :) . especially a rpg that might break the mold , and not just be another tbr or something . try playing final fantasy epic rpg on wc3 , its a really good and well made rpg , it might give u/us ideas :)

Level 3
maybe in another orpg or rpg at first we choose our hero like start with an archer, i don't like it much...

~~I like when u start the game and choose a villager, maybe just male and female

then u can choose weapon, maybe it has school u study everyday ex: if u want to be

archer u must study to be an archer about 10 days... and become a good archer, in

school u get exp, weapon, archer skill, but u must pay money for school pee...

after being an archer.. u join guild or somewhat than u being a legendary hero's student

to be something more great than before... and bla bla bla........

~yeah that's about my mind in creating ORPG hope u like it haha...~

Status
Not open for further replies.