• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORIGINAL Custom Abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Ok i've looked everywhere and I still can't find this subject of matter...

I want to create my OWN SPELL! You know, like the ones that ARENT in wc3 originally? Like the Kamehameha or a spiral of ice that damages, or even an ice storm that damages and slows enemies...

What I mean is...I love the spells that people make freehand, and are INCREDIBLY unique. How do I go about making my own Spiral-of-flames? is it just some epic triggering? please point me in the right direction...

is this ability modeling? is this jass? is this triggering? YES I WANT MY OWN SPELL MODEL LIKE IN THE SPELLS SECTION :(

Level 7
They are made with triggering. Here is an example of a spell made in vjass (improved jass, you need JNGP for vJass) and i doesn't use imported models.

The best way to make spells is through learning vJass: read tutorials, convert normal triggers into jass.

Level 8
Well, actually, learning GUI is easier, and has now the same possibilities as JASS

Not true.

You can learn and become a bad GUIer pretty easily, but if you want to do some cool stuff Jass makes it way easier than GUI.

And Jass is better than GUI and this fact has not changed. There is enough old GUI vs Jass threads if you need any arguments.

And coding isnt everything when making spells. You can also make some cool custom art ( textures, effects ) to make your spells cooler. For example, some spiral of flames spell, it might be better to do some custom model than create tons of lil flame effects.

( This kinda depends what exactly you are trying to do. Usually custom effects and models just make your spell look better when they are made for that spell so they fit perfectly for it or something )

Last edited:
Level 21
Viikuna has proven himself wrong "old Gui vs JASS threads", but you know, GUI can be now equally MUI as JASS, which removes a big part of the JASS-freak arguments.

And please, stop stuff like that, if he wants to start, let him start with GUI, not everyone is a "freak-genius" whichs learns JASS in a day....

Level 7
I find it harder to make a GUI spell MUI than making a JASS spell MUI. But i never tried hard on making a GUI MUI spell because i read the old JASS vs GUI threads when looking on how to make GUI spell MUI.

If you have some C++ or java experience than i suggest learning the basics of gui first(not very hard because it's quite intuitive), and then learning vJass.

Level 12
When I started making spells, they were horrible. I started with GUI and couldn't make a spell without 2-3 triggers, and they wern't even MUI. So then I started to learn JASS, and found it much more easy. Now I can make anythng in GUI without MUI, and JASS MUI.

You just really need to find what fits you and try it out, start somewere, and get better at that, and if its too hard, try something else. Theres some GREAT GUI spellmakers on the Hive, and they probably don't know JASS either, becuase GUI is what fit what they found easy.

Level 8
Viikuna has proven himself wrong "old Gui vs JASS threads", but you know, GUI can be now equally MUI as JASS, which removes a big part of the JASS-freak arguments.

MUI was never the issue. Good GUIers could make MUI stuff even before they had hashtables. The reasons why Jass is better havent gone anywhere.

Level 5
Not true.
And coding isnt everything when making spells. You can also make some cool custom art ( textures, effects ) to make your spells cooler. For example, some spiral of flames spell, it might be better to do some custom model than create tons of lil flame effects.

where is this tutorial? this is EXACTLY what im looking for, like dot on the spot... where is this tutorial?

Level 5
omg thank you SO much, +rep Vulcano and Viikuna x3, ill find some other posts to +rep aswell!!! thank you so much for helping me ^^ very much appreciated

Level 21
Well, Viikuna, I am 1000x more experienced as you, just to tell you, I know more as 2 different programming languages, additional to JASS and vJASS, I know EVERY possibility of JASS, and for a programming language newbie it IS easier to learn GUI, and now, please, stop making yourself a fool.

P.S: I know many newbies which tried to start with JASS, they knew no programming languages at all, they gave up on JASS and stopped wc3 modding.

Level 8
I can only speak of my own experience. I was a noob who knew no programming language and I learned Jass just because I knew it was better than GUI.

Im not saying it was easy, but it was definetly worth of it, because GUI just sucks too much.

edit. And I would be suprised If you knew more vJass than I do. ( 1000x lols. )

Level 13
Well, Viikuna, I am 1000x more experienced as you

Wow... I thought you were better than those "I'm better than you, so STFU" guys.

Though it is true that you'll probably quit JASS if you start learning it before GUI. One of the reasons is that there is a million times greater number of errors you can (and probably will) do, unlike GUI.

GUI is easy to start with, but difficult to continue with. JASS is difficult to start with, but a lot easier to continue with.

Also, Lode probably doesn't know what any of these things are (no offense Lode), so I suggest starting with GUI. Try to read some tutorials, there are really good ones on this site.

Level 8
Well, it is probably indeed easier for him to start to understand how map editing works, if he first does stuff with GUI.

But moving to Jass as fast as possible is still preferrable. At least in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.