• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orc dragon rider v1.2

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Made in partnership with @Retera.

Two variants, chaos and green orc. Can be an air melee and a ground distance unit, or just use the dragon. Sadly, due to how it was made, I'm unable to add two different attacks.

I'm planning on doing a chaos variant for the windrider soon-ish, as well as a blackrock/dragonmaw gray variant.

Uses no custom textures. The best icons are, for the green one, the orc warlock (if you are using him, Gar'thok is also ok) and for the red one, the orc warchief.

Changelog
V1.1: Reduced the body size of both orcs. Changed the stand animation so it doesn't but when attacking and has some slight idle movement. Orcs do not clip anymore when walking. Removed the helm, the shield and the extra teeth from the green variant.

V1.2: Added two black drake variations. They share the same texture path (blackdragon.dds) so you only need to import that once.
Previews
Contents

Black dragon rider portrait v1.2 (Model)

Black dragon rider v1.2 (Model)

chaos black dragon rider portrait v1.2 (Model)

chaos black dragon rider v1.2 (Model)

chaos dragon rider portrait v1.1 (Model)

chaos dragon rider v1.1 (Model)

Dragon rider portrait v1.1 (Model)

Dragon rider v1.1 (Model)

Looking good, but the Orc seems way too big.
True, I'll keep that in mind. This model has so many issues (in terms of bone structure and all that, no in terms of quality) that it's almost easier to redo it from the beginning. It was a prototype, but it looked good enough to post it here.

Pd. I can try doing it with a nether dragon, sure

Last edited:
Level 34
Nice! I already like the model a lot.
I'm looking forward to the final version.
I agree with the predecessors: The orc is a little too big.
And since a nether dragon variant has already been requested, could I queue up there with a black dragon version?

I am thrilled that someone has finally dared to do it!

Level 18
It is unbelievable to start having that kind of variation that soon. It will open up the path for many other "mounted" version of unit on various animals.

Really good job!

It's really hard to get the "cavalry" unit scale right when you can clearly see the huge discrepancy of scale already existing between a Wolf Raider and a Grunt for instance.
What should be scaled, the mount or the rider? In both cases there can be an issue: a mount which is too big for what it is (if you scale up the model to make the rider fit the other infantry unit size) or vice versa.

I'm not sure what should be done about it.

EDIT: Looking at the "view in 3D model" and the animation, the model is really useful and I don't feel like the orc is too big.
There is clipping with the weapon in the walk animation, but eh, it's the beginning of the "riders era" so it doesn't really matter for now: the possibilities are wide open.

Level 9
I literally asked for this not too long ago with no response. Finally! Looks great aside from the Orc being a little too big maybe take the helmet off, but other than that this model is much needed! Good work for a prototype, looking forward for the final version!

Last edited:
Level 18
Just tried out the model, the dragon looks indeed a bit tiny to support such a massive orc lol.

But in any case, it works very well, the attack animation is on point.

It's too bad the orc doesn't have any animation on himself during the "stand" pose, but eh.

One thing that is bothering me is the dragon attack sound which seem a bit loud and I'm afraid of the result if you end up attacking with a bunch of them :D

But honestly, it is a great addition in many aspects in that state, so thank you very much!

Last edited:
Level 9
Oof! That looks so much better 100%! 5/5
I'm sure there is still room for improvement but it looks great nonetheless! Be legit to have a blackrock skin tone like the Blackrock skin variables available but overall it's still good! That would be perfect for WC3 Blackrock Orcs. Unfortunately there is only peon, warlock, and grunt, no wolfrider.

Last edited:
Oof! That looks so much better 100%! 5/5
I'm sure there is still room for improvement but it looks great nonetheless! Be legit to have a blackrock skin tone like the Blackrock skin variables available but overall it's still good! That would be perfect for WC3 Blackrock Orcs. Unfortunately there is only peon, warlock, and grunt, no wolfrider.

Yeah, maybe @Bagysta can help with that

Level 18
It's looking pretty badass, have you improved the other animations (specifically for the rider)? because it really seems like you made it a lot better.

It's looking pretty badass, have you improved the other animations (specifically for the rider)? because it really seems like you made it a lot better.

I changed the stand-1 animation and the walk animation. The original model, despite looking better with the mace in the shoulder, had huge issues when attacking (the mace flew from one hand's position to the other animation's position, not following the hand movement). Since it's impossible to add new animations (more like, incredibly time-consuming as I'd have to copy each single frame) due to how both models were merged and timescaled, adding a stand ready was harder than just modifying the stand-1 animation.
And now it clips less than before while walking, too.
I also had to change the spell animation, but I did it before posting v1.0

Level 12
A Nether Drake version of the fel orcs could also be super useful. You know, like the Dragonmaw Clan in Outland during the BC era.

Level 9
A Nether Drake version of the fel orcs could also be super useful. You know, like the Dragonmaw Clan in Outland during the BC era.
I mentioned that before on another model. A netherdrake fel orc would make a great addition for the fel orcs of outland. One other thing that could be replaced is the kodo rider since kodo's weren't native to draenor/outland. I thought it was odd seeing them in the blood elf campaign against the fel orcs. lol

Level 12
I mentioned that before on another model. A netherdrake fel orc would make a great addition for the fel orcs of outland. One other thing that could be replaced is the kodo rider since kodo's weren't native to draenor/outland. I thought it was odd seeing them in the blood elf campaign against the fel orcs. lol

The problem with kodos is that they are not found in anywhere outside Kalimdor. So even Pre-WC3 maps can't really use them. The green ones could be added to bears (as I've tried once), but there really is no Outlandish creature for the fel ones. Unless someone could create Clefthooves from scratch.
upload_2021-1-8_17-57-41.png

Level 9
The problem with kodos is that they are not found in anywhere outside Kalimdor. So even Pre-WC3 maps can't really use them. The green ones could be added to bears (as I've tried once), but there really is no Outlandish creature for the fel ones. Unless someone could create Clefthooves from scratch.
View attachment 371635
Yeah doing a Fel corrupted Clefthoof would take a lot of work and I don't see anyone finding it worth the time to make one, don't blame them. If possible maybe a Fel Orc on a Demolisher? I don't see how that could work either though. Nonetheless I don't use the fel Kodo rider anyways since it only fits for the period during the corruption of the Warsong clan in Ashenvale.

Level 9
Yeah doing a Fel corrupted Clefthoof would take a lot of work and I don't see anyone finding it worth the time to make one, I don't blame them. If possible maybe a Fel Orc on a Demolisher? I don't see how that could work either though. Nonetheless I don't use the fel Kodo rider anyways since it only fits for the period during the corruption of the Warsong clan in Ashenvale.

Level 6
View attachment 371635
Salamander rider, though that might overlap with the Draenei. Honestly, I imagine making a clefthood would take mixing a Kodo with a Mammoth.

Last edited:

It's not easy to make these models. A netherdrake fel orc would mean redoing everything -or mostly everything- of this model, and I barely have enough time. All my models are open sourced, though; anyone can make any alterations as long as they credit the process.

With Kodos, I believe @Raddazong is making fel orcs riding salamanders.

Level 9
It's not easy to make these models. A netherdrake fel orc would mean redoing everything -or mostly everything- of this model, and I barely have enough time. All my models are open sourced, though; anyone can make any alterations as long as they credit the process.

With Kodos, I believe @Raddazong is making fel orcs riding salamanders.
Indeed I saw that, salamanders make a lot more sense than kodo's. And yeah I can imagine it being tons of hours of work practically starting from scratch to make a netherdrake rider.

Level 14
Could you make a Nether Dragon Fel Orc Rider version too please?

I believe he already answered on this:

Level 21
I really wish I had the time to do it, really. I've recently started working on a full-time job and the first weeks are pretty time-consuming.

Too save you time man you could just edit one of the Fel Orc Dragon Riders and attach the Nether Dragon skin too it...
So you don't have to remove the rider and do more work adding the Nether Dragon and such...

Would be really handy since I do love the Fel Orcs a lot and I do love on how they had Dragons in the Blood Elf Campaign from Frozen Throne, but they needed to be Nether Dragons...

Also I could ask someone too do it too if I get your permission to do it since you don't have time at all...
Honestly be the better choice and saves you any hassle at all...

Too save you time man you could just edit one of the Fel Orc Dragon Riders and attach the Nether Dragon skin too it...
So you don't have to remove the rider and do more work adding the Nether Dragon and such...

Would be really handy since I do love the Fel Orcs a lot and I do love on how they had Dragons in the Blood Elf Campaign from Frozen Throne, but they needed to be Nether Dragons...

Also I could ask someone too do it too if I get your permission to do it since you don't have time at all...
Honestly be the better choice and saves you any hassle at all...

The skin thing wouldn't work, nether drakes have different bodies (coloured drakes share most of the texture, though, so doing a black drake was easy). To do a nether drake I would have to start from scratch (I guess I could save some of it if the animations matched, though).

Level 21
The skin thing wouldn't work, nether drakes have different bodies (coloured drakes share most of the texture, though, so doing a black drake was easy). To do a nether drake I would have to start from scratch (I guess I could save some of it if the animations matched, though).

I see...
Still if you don't have time like I said...Can get someone else to do it for me and we can credit you for the model...

And would be handy since Nether Dragons can be part of the Fel Horde...

I see...
Still if you don't have time like I said...Can get someone else to do it for me and we can credit you for the model...

And would be handy since Nether Dragons can be part of the Fel Horde...

Yeah, sure. All my models are open sourced, so feel free to modify them.

Level 12
I think the rider should just ride like he is ordering the dragon around (think House of the Dragon), and all Attack animations should just be the dragon's fire breath.

Unlike knights and wyverns, the dragonrider is an upgrade to a regular dragon not because of the rider also attacking but because the rider is the only way to control the dragon which is a force of nature. Otherwise it would be hostile or flee. And I doubt any hand-held weapon could do significantly more damage than a dragon's fire breath.

I think the rider should just ride like he is ordering the dragon around (think House of the Dragon), and all Attack animations should just be the dragon's fire breath.

Unlike knights and wyverns, the dragonrider is an upgrade to a regular dragon not because of the rider also attacking but because the rider is the only way to control the dragon which is a force of nature. Otherwise it would be hostile or flee. And I doubt any hand-held weapon could do significantly more damage than a dragon's fire breath.
Ah yes, I pictured it as having a melee attack for flying and a ground attack for ground. I may revisit these models in the future to make them cooler.