• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Opening/Closing Gates

Level 3

Opening/Closing Gates

-By RazorHedgeFan

Description:

In this tutorial, I will show you how to open and close gates in the editor using 3 different methods. Gates are means of entrances and exits which can open or close. In Warcraft III, gates are classified as destructibles, which means that they can be destroyed to be opened.​

Method 1: Regions

This method allows gates to open once units enter a region.

First, create a gate wherever you'd like. To do this, open the Doodad Palette, and go to Trees/Destructibles.

Next, switch to the Region Palette, and create a new region. Make the region decently big, so that it covers both sides of the gate by a decent margin. Name the region "Open Gate", as this will be the region in which, upon a unit entering, the gate will open. This is how it should look like:
regions1.jpg

Once the unit leaves the region, the door will close. But to do this, you must incorporate triggers. Open the Trigger Editor (F4) and create a trigger. The goal of the first trigger is to open the gate upon entering the Open Gate region, so let us do that.
  • Open The Gate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Open Gate <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
That will register when a unit enters the region, so now we must open the gate. To do this, you must go to Actions -> Destructible -> Open/Close/Destroy Gate. Select the gate you want to open, and this should be the resulting trigger:
  • Open The Gate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Open Gate <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Open Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen>
Now we must do the same, but instead close it upon leaving. You will use the same functions, but just change the event and change "Open" to "Close".
  • Close The Gate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit leaves Open Gate <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Close Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen>
However, there is one problem. Once you leave the gate, it will close on units that are still passing through. It is pretty funny, but most people probably wouldn't want that in their maps. To fix this, you must first create a Unit Group variable named GateUnits. Then, create the following trigger.
  • Close The Gate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit leaves Open Gate <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set GateUnits = (Units in Open Gate <gen>)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Number of units in GateUnits) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_GateUnits)
This will make sure that there is no one in the open gate region before closing it. There is also another problem that rises, in which if you have guards standing at the gate, it will never close. To fix this, basically add conditions to the grouping or in the If - Conditions to make sure it doesn't include anyone you don't want it to.

Method II: Chat Messages

This method of opening gates involves chat messages to queue opening and closing of gates. If you type -Open, the gate will open. If you type -Close, the gate will close.

For this, perform the same actions in Method I, except ignore making the regions. Simply make the gate, and then open the trigger editor.

For registering chat messages, we must use the event Player - Chat Message. Add this event for all the players. Then we must simply open the gates. You can either make a trigger for each gate, (eg: -Open1, -Open2), but you can also just use one trigger and open all gates upon the -open chat message.
  • Open The Gate
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 3 (Teal) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 4 (Purple) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 6 (Orange) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 7 (Green) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 8 (Pink) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 9 (Gray) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 11 (Dark Green) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown) types a chat message containing -open as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Open Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen>
      • -------- You can add other gates to open here as well --------
If you don't have all players playing the game, then just remove the events that don't correspond to users in the map. Now you must do the same thing for closing.

• Close The Gate
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 3 (Teal) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 4 (Purple) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 6 (Orange) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 7 (Green) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 8 (Pink) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 9 (Gray) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 11 (Dark Green) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown) types a chat message containing -close as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- You can add other gates to close here as well --------

Method III: Unit Range (Medium)

This method is a bit more advanced. It doesn't require regions, but it effectively does the same thing. It will check if a unit enters the range of the gate, and it will open it if so. It will close the gate if not. In this method, we will also discuss dead gates, as well as multiple gates in the game.

So first, let's take into consideration that you have 3 gates. (or more) If you have a situation like this, you will probably want to use an array to easily sort your gates. So first, create a destructible array called Gate. you will want an initialization trigger to set the gate variables to their corresponding destructibles:
  • Gate Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Gate[1] = Gate (Horizontal) 0100 <gen>
      • Set Gate[2] = Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen>
      • Set Gate[3] = Gate (Horizontal) 0099 <gen>
Now we will want to fix whether or not a gate is destroyed. When a gate destroys, it will fire the event: Destructible - Destructible Dies. So this is exactly what we'll be using. Make a new trigger, and name it whatever you'd like. We will loop through the gate indexes and register a death event on initialization for everyone one of them onto a that new trigger you have made:
  • Gate Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Gate[1] = Gate (Horizontal) 0100 <gen>
      • Set Gate[2] = Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen>
      • Set Gate[3] = Gate (Horizontal) 0099 <gen>
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 3, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Trigger - Add to Gate Destroyed <gen> the event (Destructible - Gate[(Integer A)] dies)
  • Gate Destroyed
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Dying destructible) Equal to Gate[(Integer A)]
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Gate[(Integer A)] = No destructible
            • Else - Actions
These triggers will need some explanation. What we are doing is making sure that actions for the gates won't be performed any more once the gate is dead. We register for each index of gate (1 to 3) a death event in the initialization trigger. If you use more or less than 3 gates, such as 6 gates, then you would change the loop to "1 to 6". In the "gate destroyed" trigger, you will check which gate was destroyed. For example, if Gate (Horizontal) 0045 <gen> was destroyed, then the trigger would figure out that Gate[2] is equal to that gate. Once we figure out which variable is set to that gate, then we will basically make that variable point to nothing. The variable will point to "no destructible" (null), so now opening and closing that variable will no longer close that gate.

This doesn't make sense at the moment, but it will once we make the opening/closing trigger.

To open/close the gate, we will repeatedly check if there are any units in range of the gate. If there are some, then we will open the gate. If there aren't any, then we will close it. Create a Unit Group variable named GateUnits, create a Point variable named GatePoint, and a real array named GateLife.

This is what the trigger will look like:
  • Gate OpenClose
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.40 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • Gate[(Integer A)] Not equal to No destructible
            • Then - Actions
              • Set GatePoint = (Position of Gate[(Integer A)])
              • Set GateUnits = (Units within 350.00 of GatePoint matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)))
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Number of units in GateUnits) Greater than 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set GateLife[(Integer A)] = (Current life of Gate[(Integer A)])
                  • Trigger - Turn off Gate Destroyed <gen>
                  • Destructible - Open Gate[(Integer A)]
                  • Trigger - Turn on Gate Destroyed <gen>
                • Else - Actions
                  • Destructible - Close Gate[(Integer A)]
                  • Destructible - Set life of Gate[(Integer A)] to GateLife[(Integer A)]
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_GatePoint)
              • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_GateUnits)
            • Else - Actions
There are several things worth noting in this trigger, so I'll break them down. First off, the event is meant to fire every 0.40 seconds to periodically check if there are any units in range. If there are, it will open the gate, and otherwise, close it.

The loop will loop through all the gates in the map that you have set in the initialization. If you have 5, set it to "1 to 5", or if you have 123, then set it to "1 to 123". The condition immediately afterward corresponds to the gate destroying trigger. It checks if the variable has no value, and if it does have a value, it won't perform the following functions.

The next part groups the units in range of the gate. If there are 1 or more units in the area, it will open the gate. If there are 0 units in the area, it will close the gate. However, you might have noticed some key things:
  • Trigger - Turn off Gate Destroyed <gen>
  • Destructible - Open Gate[(Integer A)]
  • Trigger - Turn on Gate Destroyed <gen>
Why do you need to turn off the trigger? Well, it is because when you open the gate, it fires the "death" event. Thus, we must disable it and turn it back on so that it won't count as us "destroying" the gate.

The next part is this:
  • Destructible - Close Gate[(Integer A)]
    • Destructible - Set life of Gate[(Integer A)] to GateLife[(Integer A)]
When you open the gate, the gate no longer has any life. Once you close it, it is back at max life. To prevent this, we set the life of the gate before we open it, and set the life back once we close it. The custom scripts at the end are just for cleaning leaks.

Now you should be done with this method. Make sure you have all 3 of the triggers mentioned throughout this method.​

Final Notes:

You are done! Now you can open and close gates in as many different ways as you want! Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some BB Codes are used wrong and they need to be improved/fixed!

Example:
H2]Way II: Typing in game E.G:-Open [ and gate open] (Verry easy difficult)[/H2]
so first we want to spawn the gate.Now you spawned gate
I guess you missed [

Way II: Typing in game E.G:-Open [ and gate open] (Verry easy difficult)

so first we want to spawn the gate.Now you spawned gate

Level 6
It should look like this, except for the missing triggers and variables and random stuff hidden

Hello everybody,
in this tutorial I will show you how to open or close a gate in WE in 3 ways
--Way I: Regions (Easy Difficult)

First we need gate. So spawn a gate where you want.
Now, create a Region where you want, named: Open Region (Make another one on the other side of door named Open Door2)
(Optional, but recommended): Create a footswitch and place region on it

Now create another Region near "Open Region" Named: Close Region (make another one on the other side of door named Close Door2)
We have the Regions So what's the point. When player steps on region the door will either open or close.
Now open Trigger Editor (F4 hotkey).
Create a new Category
after you created the category create 2 trigger by pressing new trigger and one should be named: Open Gate and the other Close gate.
At open gate, you gonna add this
Trigger

So that’s it we have it
now we will make a trigger for close gate.

Go to Close gate trigger and add this
Trigger

F.A.Q
A: At close/open gate trigger why this: Unit- A unit enters Close gate or open?
Q: Remember when we placed the region? Well when a player enters that region something will happen to the player.

Q: ok, I got it but what it will happen?
A: Well I added at actions: Close gate or open gate.

Q: And what’s the matter with condition?
A: Well let’s say a unit enters region that isn't owned by you. The condition we did add its false then trigger will not apply actions. Will do nothing

Way II: Typing in game E.G:-Open [and gate open] (Very easy difficult)
so first we want to spawn the gate. Now you spawned gate
Go to Trigger Editor (f4 Hotkey), and make 2 triggers and name the first ‘Open door’ and the second ‘Close door’.
Now open "Open door trigger”. We need the following in it.

Trigger

Ok now at Close gate
Trigger

F.A.Q
Q: Well...
A. I think you will find out alone. Don't you think it is so easy? Even my cat knows what to do
WayIII Unit Range (Medium)

THIS IS NOT RECOMMANDED FOR EASY USERS

First Create 2 Gates

then we want The Variables
Variables

Note: Destructible-Array (2) Because we have 2 gates

Ok so now we have the variables. Let's get to Triggers

Create a Trigger called however you want. I'll call it "Gate Initialization".
This is the Trigger you should use
Gate Initialization

We've done with first trigger.
Now let's start with 2nd one. I'll call it Gate Dead

Gate Dead

The 2nd Trigger is done, now the final one. I’ll call it open/close gate.
Open/close gate
Open/close gate

F.A.Q
Q. What does Gate initialization does?
A. It setups our trigger. Remember when we did Gate Variable?

Q. What does Gate Dead do?
A. Well let's say someone destroy the gate. This trigger allows us to make the gate stay dead.

Q. What does Open/Close Door do?
A. Seriously? I will tell you information, not such a question. So Open/close door will open when you're entering the 350 range of each door. (Remember? We've created 2 doors) .But it will not open if the unit is dead. Or if a unit dies near door when the door is actually open, it will close.
That's it have fun! :)

Level 8
What no lever method :D

I once showed someone how to use a single lever to open and close a gate.
Simple yes, but for some they got no idea. (we were all noobs once)

I like the range method. Never thought of that one.

But I would simplify the triggers, like in the region method. You used a variable and really didn't need to. Instead of using a variable in the last trigger your condition could be:
Number of units in region open gate equal to 0

Just easier thats all :D

What no lever method :D

I once showed someone how to use a single lever to open and close a gate.
Simple yes, but for some they got no idea. (we were all noobs once)

I like the range method. Never thought of that one.

But I would simplify the triggers, like in the region method. You used a variable and really didn't need to. Instead of using a variable in the last trigger your condition could be:
Number of units in region open gate equal to 0

Just easier thats all :D

Sadly, (Units in (Region)) leaks a unit group variable. That is why you have to use a unit group, to prevent a leak from forming. ;D

Level 8
Sadly, (Units in (Region)) leaks a unit group variable. That is why you have to use a unit group, to prevent a leak from forming. ;D
So the game creates a variable for you when you use (units in region) and never cleans it. That's just poor programing on blizz's part. Maybe they didn't see it as a problem. After all I've never experienced a problem from this. Now I'm wondering what else leaks. I seen a post about leaks somewhere.
Thanks for the info :D

Level 4
sorry but i couldn't understand
so i create the "unit enters region"
then i go to condition and i select "trigger comparision" right?
but then there is the "value" equal to "value"
how do i do this?

sorry but i couldn't understand
so i create the "unit enters region"
then i go to condition and i select "trigger comparision" right?
but then there is the "value" equal to "value"
how do i do this?

It should be a boolean comparison. And then you just change the left side to the condition you want (e.g. <Unit> has some item). The middle and the right side can stay the same (Equals to True).

I don't have access to the editor for a while, but hopefully that'll steer you towards the right direction. If not, you can feel free to make a thread in the Triggers & Scripts forum and I'm sure someone will help you out. :)

Level 5
How do I make it so that when two(if not more) units die, the gate opens? Been fumbling with triggers awhile now but cant find anything.

Level 25
Events:
Unit1 dies
Unit2 dies

Conditions:
unit1 == dead
unit 2 == dead

Actions:
destructible - kill zeh gate of doom and ride away in a glory of the heroism you did saving the peagulls that were trapped behind zeh gate of zeh doom.

Level 1
Hi

I was able to follow the part of the tutorial and I have created a gate which open and close when one unit is stepping on the trigger (region).

However, I simply cannot figure out how to make the next part of the tutorial where I make the stay open until all units have gotten through.

My problem is that I can't figure out what to select in the Action Type ?

I have tried to select Unit Group, however, I'm not sure what to do next.

How and where do I create a Unit Group variable named GateUnits ?

Level 1
How to create this string (Number of units in GateUnits) Greater than 0

EDIT1: Thanks I found already

EDIT2: In method III when I look at gate using camera it automatically dies.
How to fix that?

Last edited by a moderator:
In method III when I look at gate using camera it automatically dies.
How to fix that?

It shouldn't automatically die just by looking at the gate with the camera since the method doesn't really involve the camera. Are you sure a unit didn't pass by closely?

I recommend taking a look at this line:
  • Set GateUnits = (Units within 350.00 of GatePoint matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)))
Filter it as necessary so that it only opens when you want to. For example, if you have some neutral hostile enemy near it, you'll probably want to add a condition "(Owner of (Matching unit) Not equal to Neutral Hostile)", otherwise it'll just open right away.

Level 1
The error is in this line
Destructible - Set life of Gate[(Integer A)] to GateLife[(Integer A)]
I think it is taking default value of GateLife that's why it is dying

Level 1
I changed the default value so the gate didn't die but when i reach the gate it open and when i go away from the gate it simply dies