• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open Source AtD?

Should an Open Source Against the Darkness be released?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Should I release an open source Against the Darkness for mapmakers to use as a reference and/or modify to create their own versions?

I know that this would help to fix the very few bugs left and to optimize the script into 100% JASS if an experienced mapper got a hold of it, but I also know that it would be modified mostly by newer mapmakers that could screw it up. However, at this point I don't care much. What do you guys think?

Level 4
lol poor dark nite,no1 is viewing atd already :(

Id think no,they d get too imba,its fine as it is i think(besides it screws up my guide too much,it didnt cover the new areas asadad)

Level 3
To keep the originality, and not to let those new mapper ruined the image of AtD, don't ever do it.

Level 3
Useless.A good map hacker can edit any map however strong it is decoded, so long as it can be played on WC3.
Beginners use WorldEditor only.The meaning of decoding is only to ban these beginners,and there is not at all need to open source.

Level 8
Please never release this as an open source map since so many people would just open it in WE and unbalance it or add cheats to it....

It must be easy to add cheats, because I downloaded appearently a cheated version of AtD, the latest one, from someone off battle.net and they were cheating in it, and had like, 999999 atd points

of course, keeping it protected would keep the inexperienced from adding cheats, since no one wants to take time to add cheats (well, depending on how long adding cheats take...

I vote keep protected. (I voted for yes, whoops)

Level 12
Yea it is way to easy to add cheats for example:

• Actions:
    • Player 1 red types -cheats as an exact match
  • Conditions:
    • None
  • Events:
    • Set player 1 red current gold to 99999999
    • Set player 1 red current lumber to 99999999
It takes at most 30 seconds to insert cheats into an unprotected map and im counting the maps loading time :xxd:

Level 20
If someone really wants to "cheat" and edit the datas inside the protected map he know what to do and how. There are many ways.

And I dont really care about protecting. Its more likely useles unless the map size is too big and needs heavy optimization.

Level 3
Haha,I'm sorry for that.
There are many maps I loved and it's hard for me to contact the authors since some only give a BN ID for contact.
That's not an excuse,I know.It's wrong and unjust to edit one's work without permit.
I'll take care of that later and do what I should do.

Level 8
^^^ First off, I tried reading that really fast and it confused me, I guess because all the words are bunched up aswell as sentences.

I've really thought about it, *almost* no matter who you restrict unprotected versions to, it will possibly get out one way or another. Once it gets to one person, it gets to another. And another sends it to yet more, and those...you get it.

But, I've taken thought into it, (somewhat) you should give it to people you feel really WANT to make a mod with it, and not add cheats and stuff.

I for one like modding maps. I'm in fact creating a modded version of CouldWolf's Diablo 3 map, or trying, because it keeps giving me a whole bunch of errors. (>.>)

I just like adding things like Game Modes, new items, heroes, etc. but nothing unbalanced or cheated.

I feel you should take out AtD points in the unprotected versions IF YOU DO make an open source AtD.

Level 3
Perhaps my name is mfdsrax2?
I'm sorry for that.Maybe 1)ark you could add a Blizzard Signature for your game.
Then it would be easy to distinguish between an offical version and a fake version.

Level 3
There's a Blizzard Signature near the name of the original maps.
A customed map could as well have a Blizzard Signature by adding sth in map.
Just like this.
If the map is edited the signature would be lost.
Just as when I edit my post,there's a "Last edited by mfdsrax2; Today at 10:31 AM." sign near the post.
180819_1001085828_m.jpg

180821_1280997385_m.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
That's really cool,though.
However I don't know how to add it.
It seems there's a GA Map Fingerprint Signature.... or something that provides Map signaturing.But I don't know how to visit that site.

Level 3
Well,what would you do with an open-source file?
Add cheats?Or make changes to units or skills?
Perhaps most would choose the former one.

Level 9
No. I would use it as a template, and mod it into something different. I would then add special-heroes for administrators, and special people. Thats a more unique cheat...by having special heroes for your development team and super uber good players...etc.

Level 3
You may release strictly the OLD VERSION. That should give the map makers' insight they need (like me) and not the cheaters opportunity to just hack 'n slash your balance. Nice map though! I'll give it 100 out of 10. GJ!

Level 18
Full protection against anyone not possible.

Of course. I recognize this and am fully aware of it. Matter of fact, my Chinese translator cracked the optimized version before he even asked me if he could translate it! But most people wont go through the trouble of editing the .j file in JASS just to get some cheats into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.