• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

On a possible gem/shard system - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Is there a possibility they up the 8 MB file size limit? And if so could we be expecting to see some more very fancy graphical enhancements?

Level 1
I have to agree with Alex's suggetion on gold penalty on death. If a player waits 1 minute he shouldnt pay anything. This feature should be added.
---------
Challenge/difficulty is one of the best things in games. But dont forget what we were discussing in another topic about builds. If a game is too hard and only 2-3 builds can deal with the final content then the whole point of adding build diversity in gaias is lost since everyone will be forced to get the same skills/talents/items just to beat the content. And thats awful. So once again, challenge is great, i myself love it but i also love the class build diversity.
----------
The Shards feature is kind of meaningless right now. We already have the new Soul system which btw isn’t even at its final stage yet.
----------
The horse model is ugly. I DO agree with that.
---------
A good aspect of life that can be added to games is the feature/idea of surprise. In other words, randomness. Thing happen when u don’t expect them. Including boss fights where bosses don’t do skills in a specific order but randomly, keeping players alert.
BUT, beside boss fights this feature/idea of surprise can be added in other areas of the game as well. Random monster spawns, random boss spawns, random item spawns though chests (as you said).
An example of a random boss spawn would be:
Imagine that in the world of Gaias there is this flying boss which roams in the map in random order, so u basically never know when it will appear next to you.
The boss can be any kind. Maybe its a driller/digger, something like Anub’ arak, which means he can appear in close areas (inside buildings) where the flying boss cannot. Or maybe the boss simple walks, doesn’t fly nor dig. Or maybe it can fly and walk? Who knows!
So imagine that you are fighting Gargoyle and due to your bad luck the flying boss appears next to you! BOOM! you are all dead!
Ofc this bosses could be killed and maybe they have unique drops? So maybe people actually want to hunt them down?

Then there is also the idea of roaming creeps (but always in their territory). I mean you wouldn’t see Crabs wondering where Wolves are :) Such features will give a more living feel to the game.

What you think?

Would it be possible to make it so there is two load codes and they tie into eachover so if you do -load1 XXXXXXX it loads part of your load then -load2 XXXXXX that loads the second bit and it is part of the first code?
It's possible, but it would suck giant hairy balls.
It's bad enough that people are forced to load a second code for the vaults anyway...

But let's see what the 1.27 patch from blizzard brings. If they fix the preload bug - the bug used to generate save textfiles (or in the case of Gaia: html files) - chances are we will get something new that fills the same purpose in return. Maybe a feature similar to banks in SC2 that allows codeless save/load... who knows?

The last time they fixed a bug that could be abused to infect your system with viruses (the return bug), we got GetHandleId() and Hashtables. It isn't that far-fetched that blizzard might add something to allow saving and loading data in multiplayer sessions.

Btw; here's an update on the current Gaias hiatus:
I'm making progress with my new appartment and the new job is going along fine. I still have a lot of stuff to do for it, though. Since I'm working as a teacher now, I have to plan and prepare all the classes I give. This currently consumes all of my freetime. But it will get better. Not in the next two or three weeks, but eventually. The good part is, that I can teach the same five topics multiple times with different classes until the summer break; which drastically reduces the amount of work once everything is done. I'll keep you guys posted.

Level 14
zwieb_teacher.jpg

Well in all honesty the idea for the codes i brought forward would actually not be that bad if we can convince a majority of the player base to use that loader :D
Doesn't matter anyway. With 1.27 in the making, it doesn't make sense to add such new features before we know what Blizzard is going to add (I'm still hoping for a multiplayer gamecache).

Level 7
New screens!
Scorpion is awesome :)

- you can only have one mount active at the same time; you basicly buy them like an ability scroll and learn them via a click; then you can summon the mount directly from the hero command card. If you want to use a different mount, you must "activate" that first by clicking on the item to swap the equipped mount skill
Maybe it's a time to change storage logic? I mean players can obtain mounts at low levels, but they can not place them somewhere - only sell to trader or keep in backpack (-1 slot).

For example, you can move storages completely to soul vault and make them upgradeable.
Each upgrade adds +2 slots to storage space and increases storage model size.
( from technical side it could be just another unit with 2/4/6 backpack size, and when player uses upgrade - bigger storage spawned, all items from old storage moved to new in same slots, and after that old storage removed from the game )

SizeStorage #1Storage #2
0-Default
2Default1 MC
41000 Gold5 MC
610000 Gold20 MC
Player will aquire storage space in more smooth and enjoyable way: from gold grinding (solo way) or boss killing (25+ party way).

This scheme has 12 possible combinations and will require only 1 additional letter in savecode ( or even 0, if all data combined together, idk how exactly map generates savecode :)

Level 13
If blizzard decides to increase the map size limit in 1.27, then this would be an opportunity to implement some custom mount models. Until then, we have to deal with what's already available. ;)

Can you chop up the huntress model ):? A puma will do

Level 9
I'm down for the Quilboar model.

Any chances that we can enter combat while we're riding without dismounting, and potentially being immune to stuns while riding, so we could actually pass through the foothills a lil more smoothly.

Kinda seems like there are not a lot of areas we can go without entering some sort of combat.

Level 8
Any chances that we can enter combat while we're riding without dismounting, and potentially being immune to stuns

Wouldn't it be better to just be unable to enter combat while riding? I don't think we'll be able to mount while in combat.

If not, I think Zwieb said somewhere he's giving them a boost ability and resistant skin or something like that.

I wasn't satisfied with how the mount system worked (controlling a spawned extra unit and making the hero unselectable while mounted), so I recoded the whole system from scratch.

Result:
You now actually control the hero instead of the mount, so that buffs/debuffs and any other effects still work on your hero and you can also still do non-combat actions while mounted like picking up items, dropping items, accepting quests, crafting, etc.

While mounted, attacking and spellcasting is disabled, though (except for the special mount skill(s)).

Attachments

• NewMounts.jpg
    NewMounts.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 91
Level 9
SO does that mean that the mount system is finished, and we're just waiting on a couple of skills at this point to test out the mount system and new ability system?

SO does that mean that the mount system is finished, and we're just waiting on a couple of skills at this point to test out the mount system and new ability system?
Yes, but as I said, this is probably going to take a while, some of the new skills are pretty complicated to make in order for them to feel polished.

Maybe give us a hint about these new spells? Hype is usually affected by such revelations^^
This time, I wanted to try out not spoiling too much before the release.

Is it possible to have a giant chicken as a mount? This could improve the immersion of gaias.
... uh... this is awkward...

Attachments

• WeveGotChicken.jpg
    WeveGotChicken.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.