• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[OLD] Welcome to the Galaxy Editor

Level 18
This tutorial won't be extremely helpful as I myself have not covered the entire editor in my own spare time, I will go over the things I have figured out so far.

Part 1, the buttons.

Buttons.jpg

Text Editor The Text Editor is your string editor, simple.

Data Editor As said in the image, this is where you will edit units, heroes, spells, upgrades, etc. (For a guide, see here.)

Trigger Editor: is very similar to the WarCraft 3 Trigger Editor, but it has more string based values.

Terrain Duh?

Import Editor Same as WarCraft III, you can import/export textures.

Test Document Your test map ability.

Overview Manager I don't really know what this does yet.

Undo/Redo Speaks for itself.

New/Open/Save Also speaks for itself.

Part 2: Textures

Textures.jpg

Add Texture:
Your tileset, placing is the same as WarCraft III, with some additions.
Remove Texture: Speaks for itself.
Uniform Texture: Overlaps the texture without a fade effect.
Replace Texture: Replaces any texture of X with Y.
Blur/Smudge Texture: I can't seem to get this to work, then again this is the Beta editor, so it may not be in operation yet.

Part 3: Roads

Road.jpg

It seems that there is only 1 road tile option, and that is the preset for the map (They will differ on your tilesets.)

RoadLines.jpg

Click once on the terrain, and you will create a dot, then move your cursor to the 2nd point you want to draw the Road, click again and your road will be made.

TwoRoads.jpg

If you want to continue making that road, hover nearby one of the ends of the road you just created, and the dot that you just previously clicked on the first road will connect with your cursor, you click again where you want the 2nd ending, and you have a longer (and maybe curved) road.

CurveRoad.jpg

If you want to make a curved road, put your cursor in between the road you just, a dot will appear with two lines going to the edge of the road, now move it above/below/side/wherever and make it look like an open triangle, when you click, you make a curved road. Here is an outcome:

CurveOutcome.jpg

Part 4: Height

HeightPart1.jpg

Height Options: These are very similar to the WarCraft III height/depth options.

Amplitude: The height and speed of your modifications.

Size of the Region: The size of your terrain/height/whatever, region.

Shapes: The Galaxy Editor comes in 3 shapes, Diamond, like in StarCraft, Square, like in WarCraft III, and a Circle option!

Part 4: Height: Part Two

HeightPart2.jpg

1. Airbrush - Provides a fade effect on the edges
2. Paintbrush - Just slaps on the texture/height without many smooth edges
3. Noise - Creates a bit of a bumpy effect with smoothness
4. Fractical - Really rough edges, good for mountains.

-------------

This is all I have, took me about 2 hours to get this all down. Enjoy this tutorial (THIS WILL BE EDITED.. hopefully)

Last edited: