1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Odds & Ends - VG's Map Making Suggestions

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by VGsatomi, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudeofwar

dudeofwar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah VG is absolutely right everyone in this community should worry more for making great maps not maps that are made in 5 mins

2. Eusira

Eusira

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You've bested me beyond my limits, VG, simply out of expertise. I've gotten better, but don't have the field of knowledge anymore. Simply excellent. I hope to hear from you again.

3. billy22

billy22

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm in the middle of a campaign, and I want to post some of the maps, but it's so long that with the five maps I've made so far, the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere yet. AND I've tested them so many times they don't even seem fun, and I wonder if anyone else will think the same thing. ALSO- everytime I code a new map, I have to spend lots of time updating the previous ones, because of--"Crap, why didn't I think of that before?" I look back on the second map I did- it is a twenty minute long movie- and I did it without a single variable. Now, I can't imagine how the hell I pulled it off. In my fifth map, I finally started experimenting with sound, and custom models. Now, I have to go back and update the other maps to make the campaign flow smoothly.
    My plan so far, is around every other map, you play a different set of characters. They converge of course, but not before you come to love and respect each set. Then, they gradually seperate into good verses bad whether you like it or not. One problem of course, is before I decided this I didn't carry over imported data between the maps. So when they finally converge, I'm going to have to make everyone from one set of characters from scratch. ...damn... And that's just the tip of the ice berg.
    My advice in making the campaign of a lifetime, is come up with a story line, characters, and anything custom first. Then, define your strength with the editor, and try to stick with it to the end without changing anything to avoid going back to previous maps over and over. Planning would've saved me alot of time as well as learning how to use the editor before I undertook this thing, instead of in the middle of it.

4. Thalassicus

Thalassicus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Coming from the perspective of art/tech and programming, those are also the only two things I look at differently...version numbers, and completeness. Anyone who's ever put lots of time into art knows that something may never be complete, you just get it to a state where it's acceptable to yourself and your employer or audience and go with that.

In the case of making maps as a hobby though, and many other things, you have no "final" deadline where the check is written, or the painting goes on the wall, so changes and improvements over time are nothing to be feared. This also goes hand in hand with programming, as an se/cs major I know that programs will never, ever be bug free. Ever. Even if you had a thousand monkeys with a thousand keyboards for... you get the idea :wink:

The important thing is knowing how to balance update frequency with the quantity and importance of the content actually being updated. Releasing 20 new versions for minor bug fixes after a "gold" version is not the way to go - you save them all up for one patch.

Version number preference is pretty minor, but I know what probably bugs you is just all these crazy versioning systems like "blue" and "emerald" that are out there. On the other hand, it's a pretty common convention to number computer programs with the x.y.z system, representing major versions, minor versions, and individual builds of a minor version... I just use it out of habit.

A note on singleplayer compatability: some things don't really inherently lend themselves to be played solo. To give an example from another commonly-played game, groups in WoW are with other people. Instances aren't designed or intended on the most part to be run by one person...if you can't solo Stratholme because it inherently isn't ment to be solo'd, that doesn't mean it's poorly designed, or should be penalized in ratings for that reason :)

On the other hand, the number of players in the map as a whole should be taken into account, since obviously you might not always be able to, or want to, play a map with the ideal number of players. If it lists 2-9 players, the gameplay should be relatively consistent across that range.

5. mr_KING_noobie

mr_KING_noobie

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah this is about the version thing.

ok so basicly if you start with version 1.00 and then have version 1.01 thats kinda stupid, ok so your gonna be using the numbers after the 1. part and this would be your next version is 1.01, that means you've just started on a game and already on your 101th version.

Now the way I do maps is I do them with 0.01 and then 0.02 and so on, now dont tell me its the wrong way because yet again it works, and also it kinda makes sense.

O and one more thing, true there is updates but now there isnt that many and they dont really screw up maps, and also all you do is you fix what ever problem there is and still keep numbers out, and just put it out as a new gold versioned map, ok.

6. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Map protection selfish??

Edit that :p !

7. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i know this will sound like the n00biest thing on this thread but... what is a memory leak? broken triggers or what?... yes i've been making maps for a while but I'm not familiar with the lingo.

8. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Memory ... leak ... is .. slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

9. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Stop spamming, Wand Mirror, if you continue to do so it will have consequences.

10. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Will VGsatomi continue to rate maps here now that wc3search is no more? :)
    Will there be Director's Choice maps here? I would like that.
    And why does VGsatomi have so little reputation? :)

11. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Jaakko:

1. If VG wants to participate, it might be arranged.
    2. There might be such a section in the future.
    3. Virtually no contribution here at The Hive (so far.)
    4. You should edit your post and provide an opinion on the Odds & Ends, which I have always used as my guide when evaluating maps.

12. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As far as I know VG has left for good.

13. Tonks

Tonks

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As everyone seems to be ignoring panda.. Memory leaks are the result of poor triggering. They cause lagginess in your map and can (if there are an abundance of them) cause crashes from slowing down the game. A good way to prevent Memory Leaks is by using Im_On_56k's LeakCheck program.

14. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This thread no longer needs any discussion what so ever so I am locking this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.