• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BeamBall makeover / suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in sometime, but I wanted to make some changes to BeamBall 3.0. I am not sure if many of you are familiar with Beam Ball, but I would love any type of feedback from you about balancing issues, bugs, and other ideas you guys might have to make it better. For those of you who don't have the map here is the link:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/3706/

I will start work on it soon, but I want to compile a list of things that need to be worked on and some new implementations.

For those of you who are not familiar with the map let me explain the basics:

MAP NAME
Beam Ball 3.0

MAP MAKER
Draqz (me!) = )

OBJECT

The object is to make goals for your team. You do this by throwing a ball into the opposing team's goal. (the ball starts out in the middle of the court)

CLASSES

There are 4 classes each that play an important role for your team.

-you have a runner who has a weak laser, but runs fast and can avoid lasers and grenade by jumping ( can also jump over walls ect )
-you have a sweeper who is slower, has a short range laser, but makes up for it in the width of their laser (hence the name sweeper) they are also equiped with an AOE grenade
-you have a sniper who is slow, has long range and can go into "camp" mode which does 4 things: 1. Increases your range even more 2. Makes you invisible 3. Gives you a birds eye view 4. makes you immobile
-you have a brawler with a weak laser and moderate speed. They have a special melee move called "Check" which allows you to either push an enemy unit or boost a friendly unit. If an enemy unit is checked into a wall, they will instantly die. Another added bonus to brawlers is they are resistant to lasers, and it takes 3 shots of a laser before they die (they still instantly die from a grenade or being checked into a wall)

ATTRIBUTES

You also collect gold in this game, which you can use to boost your character's abilities.

-you can invest gold in athletics which makes you run faster
-you can invest gold in range which makes your laser shoot farther
-you can invest gold in width which makes your laser shoot in a wider area

in addition each class has a favored attribute

-The runner's jump is affected by how high your athletics is, you not only will run faster, you will jump farther with each upgrade
-The sweeper's grenade is affected by how high your width is, your laser not only gets wider, but your grenade will explode in a larger AOE with each upgrade
-The brawler's check is affected by how high your athletics is, you will not only run faster, you will be able to check friends or foes further.
-The sniper's camp ability is unaffected by stats, and as such, give the sniper a little more flexibility with what he might want to invest in.

MISC

A few things that should be noted:

-when you die, you are sent to jail for a short amount of time, and then re-spawn and predetermine spawn points in your own base, I can't remember off the top of my head how many seconds it is, but is long enough so that if the ball is near your base, and your whole team is dead, you should be very worried.
-there are random boosters that spawn rarely, but they give you a huge temporary increase in one of the 3 given attributes.
-there is another mode you can play, called "Beam Tag" which is a death match version of the game set in a death match arena rather than the Beam Ball arena. I honestly have not balanced the classes for death match or anything like that, death match was added that by popular demand = )

There are many more facets I am sure I am not thinking of right now, and will update this whenever I think of them

KNOW ISSUES

-For some reason, when people first play this game, they cannot for the life of them figure out they are supposed to bring the ball to the other team's base, and once they get there, they don't know what to do with it. I tried to fix that by adding an arrow that points into the goal with flames shooting into it, but it hasn't seemed to help much. 80% of the time they will grab the ball, and bring it back to their own base. I need to figure out a way so that they want to go the opposite direction with it naturally.

-People also have trouble figuring out where the ball is and who has the ball. I tried to fix this by a consistent mini map ping and a giant beam of light coming out of the player who has the ball.

-the map is flooded with snipers mostly, and they are really only good if you have 1 or so on the team. people tend to play defense much more than they play offense, I think it might be intertwined with confusion on the goal of the game.

-I want to find a way to explain this game better to new players, but I really want to avoid an opening cinematic, because this is a relatively short game, and short games with long cinematic drive me nuts, I have noticed that the most successful maps are those that throw you right into the game play, and then let the players either figure it out by themselves, or have others help them. I used to have a short description at the load screen, but no one read it and were still completely lost.

-People have a really hard time actually making goals with the ball. I wanted making goals to be difficult, but not impossible. I tried to fix this by adding a green target marker on the ground where the ball will go if they throw it, and I also added a blip noise when their target is on the goal, so they know that if they throw the ball it will be a goal.

LIST OF THINGS TO DO
add a notice to the player if they are bringing the ball the wrong way - thanks Cheeder

Last edited:
Level 6
For those who are really interested in game balance and the numbers here is a description of all the classes:

Positions:
---------------------------------
--Runner--
HP: 100
Range: 400
Width: 30
Speed: 320

Abilities:
Laser - 100 damage
Jump - Invulnerable + Ignores obstacles + Increases with speed

Description:
The main focus of the Runner is to avoid attacks and make goals for the team. They specialize in Athletics and have a special Jump ability which allows them to leap over walls and avoid attacks. The more speed a runner has increases the distance of his jump.
--Sweeper--
Width: 100
Speed: 270

Abilities:
Laser - 100 Damage
Grenade - 3 second timer AOE instant kill + Increases with Width

Description:
The Sweeper specializes in managing large areas at once. He is equiped with a wide laser as well as a devistating grenade. Investing gold into upgrading width is a smart bet for the Sweeper because Width not only increases a Sweeper's Laser, but also the area of his Grenade.
--Sniper--
Range: 960
Speed: 270

Abilities:
Laser - 100 Damage
Camp - Invisible + 500 Range + Overhead Cam + Immobilize

Description:
The Sniper is almost always defensive in nature. They usually either defend their team's goal to prevent scoring or provide cover for their allies attempting to score. They have the ability to Camp which gives them a bird's eye view of the court which allows them to see much farther and aim more accurately. While camped they gain a large range bonus and are also invisible to enemies, however the Sniper will be revealed if they fire a laser.
--Brawler--
HP:300
Speed: 295 (+10 Athletics bonus for Checking)

Abilities:
Laser - 100 Damage
Check - Push enemy into wall for instant kill -or- Boost ally

Level 5
Oh, I love beamball! I think i played it with you once a long time ago. Make sure you keep the Check ability, I love that thing.

Level 6
you could have 2 rects on either side and if someone has the ball and goes back into their base something will then happen.

You could display a message to that player only.

care to expand on that idea at all? multiple things popped into my head once you brought that idea up. Like I could have an arrow on the ground pointing to the opponent's goal and only show it to whoever is carrying the ball. Or I have a message sent to them if they are facing the wrong way for 3 or more seconds with the ball. Or try to do an image splat. I want it to be intuitive and not forced. I would prefer that the player not have to do too much reading, because they are going to need to concentrate on staying alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.