• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Odd Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Newer problems are mentioned in the comments. The initial post is solved!

Hello. I was playing around in Maya for a school project and figured I'd try to import some models to Wc3. However.. there is no converter from Maya to mdx files. So I had to do a pretty bad solution.

The test model is created in Maya:
9f08bdfef41e0fdec46874c97c0291b8.png

I save as FBX and then open it in 3DS Max to make sure it looks ok.
113fae65dfe7fdf8ff910fe5bc55f703.png

I convert from FBX to OBJ and then from OBJ to MDX. And in MDX:
6481a742f509ebdbb5d5e06fc77a4c66.png

as you see the model has been rotated without me doing anything.

Last edited:
What's odd about this? In most 3D applications, the y axis faces up, and z axis faces the screen. In Warcraft 3, the y axis faces the screen, and the z axis faces up.

This. Converting between multiple different formats is kinda like running a text through "bad translator", you will eventually end up with weird stuff.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I see. Well I have improved my converting process by a bit since apparenetly maya can save in .obj format if a certain plug in is enabled.

Anyway, I have managed to import the models to wc3 with proper rotation.. however.. one of them crash the editor when I click on it when it's placed on the grid. (the square tower to be specific)

The models themselves look as they are supposed to. They look normal in maya, in the editor, in war3viewer and in war3 model editor.

No need to comment on the texture that I found on google images.
0ca7757b5eef0ee8c9e1ddf0993aef13.png

Anyone got a clue?

Open the model in magos model editor and make sure that it has all the properties that a warcraft model needs. Some things you can try:

• Make sure that the model has at least one animation sequence. If there is none, create one.
  • Try recalculating the extents (edit>calculate extents). Extents are related to selection and rendering.
  • Open the node editor and make sure that nothing looks odd there. I know that some times, the mesh will have to be linked to a root bone to work properly ingame (but with Art Tools i've never had to worry about this).

Status
Not open for further replies.