• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Object Editor: AOE and Radius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
What does the field AOE in a spell refers to ?
Is it the radius of the circle or the area of the circle. I want to know because when I make a triggered spell and you select pick every unit in X radius from point P; you are making a circle with radius X and its centre at P.

So when I make the dummy spell AOE 500 do I pick every unit in 500 radius, less or more ?

Level 33
"area around the circle" is a vague impression.

1000 AoE -> 1000 radius, 2000 diameter.

And does this statement in any way Blizzard approves it ?

I tried using trigger to check it by creating 2 Footman at the both end of the Channel spell (1000 AOE range indicator, so each Footman is created 1000 range from the center of the target spell) but the value seems to be inaccurate if it is based on the indicator itself

Second experiment I change it to 2000 AOE, the same result came in, the position of the Footman is not precisely at the end of the indicator shown initially

I cannot get exact value of the indicator :(

Level 16
And does this statement in any way Blizzard approves it ?

I tried using trigger to check it by creating 2 Footman at the both end of the Channel spell (1000 AOE range indicator, so each Footman is created 1000 range from the center of the target spell) but the value seems to be inaccurate if it is based on the indicator itself

Second experiment I change it to 2000 AOE, the same result came in, the position of the Footman is not precisely at the end of the indicator shown initially

I cannot get exact value of the indicator :(

Indeed, I tried this test as well and happened as you said the footman was outside the Indicator circle but still green.

Level 33
The trigger picks unit around xxx range is accurate enough, the thing that is not reliable is that indicator lol

But in real gaming, people will overlook this matter seeing it just runs about 100 ~ 200 range, therefore it has no significant effect on the spell itself

I think its because the indicator takes into account unit collision size... if the unit's x,y coordinates +/- (collision size and maybe multiplied by a little factor) is inside the radius, it will consider the unit as inside the radius... just a guess...

and take note that for example if ur using the human aoe selector, the bounds of the AOE circle is the end of the faint blue light surrounding the circle, not the clear whitish blue circle...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.