[Spell] Something about radius in object editor aura and radius in GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So I created a trigger aura that damage enemies in 300 radius and I had a dummy aura to show tooltips + buff.
The Dummy aura is set to 300 in object editor but this range was somehow much larger than the 300 radius I put on the GUI trigger.
I have been able to quantify the difference is somewhere about 40-50 range units.

Why is there such a difference?
Is there anyway to calculate the difference?
Is it taking in account unit's collision size? (the unit i used to quantify the difference is 32 in collision size.)

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 69
You can use the IsUnitInRange function to account for the collision.

Level 7
You can use the IsUnitInRange function to account for the collision.

So I still have to make Dummy Special Effect with triggers?

Damn! I was hoping to avoid that.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 69
You could add a hidden ability that grants a buff to the affected units inside the periodic trigger. Then remove the ability once the units get out of range.

You can hide any ability by changing it's art - button positions to X:0, Y:-11.

This would probably look better since auras have a delay before they're applied and a lingering icon after they're removed. With triggers you could immediately remove the buff after removing the ability. Just note that the buff wouldn't appear until the first instance of damage is dealt.

Last edited:
Level 11
You could add a hidden ability that grants a buff to the affected units inside the periodic trigger. Then remove the ability once the units get out of range.

You can hide any ability by changing it's art - button positions to X:0, Y:-11.

This would probably look better since auras have a delay before they're applied and a lingering icon after they're removed. With triggers you could immediately remove the buff after removing the ability. Just note that the buff wouldn't appear until the first instance of damage is dealt.
I thought about doing this for a similar system of mine (currently using aura like OP),

but I was worried about the potential performance impact. Should it actually not be a problem, assuming all potential leaks are taken care of?

Status
Not open for further replies.