• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Oasis City (Desert Terrain Entry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Finally decided to start finishing my entry on the playable terrain contest. I doubt this is gonna be done fast but hopefully, I WILL finish it. I won't place pathing blockers though.
8.png

If you have any comments about the terrain, please say so. Negative or positive, I'll gladly take any. Comments are basically the reason I made this thread anyway.

Contest
Poll

Attachments

• Desert Terrain8.w3x
    658.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Level 4
Since I've already judged your contest entry, I can't say much :]

All I can mention is that this looks good.
Where did you post your review? I'm hoping I could read it so I could apply whatever input you say for the terrain before I finish it.

EDIT: Or maybe I can't read it before the winners are announced?

You know your way around doodad construction. The details on the roofs are particularly nice.

This could turn into something really good if you finish it.
I hope it would turn out great, as you say. I'm still learning as I go, so some things might not end up very good. I still don't have that much resources with me either, so I can't really add as much detail as I want to.

Current Progress:
10.png

EDIT: Am I breaking some site rule by making this thread before the contest winners are announced? I haven't seen the results yet so hopefully this is okay.

Attachments

• Desert Terrain10.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Going well so far. If it is a scenic type terrain, then I would advice you to not put too many doodads behind the camera's angle you've chosen.
Saves you a lot of trouble.

I do like the whole Medieval Byzantium/Babylon hybrid look. The tiles, no so much. Same goes for the walls tonality since the tint could've been lowered and adjusted slightly to somehow match the city's overall style.

Also, if you're going for the alpha tile under the water parts, do try to make reflections for the city.
fladdermasken did a pretty good tutorial on that just in case you'd try that.

All in all, good call. It is certainly miles better than what you provided for the contest. Which, if you haven't noticed by now, can be found here.

Level 4
That is just sweet. The whole thing has such a powerful design! You should've finished it in time for the contest man. Won't it get laggy with all those water doodads covering such a large oasis (plus city buildings and stuff)?

I just couldn't finish it in time because of work. Besides, I was just designing as I go so I doubt not having work would have helped me either. Haha.

Also, I doubt the map would turn out laggy since I'm only using lq models. I'm a bit iffy on the starcraft rocks i'm using but other than that, I think it'll be fine.

Going well so far. If it is a scenic type terrain, then I would advice you to not put too many doodads behind the camera's angle you've chosen.
Saves you a lot of trouble.

I do like the whole Medieval Byzantium/Babylon hybrid look. The tiles, no so much. Same goes for the walls tonality since the tint could've been lowered and adjusted slightly to somehow match the city's overall style.

Also, if you're going for the alpha tile under the water parts, do try to make reflections for the city.
fladdermasken did a pretty good tutorial on that just in case you'd try that.

All in all, good call. It is certainly miles better than what you provided for the contest. Which, if you haven't noticed by now, can be found here.

By scenic, you mean those terrain made with one camera angle in mind right?

Since I made this for the playable terrain contest, I intend to keep it looking good with any camera angles. I'll try to cover the map with the necessary details but I'll still try to keep watch on the number of doodads I'm placing. I have also read the reflection tutorial, but I think it's unnecessary for this map. The water tiles I'm using is basically the vanilla water tile so making a 'still' reflection would look a bit unnatural.

Thanks for the input though, I'll try to finish the map this weekend. Hopefully, it will looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.