• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Northwood Company

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Northwood Company - Test/Demonstration Version

I've decided to quit working on this project, and any project on Warcraft 3. I feel the game is aging a lot, so I am switching my map projects to Starcraft 2. My goal is to eventually make Northwood Company on Starcraft 2, using this version as a starting point. I have already starting playing around with various new ideas in Starcraft 2, and the possibilities are so much more promising. So here is version Test5, and I will be working on a Starcraft 2 version in the meantime. Once its ready to test, I'll be sure to release it.

-==New Stuff==-
- Added the ability to sell any vehicle, gunship, boat, or battle armor for 25% of the unit's buy cost.

-==Changes==-
- Worked on the terrain a bit, its not amazing but its at least more than just sand now.
- The starting island and the island south of it are now connected so ground units can move between them.
- Added some ambient sounds and effects, such as water waves, seagulls, and the music fades at night now.
- Added some critters
- Redistributed some of the Jackal's stats, hopefully making it more balanced
- Changed Mission 6, the Counterattack mission. Made an enemy group drop on the east side of the island, increased the enemy number by 10, and added more variety to their groups.

-==Bug Fixes==-
- Fixed a bug where the Seeker wasn't properly receiving upgrade benefits

-==Notes==-
- What I feel is best about this version so far is the environment. I really wanted to touch on the island theme a lot more, since the versions before really just consisted of sand and the occasional tree. Beaches now have the sound of the ocean waves, and in one area in particular it feels more like a jungle. Now that I feel comfortable with how most of the game works, I can focus on this piece as I expand the game.

-==New Stuff==-
- Footmen can now learn First Aid via the Blacksmith, which allows them to heal themselves and others
- New Engineering Item - Mobile HQ, gives various means of support to nearby units, and can repair friendly units. And yes, it does improve your turrets.

-==Changes==-
- Changed almost every unit attack/armor type in the game
- Attack and armor types will now specify their strengths/weaknesses
- Passenger-Mounted Turrets now deal less damage, but their attack type is Heavy (new type)
- Increased the damage of Missile Towers, but reduced the attack speed a little. Now they are actually a threat.
- Increased the attack speed of Missile Troops
- Reduced the HP of Armed Transports a little
- You can now toggle the locked camera on and off
- The Footman hero icon will now show your footman's health
- Added a tooltip for the Jackal

Gunships
Gunships are getting a serious makeover. The gunship code was the first version of the vehicle code I wrote, and now it is horribly behind in efficiency compared to the newer versions. In short, I'm going to redo gunship triggers, which will cause the following changes.
- You can now own more than one gunship, just like vehicles and boats.
- Gunships can now fire while landed/landing, so long as the driver is inside.
- Adding the ability for gunship pilots to bail out in mid air. Still working on the details, but I'm expecting it to be pretty interesting/funny/dramatic.
- Camera and selection problems should be dramatically reduced with gunships.
- Lastly, these new changes allow me to be significantly more creative with gunship abilities. Expect some more cool things to happen.

Vehicles
- Increased the HP of all Light-Class Vehicles.
- Players can now board and drive their own boats while inside a vehicle.
- The greatly neglected Swiftwind is getting some spice, flaunting the new ability Hack Sentry Gun. Engineers with a Swiftwind will now be able to temporarily control an enemy Sentry Gun for a duration based on their Engineering Skill level.
- Redid the Cobra, removing the Flamethrower and Auto Fire spells and just making its normal attack pretty much the same thing. It has an attack-type of Elemental, no longer has or uses mana, and has the new ability Rapid Fire. Hopefully you'll be giving the Cobra another chance now :).
- The Lancer now can get the Shrapnel Missiles ability, making it deal greater damage to Ranged and Unarmored enemies. Excellent for dealing with those pesky riflemen or missile teams.
- The FRV now has a *very* useful ability, Emergency Revival, which allows it to revive a nearby dead ally. This along with its already existing ability to quickly heal allies inside of it should make this vehicle very useful.
- Greatly improved the Demolisher, giving it a strong splash attack and an auto turret.

-==Bug Fixes==-
- The FRV now correctly has a cost.
- Fixed a bug involving jumping out of a gunship with a Jackal and parachute
- Changed some things so now all auto turrets will fire on landed gunships and docked transport boats
- Fixed a bug where having safety on with a gunship would cause all your units unable to attack

-==Notes==-
- I'm really trying to refine the game up to this point, with emphasis on gunships, and vehicles. Gonna show some love to these branches and try to make them more fun.
- You can now drive a boat with your vehicle, while driving that vehicle with a battle armor, while driving the battle armor with your footman. Its pretty funny but also awesome.
- Lots of people have suggested adding a PvP aspect to the game, and it sounds pretty interesting to me. Let me know your thoughts on this, and if enough people are interested, I may add something.

New Stuff
- A loading screen!
- A minimap image!
- Players will now be able to purchase supply drops, and call them to drop on their position.
- Added new light vehicle: FRV (fast recovery vehicle), light medical vehicle
- Added new heavy vehicle: Razorback
- Added new Engineer-Focus, the Jackal. Ideally, this won't make the engineer a stronger choice than a footman, but will give it a ranged attack.
- Vehicles can now store items
- South-eastern island is now playable. (Somewhat)
- New item - Jumper Cables, dead players can now be revived by other players if done quickly enough, avoiding the death gold loss.

Changes
- Changed some of the mission enemies to incorporate vehicles, rather than turrets.
- Changed the portraits of the Gyrocopter models (i.e. Clanker and Danger Close)
- Repair skill is now enabled and upgraded by defensive engineering
- Reduced the cost of upgrades for all 5 trees.

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug where vehicle armor upgrades didn't correctly apply.
- Fixed a bug where dropping a wrench while still holding another wrench would disable repair.
- Fixed a bug where dropping a flintlock while still holding another flintlock would disable auto fire.
- Fixed a bug where picking up a flintlock would cause the footman's movement speed to slow.
- Possibly fixed the bug causing some player's screen to go black.

Notes
- The Razorback is in the game, but not acquirable yet. I felt it would be unfair if the vehicles got a heavy before anyone else.
- The Southeast Island is playable but there isn't much to do there yet. Still working on the idea of what I'm going to do.
- Was planning on adding undead enemies this version, but decided to wait. Undead might be on the chopping block.
- The Jackal doesn't have its description yet, but its pretty straight forward.

Known Bugs
- Jumping out of a gunship inside a Jackal with a parachute equipped will cause your guy to be stuck in limbo.

New Stuff
- Added Quest Log with details on controls, and Secondary Objectives.
- To exit a vehicle as a passenger, now you press F3, or click on the Exit Vehicle button in the top-left corner.
- To mount a passenger turret, now you press F2, or click on the Mount Turret button in the top-left corner.

New Stuff
- Added new light vehicle - Lancer, fast anti-air vehicle
- Added new light boat - Seeker, anti-ground boat

Changes
- Removed Medium-Classed Vehicles and Gunships from the base, I'm going to use them at a later point in the game.
- Gave the Longbow's ground attack a small splash effect.
- Increases the damage done by the Flintlock to 75, up from 60.
- Reduced cost of Armed Transport
- Changed the Frigate to a light-class Boat.
- Your footman or vehicle should no longer run away when being shot by something it can't hit.
- Created a boundary so players won't wander around in the unfinished bottom-right area.

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug involving the passenger-mounted turrets not working correctly.

About
Northwood Company is a game in which 8 players working for a Mercenary faction will work together to accomplish missions given by the Northwood Company's Command, or from discovering randomly-placed/generated missions throughout the map. Players do NOT have to complete any mission (none will result in a "game over" if failed or ignored), but some missions will make things more difficult for players if not accomplished (i.e. defending a base, results in losing nearby buy options, healing, etc).

--=Chronological Missions=--
Clear the Base Island of Missile Towers (contains random elements)
Destroy Southern Enemy Base
Destroy 3 Hostile Gunships
Defend Allied Base1 from Hostile Counter-attack
Investigate/Repair/Defend Allied Base2

The Highlight
Players will control a single non-hero footman throughout the game, but this footman can be highly customized to suit a wide variety of roles, and can pilot vehicles purchased from the Northwood Company. Roles include Infantry/Paratrooper, Engineering, Armor/Vehicle Pilot, Gunship Pilot, and Naval Captain (boat focus).

The player can choose to improve any of these roles by purchasing upgrades, items, or vehicles, and does NOT have to stick with any single role. The idea is the player can take multiple roles (example, engineer and gunship pilot) but will be not will not be as good as someone who focuses all their resources on a single role.

Gunships, Boats, Vehicles
Any vehicle owned by a player requires they be driven by their footman pilot, but players can also ride passenger in any allied vehicle. Players can use teamwork to drop troops/tanks onto an island using a transport boat, or paratroopers can jump out of another player's gunship. In some cases, passengers can even use weapons on the other player's vehicle to attack (some gunships come with passenger-mounted turrets).

--=Gunships=--

Light Gunships
GS00 "Clanker"
GS02 "Danger Close"
GS03 "Night Shade"
GS04 "Peeper"

Medium Gunships
GS01 "Falcon"
GS05 "Double Thunder"

Heavy Gunships

Assault Gunships

--=Boats=--

Light Boats
Transport Boat
Armed Transport
Seeker
Frigate

Medium Boats
Crusader (in development)
Javelin (in development)

Heavy Boats
Warlord (in development)

Assault Boats

--=Vehicles=--

Light Vehicles
Swiftwind
Cobra
Lancer
Shark (in development, possibly not going to make the cut)
FRV

Medium Vehicles
Demolisher
Longbow
Bulldog (in development)

Heavy Vehicles
Razorback (in development)

Assault Vehicles

--=Battle Armor=--

Light Battle Armor
Jackal

Bonus Objectives
Most of these are randomly spawned. Players can high-jack enemy Supply Ships and bring them back to base for a gold reward to the entire team, or players can destroy Supply Tents also for a team gold reward. Other objectives include finding and destroying hidden enemy bases/airfields, rescuing Northwood Company Pilots stranded in hostile territory, etc.

--=Bonus Objectives=--
Capture Supply Ships
Destroy Supply Tents
Destroy Enemy Scouts (Swiftwind, Peeper)

--=Discoverable Missions=--
Destroy Hostile Airfield
Rescue Pilot1 (contains random elements)
Rescue Pilot2 (contains random elements)

Items, Equipment, Upgrades
Items can be purchased to improve your footman's capabilities, such as a Flintlock Pistol, RPG, Parachute, or Wrench. Upgrades can vastly improve your footman or any vehicle's stats, allowing players to choose what they really want to focus on. Certain items are even improved from certain upgrades (i.e. Gun Turrets improved from Engineering Skill).

Infantry Focus
Bandage
Flintlock
Flintlock Ammo
Small Seaforium Charges
Parachute
Jumper Cables

Engineer Focus
Wrench
Sentry Gun
Mobile HQ
RPG

Thanks To
Right now I don't have any quest log or credits in game at all, but these are the people who's resources I used: Domokun, NatDis, Gyrosphinx, Kurt, Lord_T, anarchianbedlam, Mc !, Ket, JetFangInferno.

If you spot a resource that's yours and I forgot to mention you, please let me know immediately! I promise you this is because I'm an airhead and not because I'm trying to rob you of credit.

Music and Game's Inspiration: MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries, an incredible game, way ahead of its time.

LASTLY
This is a TEST VERSION, the game is NOWHERE NEAR complete, not even 1/3 complete I'd like to say. This map is PROTECTED, and if you have any comments, questions, or reports, feel free to post them on the comments below.

Keywords:
Northwood Company, northwood, company, mercenary, mercenaries, team, action, vehicle, gunship, combat, mission, test
Contents

Northwood Company (Map)

Reviews
19:27, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 5
That's a secondary mission. There're no attacks and the only reward is the chance to use the base. Also, there're better vehicles in that base.

Level 1
So is defending main base the final mainline mission int he map? We explored the entire map and see no more ~"~
There should be secrets quest/events in this map IMO, it's too good to be this short :D

Level 5
It's supposed to be a beta to test the systems of the game and then make a much bigger and longer map afterwards, but it seems like the creator stopped working on it.

Level 6
As it says on the front page, I've stopped working on this. I'm planning on making a similar game on Starcraft 2.

To answer your question, the last actual mission is the base defense one. The mission to repair the base is unfinished, but I was planning on doing something with it. I had a lot of plans actually, and I'm considering putting a few more things in at some point in time.

Level 2
Hello. I'm a big fan of this map, and I've just found a glitch. My friend gave me control of him, and then suddenly we could control all alllied units on the map! Crazy or what?

1. Northwood Company footmen storming a small Southseas Mecenary base.
2. Northwood Company close in on a Southseas Mecenary base.
3. The troopers demolish a camp from the face of the earth.
4. The troops head back to base.

P.S. I'd show you pictures but it says there's an error. :(

Level 5
This map seems cancelled ><.
The creator is going to use the same concepts in a SC2 map, though.