• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Northwood Company - Teamwork/Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Northwood Company - Test/Demonstration Version

About
Northwood Company is a game in which 8 players working for a Mercenary faction will work together to accomplish missions given by the Northwood Company's Command, or from discovering randomly-placed/generated missions throughout the map. Players do NOT have to complete any mission (none will result in a "game over" if failed or ignored), but some missions will make things more difficult for players if not accomplished (i.e. defending a base, results in losing nearby buy options, healing, etc).

The Highlight
Players will control a single non-hero footman throughout the game, but this footman can be highly customized to suit a wide variety of roles, and can pilot vehicles purchased from the Northwood Company. Roles include Infantry/Paratrooper, Engineering, Armor/Vehicle Pilot, Gunship Pilot, and Naval Captain (boat focus).

The player can choose to improve any of these roles by purchasing upgrades, items, or vehicles, and does NOT have to stick with any single role. The idea is the player can take multiple roles (example, engineer and gunship pilot) but will be not will not be as good as someone who focuses all their resources on a single role.

Gunships, Boats, Vehicles
Any vehicle owned by a player requires they be driven by their footman pilot, but players can also ride passenger in any allied vehicle. Players can use teamwork to drop troops/tanks onto an island using a transport boat, or paratroopers can jump out of another player's gunship. In some cases, passengers can even use weapons on the other player's vehicle to attack (some gunships come with passenger-mounted turrets).

Bonus Objectives
Most of these are randomly spawned. Players can high-jack enemy Supply Ships and bring them back to base for a gold reward to the entire team, or players can destroy Supply Tents also for a team gold reward. Other objectives include finding and destroying hidden enemy bases/airfields, rescuing Northwood Company Pilots stranded in hostile territory, etc.

Items, Equipment, Upgrades
Items can be purchased to improve your footman's capabilities, such as a Flintlock Pistol, RPG, Parachute, or Wrench. Upgrades can vastly improve your footman or any vehicle's stats, allowing players to choose what they really want to focus on. Certain items are even improved from certain upgrades (i.e. Gun Turrets improved from Engineering Skill).

Thanks To
Right now I don't have any quest log or credits in game at all, but these are the people who's resources I used: Domokun, NatDis, Gyrosphinx, Kurt, Lord_T, anarchianbedlam, Mc !, Ket, JetFangInferno.

If you spot a resource that's yours and I forgot to mention you, please let me know immediately! I promise you this is because I'm an airhead and not because I'm trying to rob you of credit.

Music and Game's Inspiration: MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries, an incredible game, way ahead of its time.

LASTLY
This is a TEST VERSION, the game is NOWHERE NEAR complete, not even 1/3 complete I'd like to say. This map is PROTECTED, and if you have any comments, questions, or reports, feel free to post them on the comments on the map page.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/northwood-company-162675/

Level 6
This is actually pretty nice idea :) Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks, glad to hear some positive support for once, lol.
I may have forgot to point out that I have a working test map up, its very playable and shows off all the features detailed above.

Would really appreciate you guys testing it out and telling me what you think, and also would love to hear some new ideas to throw in. My map runs off of neat ideas, and could always use more!:mwahaha:

Status
Not open for further replies.