• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Non-projectile, unit-targeted damaging ability with no side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 39
Seems like someone should have asked this before but I didn't see it in a cursory search. I'm looking for a base ability with the following properties:
  1. Unit-targeted and not an AoE effect
  2. Deals damage (not a healing spell with negative healing)
  3. Does not use a projectile (and is therefore instant once cast)
  4. Does not apply any visual effects or buffs (like Shadow Strike's damage text, Frost Nova's blue tint, or a silence effect like Soul Burn/Doom)
  5. Is not target restricted (Holy Light can only damage undead units but is otherwise what I want)
Is Finger of Death the only such spell (it explodes units on death but otherwise satisfies these conditions)? Other thoughts:
  • Abilities with buffs and effects set to 0.01 duration are not acceptable unless they would literally not be visible or affect the target in any way.
  • Acid Bomb and Chain Lightning both fail #3 because they have projectiles.
  • Unstable Concoction satisfies all but kills the caster, which could be acceptable in some cases.
  • Forked Lightning with targets set to 1 would work if the targeted unit is guaranteed to be the first chosen target every time, but I don't know if it is.
  • Life Drain with a very short duration?

Last edited:
Level 3
You can Chain Lightning, changing the Number of Targets to 1, or you can use a properly set up Channel and deal damage through a simple trigger.

Level 39
Chain Lightning has a projectile speed and isn't instant (the lightning effect is but there's a projectile that actually does the damage).

Damaging a unit with a trigger isn't what I want, because I want the spell cast to be constrained by normal things like armor type damage reduction, resistant skin, spell shield, etc.. I am fully aware that if I wanted to I could also account for all of these special cases with additional effort as well as using an attack-/damage-type combo that is properly accounted for in armor reduction... but that's not the point of my question here.

Level 39
Doesn't change anything, Chain Lightning seems to always have a 0.25s delay between "starts the effect" firing and damage being dealt.
  • A dummy with proper instant-cast setup doesn't change this.
  • Projectile speed at default 1500, maximum 10000, and minimum 0 all have the same delay between the event and when the unit takes damage.
  • The same dummy casting Holy Light on the same target does achieve a 0.00 delay between cast and damage so it's 100% the base spell not some setting for the caster.
Acid Bomb damage delay does decrease with projectile speed, but setting it to 0 achieves the same speed/delay as setting it to the maximum 10000 so again it isn't instant.

Level 39
Alright, why not simply using a Unit-Target Channel ability with triggers for damage dealing then?
Please read what I have already replied the first time you suggested this.
Damaging a unit with a trigger isn't what I want, because I want the spell cast to be constrained by normal things like armor type damage reduction, resistant skin, spell shield, etc.. I am fully aware that if I wanted to I could also account for all of these special cases with additional effort as well as using an attack-/damage-type combo that is properly accounted for in armor reduction... but that's not the point of my question here.
I'm not looking for a workaround. I am asking: is Finger of Death the only such ability that satisfies this, or are there other things I am not considering? It seems weird that there's literally only one spell with no side effects and I'd never thought about it before.

Edit: Never mind, FoD has a side effect: units killed by it explode on death. So only Forked Lightning if it works properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.