• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New update to WC3 - 1.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes, which are very limited in community size. I am complaining about all the nutters who say that custom games as millions times better there than on normal battlenet. If all such people went back to battlenet they will soon forget about the service and realize it was a waste of time.

Level 48
Garena people never join anything new or anything with lots of players. In the past, I could maybe play an Azeroth Wars once a month or so, now NO ONE joins my hosts. Neither do they join the older(and better) versions of Werewolf: Transylvania or many other good games. All that Garena seems to know about is DotA, Naruto\Anime games and Footmen Wars with the occasional Avatar Arena or TTW.

Level 11
Garena people never join anything new or anything with lots of players. In the past, I could maybe play an Azeroth Wars once a month or so, now NO ONE joins my hosts. Neither do they join the older(and better) versions of Werewolf: Transylvania or many other good games. All that Garena seems to know about is DotA, Naruto\Anime games and Footmen Wars with the occasional Avatar Arena or TTW.

+Vampirism Speed
+Troll Vs Elves

Edit:
+Tom and Jerry
+DOTA LOD

Level 22
Just because lots of people use it does not make a good reason for its existance. The services use should only extended to individuals who want to play in restricted groups. Any large population has no reason at all to be using it as battlenet offers exactly the same features it does but nativly intigrated (thus faster).

Luckilly Blizzard has fixed such problems from ever occuring again thanks to no LAN and BattleNet 2.0.

Faster? You must be kidding. The reason why it is prefered is exactly that it is much faster and the connection much better. Let me rephrase - the connection is like playing single player vs computer! Well if you play Chinese ofc it will need some host good for both but it's again 100 times better than say hosting or playing with Chinese on bnet. And again it's without delay when I've played vs Asians.

As much as you protect Bnet 1.0 it has lost its advantages other than ladder compared to Garena. As for Bnet 2.0, yes they made better connection and hosting there is normal, I don't think it can get any better so it eliminates the need for Garena. But connection on War3 bnet is terrible, even 1 sec delay matters. And Im saying that as someone who has often and still is used for host, my connection isn't bad.

Fore general custom games, maybe, it's more played in Bnet. And what happens in bnet? Random noobs play 3 minute and leave, also lag the hell out throughout the game - have fun playing bnet. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's bad or worse, actuallyt better. The numbers who use it speak for themselves and while there r people who dont have original war3 use it, all players I know and play with do have original war3 and still prefer garena.

And also people that play in the rpg rooms play YOUR custom games without the stupid host bots that cost money to run if you want a desent one(correct me if im rong). Garena has let me experienced what b.net cauld most likely never let me experience with my custom maps and let the real people tell me what they think of my maps(and almost all of what people say are great!).
The only disapointing thing about Garena is that the players are not forced to update there Wc3 before playing because I love the wide system graphics that i wont beable to experience in game play at the moment there 0_0.
I like Garena because of the seprate rooms that let the poeple experience a more variety of newer maps instead of just the same old boring game they like to play forever.
But overall I must agree that both B.net and Garena still need improvments in some to many sectiones!:p

Level 22
We're talking about 2 diff things here: general custom games, and the rest being dota and melee. So for your games maybe you're right is easier to host on Bnet when it's less populated and people can see your new version. Again, how do you deal with someone constant lagging and leavers? At least don't lag in Garena. For melee and Dota though, nothing beats garena. Also in Garena anyone can host, simply cause it is LAN based unlike Bnet where you need static IP..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Faster? You must be kidding. The reason why it is prefered is exactly that it is much faster and the connection much better. Let me rephrase - the connection is like playing single player vs computer! Well if you play Chinese ofc it will need some host good for both but it's again 100 times better than say hosting or playing with Chinese on bnet. And again it's without delay when I've played vs Asians.

In SWAT AM bots hosted in the US I have under a 100 ms delay on battlenet. Which is the absoulte best you can get considering my internet comes through a wire birds sit on and it has to cross a huge ocean.

Garena is not faster because it has the exact same restrictions applied to it as games hosted by bots on battlenet. It used to be faster only because of battlenet default hosting settings being crap compared to those LAN used but bots fixed that all. Any other speed benifits must be because you are playing with local players only (within same country as you) so have less ping (which can happen on normal battlenet as well).

Also in Garena anyone can host, simply cause it is LAN based unlike Bnet where you need static IP..
Can you please get your facts straight... Battlenet needed you to foward the options set hosting port if you were under some form of firewall (which most systems are). I can host on my dynamic IP address, just I eithor need to make my local IP static or update the port foward to my variable local IP each time I want to host.

Garena IS NOT LAN.
It fowards the LAN connection through the internet thus it is bound by the same conectivity rates as battlenet is. The major difference is it probably uses (fowards the LAN packages to) ports that do not need fowarding or automatically fowards the nescescary ports to host (like torrent clients do). It also may have security risks associated to it (like giving hackers access to your LAN through the internet) depending on how securly it is designed.

A LAN is a Local Area Network which is usally created eia withor a wirless network or via joining computers together with ethanet cables. A local area network functions without an internet connection and need not have internet connection access across it. In my case my local area network between me and my families computers do have internet access because we use broadband which is attached to the local area network. The local area network however is not a subset of the internet nor is the internet a subset of the local area network, the computer treats them totally differently for security reasons.

I can transfer files accross my LAN at 1 gigabit per second but only to computers on the LAN. When accessing the internet I do have 1 gigabit to the internet connection (modem they are called even in the case of broadband) but after that point my speed is bottleknecked by the internet connection itself (a few kilobits in my case for uploading). Ofcouse if I lived in some city with fiberoptic broadband or cable, I could get much much faster internet connection rates. Even to such an extent that the ethanet cable itself would bottlekneck the speed (in the case of server centres). Thus when using Garena, do not think your LAN speed is the speed everyone plays with you at.

Also, I had no problem with battlenet 5 years ago. There were tons of players online and few dropped.

Level 22
Like for absolutely everything you are theorizng, if you take the approach of Practice, you will reach further. The host bots.. yes I forgot about them. They are a new thing inthe last 1-2 years when I stopped using bnet that indeed allow relatively normal play but NOTHING compared to garena.

Again you speak how it's faster than Garena, have you tried playing Garena game before you talk or is it just your theory? I never said Garena is LAN. Well im not gonna argue how it works as I don't know fully. More important is the result: much better connection than playing bnet. Garena beats bots in conncetion/ although bots are a whole new story of playing bnet compared to bnet on the pure bnet latency.

Level 22
So instead of testing which runs smoothlier, you will continue to make theories how it's better instead of trying it? That's not even science, science works with experiments thatd give facts. Garena isn't a 'dangerous evil server where someone may steal your CD key that is SO valuable today...'. Well if you like theorizing instead of seeing the facts, that's up to you.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The fact is you lack any evidence proving it is faster and I any defienitive evidence proving otherwise. I can however support my argument with non disputable facts from computer science which is a form of evidence.

The fact is that all communication through the internet follows the same rules and restrictions. The only reason it used to be faster was due to software limits the game enforces onto latency and communication rate. Bots however have removed such limits thus its speed benifit no longer exists. If anything it will be slower as your machine has to use software to bridge a LAN interface with the internet which consumes additional resources (threads listening on sockets waiting for communications and threads sending off communications).

Sadly it is abuse like Garena that has caused modern games to no longer support LAN play. Nice going guys.

Level 15
To settle the speed argument as a user of both Garena and Battle.net, I will say it's a complete and utter draw.

Yes, Garena advertises that it gives you better speed because it's LAN (which DSG explained to be false quite well if I might add) and for the most part, games go well. However, Garena in of itself isn't perfect for speed and connectivity. I have played countless games on a shitty hose on Garena where I have 1-2 second delay. I've played games on Garena where my ping to the host is shittier than a hosting bot on battle.net

At the same time, I've played on battle.net with shittier host pings than on garena.

At the end of the day, they're essentially the same. Garena has a better format for hosting and makes it easier to boost connection via tunneling, however Battle.net's hosting bots make it completely even. You gain no true benefit from using either one when it comes to hosting speed because both Garena and Battle.net have shitty hosts and good hosts.

Level 22
The fact is you lack any evidence proving it is faster and I any defienitive evidence proving otherwise. I can however support my argument with non disputable facts from computer science which is a form of evidence.

The fact is that all communication through the internet follows the same rules and restrictions. The only reason it used to be faster was due to software limits the game enforces onto latency and communication rate. Bots however have removed such limits thus its speed benifit no longer exists. If anything it will be slower as your machine has to use software to bridge a LAN interface with the internet which consumes additional resources (threads listening on sockets waiting for communications and threads sending off communications).

Sadly it is abuse like Garena that has caused modern games to no longer support LAN play. Nice going guys.

I have played both on Bnet hostbots and Garena, how do I lack evidence? That's my point of saying 'in practice'. You have only tried it through bots you haven't used Garena, yet you make arguments about which is better?

And it's interesting you dis Garena although indeed Blizzard don't like it, despite being the place where all play. But at the same time you say it's OK to have bots in bnet, well Blizzard don't like that either. So of you say 'No' to third parties you can't say 'yes' to hostbots.

@En_Fungeo yes, it's no strict rule that one is better it's relative. I've played vs French guy in Garena, im east Europe, I say fine let's play on your host. And it lagged more than on bnet. On the other hand, others with good connection like some Germans have indeed like Single Player 0 latency. Hostbots are a whole new level of bnet. Why didn't they make them earlier years. Garena is just used because you can host, you dont need static IP and many other reasons. But I agree it is relative which is better.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Garena is just used because you can host, you dont need static IP and many other reasons.
Neithor do you for battlenet. You just need to have network administrative rights (which most privite individuals do) and enough knowledge to use google. Garena probably automates the process like torrent clients do by requesting firewall port fowards etc or using ports that have less strict firewall settings on them. WC3 does not do this automatically as it was made back in the days of dialup being the most common connection before all the firewall port security was implimented into home networks.

Modern games like SC2 allow everyone to host. Although it is not clear if Battlenet uses bot like hosts or not.

Level 1
Tome of Experience to go, and I'm tempted to agree; it's an annoying item. The Blademaster also needed a nerf on his stats and not the Wind Walk ability.

Level 1
Yah, That's why I hate Registry Keys. Damn it!

Well I don't really care about the update as long as I get to play my Warcraft. LOL...
Oh and I like how they actually added a more decent size wise for the Warcraft game, and meaning making it actually better than having a smaller screen for it.
My setting go to 2400x1152 for my screen can go to in which I love, and having the setting for Warcraft, makes it so much awesome for it.

Level 19
Actually, as long as it's Warcraft III (And hopefully Blizzard gets the profit to upgrade the game more), I wouldn't mind whichever server it is, although I personally play on Battle.Net (I have a clan that is very busy) most of the time and Garena only with friends.

Any server (Even Hamachi) which helps Warcraft III to stay popular, advanced and fun to play = I Like.

Status
Not open for further replies.