• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Rules & Policies for the Media Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
newpolicy.png
When we first upgraded to Hive 2.0 (XenForo) we never imagined just how much our community would use the Media Gallery albums and the way you do it today :peasant-victory:
Members are increasingly using the Media Gallery albums to showcase their various projects e.g. posting WIP's of their models and skins, screenshots of Warcraft 3 terrain, concept art, 3D animations etc. We absolutely love this! Keep them coming!
However, we never established rules or guidelines for it. Because of this negelct some members started using the Media Gallery for image hosting, posting memes or simply uploaded pictures randomly found on the internet :peasant-confused:
We never intended the Media Gallery to be used for the such purposes. Which is why we are introducing a new set of rules & policies for the Media Gallery albums - to clean it up!

WARNING - We will begin deleting images on July 10th (on hold for now) that violate the following rules. However, disciplinary action will not be taken against members that have uploaded pictures prior to these new policies.

UPDATE - We are currently working on a diffrent solution. But no guarantees yet.

Members of the Hive Workshop can create albums to upload pictures or embed videoclips. These pictures are all showcased in our Media Gallery and on your own profile page in your respective album.

The guidelines and rules listed below explain which content is allowed and/or prohibited when using the Media Gallery feature. The generel site rules still apply. Members of the Hive are encouraged to report any violation of these policies. We reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case by case basis.

ALLOWED CONTENT

Any content in relation to Warcraft or Starcraft is allowed. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Maps
  • Terrain
  • Spells
  • Models
  • Skins
  • Concept Art
Other non-Blizzard related craft and artwork is allowed as well. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Drawings
  • Paintings
  • Sculpting
  • Graphic Designs
  • 3D Art

PROHIBITED CONTENT

IMAGE STORAGE / HOSTING

Do not use the Media Gallery to store images for URL's. Use our Pastebin instead for such purpose.

MEMES / RANDOM PICTURES
Do not use the media gallery to upload pictures of memes or other random pictures you've found online. Use our Something Else board instead for such purpose. Any pictures that are found to be in violation of these policies will be deleted without warning. If your picture is deleted and you disagree with the decision, feel free to contact the administration team by posting in our Admin Contact forum.

In some rare circumstances the staff may allow a picture or video even though it doesn't adhere to the above policies

Last edited:
Level 7
What about gaming albums like mine?

Or about pictures related to Hive projects, artwork created with Inkarnate like worldmaps and loading screens?
Also, what about Hive "memes", like moments that were born in Hive Chat?

The rule is not very clear on that.
Same goes to my albums at least, just like my non-Blizzard ones it seems like.

Dang. :cconf:

edit:
note that i can't do Facebook or Twitter or anything to do all this... "media" stuff y'know. :am:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
What about gaming albums like mine?
Yes, I'm afraid that those have no place in the Media Gallery. Also I'm interested in hearing why you would use the Hive for those images? Pictures of random games? You could use the Pastebin for those images instead.

Or about pictures related to Hive projects, artwork created with Inkarnate like worldmaps and loading screens?
Depends on what you mean by "Hive projects". Well, worldmaps from Inkarnate, for instance, if related to a modding project it is allowed :)

Also, what about Hive "memes", like moments that were born in Hive Chat?
Use the Something Else forum. However:

In some rare circumstances the staff may allow a picture or video even though it doesn't adhere to the above policies

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Also I'm interested in hearing why you would use the Hive for those images? Pictures of random games? You could use the Pastebin for those images instead.
No reason, really. Originally I started doing this in the old forum, removed the Album and brought it back to share some stuff.
I know I could have used a thread in gaming/OT forum instead, I used the album because it could be kept far cleaner than any of the OT forums which tend to be spammed by people with nonsense.
Which is a reason why I disagree with this rule, btw.
I am not against stricter media rules but this pretty much targets people who have not done anything harmful in the Media section, which by the way, is still quite clean in comparison to others.

Last edited:
Reactions: San

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
That amigo, is why we establish these new rules to prevent any random, irrelevant content.
First, I am not your amigo.
Second, there is no reason to talk down to me like that. I disagree with your rule, I did not personally attack you. If I wanted to personally attack you, I would say that you are only putting this rule in here because you want more attention for your terrain pictures, which I am not.
This is what is happening to the Media Gallery. Hence the new rules to clean it up.
If you want to "clean up", I advise you to take a closer look at OT first rather than the Media section.
There is much more that required some work in comparison to the media gallery.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
First, I am not your amigo.
Second, there is no reason to talk down to me like that. I disagree with your rule, I did not personally attack you. If I wanted to personally attack you, I would say that you are only putting this rule in here because you want more attention for your terrain pictures, which I am not.
I apologize. I meant no disrespect nor did I mean to talk down to you. I'm sorry for that misconception.
However, now I must ask you to conduct yourself in a civilized manner. There is no need for such accusations which I guarantee you is not the case.

Level 7
Moderation on the media and albums? whoa..

well, when you folks get to me, can you tell me which images are not exactly meant to be there? because i do have a few that i would like keeping, if that's alright xP
Speaking of that, @Misha.
I might be scheduling Thursday tomorrow for me backing up memory (to history if i get a missing word in my life right) from inside of my media posts and images not meant to supposed to be on via the need of notepad (for texts) and/or snipping tool (for webpages of my media posts getting away from me during deletion) that during this badly while on computer to browser. :(

Your media posts to images might have comments in them, thus, they can missed horribly along everyone's posts rather.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I apologize. I meant no disrespect nor did I mean to talk down to you. I'm sorry for that misconception.
However, now I must ask you to conduct yourself in a civilized manner. There is no need for such accusations which I guarantee you is not the case.
Alright, apology accepted & returned. As I said, I was NOT claiming this to be the case.

Now, please also refer to the other half of my post as well.

In addition, I assume the rules apply to public and private albums alike?

Level 14
I think I will stop uploading memes, hot girls, non-warcraft stuff, and my loony bin stuff will be binned hahaha like a bin in a big bin.
I will shut down my Loony Bin Album or the Album of the Loony.

Though, I could showcase wippy wippy and screenies of big ol' project of mine because sometime soon it will come to hive. :)

P.s.
The nu rulez makes sense because hiveworkshop might be out of storage in storing a lot of non-warcraft pictures because cloud service might be expensive or maybe limited?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Off topic is well enough hidden for random crap to be going on in there.
It is literally the fourth from the top on the forum list page. How is that better hidden than the media tab?
I am not saying that OT should be censored, but I fail to see how the media suddenly became a problem simply because some people take it too far with the uploads while the OT is FAR messier.
It seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I'll have to bid farewell to the good ol' chat memes. Godspeed you magnificent bastards. You shall remain in the hearts of at least four or five people.
^This

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I am not saying that OT should be censored, but I fail to see how the media suddenly became a problem simply because some people take it too far with the uploads while the OT is FAR messier.
It seems a bit hypocritical to me.
I think because, as opposed to Hive 1.0, here images appear one after the other in chronological upload order and basically everyone is exposed to non-site related material.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I think because, as opposed to Hive 1.0, here images appear one after the other in chronological upload order and basically everyone is exposed to non-site related material.
Not a valid argument.
The "New Posts" tab does the very same by presenting things that people may or may not be interested in.

At the same time, it serves to show people new things, things they may not even know yet that
they might/might not interest them.

Yes, the media tab is doing this more "offensively" but "New Posts" is doing just the same.

I feel that this new rule is way too strict in its current form and is actually damaging Hive's progress
as a website. Yes, we are WC3 focused, but why should I not be able to share other games?
I mean, sure, I can use a pastebin for that kind of shit, but there is no comment or similar function
there. The pastebin, for me at least, is a place to temporarily store stuff or things that are not
ready to go "public" yet. For stuff that is not supposed to be commented on or anything it is good
but the pastebin, again for me at least, is NOT the place to share stuff with others.

Maybe there should be an option to choose whether your image appears in the media gallery or not. If not then it should just contain within ones' own personally gallery, just like in the older days.
^That.
Seperate the albums from the media rather than have albums be part of it.
Perfect solution imo.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Maybe there should be an option to choose whether your image appears in the media gallery or not. If not then it should just contain within ones own personally gallery, just like in the older days.
Sure, and those who won't comply, will be sanctioned.

I'll have to bid farewell to the good ol' chat memes. Godspeed you magnificent bastards. You shall remain in the hearts of at least four or five people.
HiveMemesGaladgodProtection.jpg

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
If you want to "clean up", I advise you to take a closer look at OT first rather than the Media section.
There is much more that required some work in comparison to the media gallery.
Well, to be frank, no there isn't. Because Off-Topic is, as the name states, off-topic i.e. anything that doesn't suit any other forum goes there. It's meant to be that way, while the media section isn't.
Yes, we are WC3 focused, but why should I not be able to share other games?
Go to Gamer's Hub to discuss other games. If that doesn't cover it, talk about it in Off-Topic. And if that doesn't cover it either, then perhaps consider joining a site where your game is in focus. The Hive is first and foremost a Warcraft 3 modding site.
I feel that this new rule is way too strict in its current form and is actually damaging Hive's progress
as a website.
I strongly disagree. If you think this new rule is damaging to the site's progess. Well check this: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/thetease.125473/ - and guess again...

The above media is a perfect example of what will be purged.

Level 21
Sure, and those who won't comply, will be sanctioned.

View attachment 325978
Now THIS is what you should post in the meme section

Go to Gamer's Hub to discuss other games. If that doesn't cover it, talk about it in Off-Topic. And if that doesn't cover it either, then perhaps consider joining a site where your game is in focus. The Hive is first and foremost a Warcraft 3 modding site.
I get the nsfw stuff and other inappropriate things being a issue,but is sharing screenshots from other games really a problem? Do i really need to make a new thread every time want to share a screenshot of how shit Razosh is at HotS?

The above media is a perfect example of what will be purged.
Archian is Arthas confirmed

Archian:We're too late,this entire media section must be purged.
Galadgod:I'm sorry Archian,I can't watch you do this

Ok but seriously,@Archian ,what about @A Void 's suggestion? That way everyone gets what they want.You get a cleaner media section and can purge any nsfw or inappropriate stuff that slips through,and Shar gets to upload screenshot of his diamond sword on minecraft

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Ok but seriously,@Archian ,what about @A Void 's suggestion? That way everyone gets what they want.You get a cleaner media section and can purge any nsfw or inappropriate stuff that slips through,and Shar gets to upload screenshot of his diamond sword on minecraft
Actually more like this:
bgequip-png.325980

(courtesy of @Galadgod, still accurate)

But I agree that the solution suggested by @A Void would be a way to make everyone happy.
Ralle would only need to adjust XenForo settings.

Attachments

• BGEquip.png
    BGEquip.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 473

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I can see why they want to keep the gallery clean, personally, I avoid it like the pest because it is filled with random crap I don't care about so I guess I am a part of the target audience.

Doubt these rules will solve it for me though.

Also hilarious that you choose to meme in a thread which bans memes. Well played.

Level 21
Doubt these rules will solve it for me though.
unless someone's project is converting everything to super hd i doubt you'll care much lol

.. you guys are always going off the deep end.. :/
So far the replies seem fine to me,nothing hostile or unreasonable.Just voicing our disapproval on a public forum,and even offering alternatives.

and shit posting of course

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
unless someone's project is converting everything to super hd i doubt you'll care much lol

More like there is no filter. If it only displayed stuff from people you follow it would be way more useful than just showing what John Doe uploaded.

I assume this is because the media gallery has become so bloated it has become a huge additional expense to host?

Possible, although they suggest moving it to pastebin instead so I doubt it?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Maybe there should be an option to choose whether your image appears in the media gallery or not. If not then it should just contain within ones' own personally gallery, just like in the older days.
We are looking into this.
The "New Posts" tab does the very same by presenting things that people may or may not be interested in.

At the same time, it serves to show people new things, things they may not even know yet that they might/might not interest them.
Yeah, like making a thread in the off-topic forum talking about and posting pictures of games not covered in other forums. For instance, you could make a thread for each game you want to post pictures and talk about.
I assume this is because the media gallery has become so bloated it has become a huge additional expense to host?
Just bloated. Available space is not an issue ;) @Ralle has us covered <3

This is really just about us not wanting Hive to be turned into a landfill/dumping ground for desultory irrelevant web-defecations. At least not in the Gallery.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hive-unrelated meme posting is best done by attaching images to your posts. Pastebin entries can't be seen by guests*, as far as I know. XenForo's interface even allows you to just drag and attach and even Ctrl-V images directly to posts.
* XenForo has an option to hide full-resolution attachments from guests too, but the Hive hasn't ticked that option.

Hive memes should definitely stay ;) [edit: in Media, I mean]

Level 24
Hive meme should go too. It may look cool to you because it's your buddy doing "memes" but it's actually more private jokes hardly anyone care about except 5 people.
It shouldn't be displayed in media section.

Images that are made personally by the hive's members should be celebrated!
However, I do agree clogging up the media page with silly images from ebaumsworld is negatively impacting the purpose of the media page.

Now, might I regale to you the fable of the fauna - Vulpes vulpes and the flora Vitis vinifera?

Status
Not open for further replies.